1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"The Purpose Driven Life" Review

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Deacon, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I finally got “The Purpose Driven Life” by Rick Warren (Zondervan, 2002) after numerous mentions about it in sermons. I’m a little late in this review; Did I miss an earlier review again?

“The Purpose Driven Life” is meant to be read as a devotional, one chapter a day, over 40 days (I’m restraining myself so far-I haven’t jumped ahead!). It was written to help readers answer the question, “What on earth am I here for?” It starts out developing some very basic principles: you are not an accident, what drives you, the reason for everything, etc, then begins developing the real purpose, God’s purpose.

I brought the book to work on Monday, the first day I started reading it. I left it out on my desk. A co-worker friend picked up the book on his own and began reading it. I would describe him as a believer in New Age philosophies, a little bit of this, a little bit of that, no real purpose. He is well educated and well read. He has never been very receptive to the message of Christ but this book is written in language that the New-age influenced person can understand. I’m buying him a copy for his library; perhaps he will read it (I’m toying with the idea of buying 10 copies and leaving a copy on a few other desks).

The book uses many different contemporary versions, including paraphrase versions to express the ideas which the author wants to stress in his book. It certainly livens things up when reading bible texts that you know very well.

One distraction is that the text is printed in maroon print instead of the typical black. It’s a bit tough on the old eyes, but the book is well worth the effort.

You’ve got to read this one, and now it’s offered at $10.99 a copy, it’s a steal! http://www.purposedrivenlife.com/store/index.asp

Rob