1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Purpose Driven Life

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by npetreley, Apr 12, 2006.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Does anyone else but me see this whole "purpose driven life" and "purpose driven church" as being nothing more than feel-good trendy fluff filled with error and unscriptural assumptions?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No. I can see why you do, however. The book is geared around man being made for God's pleasure (5 purposes), and calvinism teaches that some were made for the sole purpose of destruction, making God either...
    A)taking pleasure in man's destruction (which goes against His Word), or
    B)meaning man was made for God's pleasure, and the basis of RW's book is correct.

3. Mel Miller

Mel Miller New Member

npetreley,

Your remarks to me, made just 11 minutes after
    I posted a new topic (The Third Woe) and only
    24 minutes after you posted the above question about RW's Purpose Driven Life, IMO constitutes another set of "feel-good trendy fluff":

Your Quote:

I'll give you credit for at least recognizing
    the subject could be one of a serious nature.

Mel Miller www.lastday.net

4. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

I question Rick Warren's methodology, although I do not know enough about him to question his intent. Of course Warren's theology would not jive with Reformed theology. That goes without saying. A Calvinist can only pray that the Lord uses this too as a means of proclaiming the gospel of repentance to those whom He has called.

5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

npetrely, I'm with you on this. RW's materials are so effective in deceiving because they contain so much truth, but mixed with error nevertheless.

Now someone is probably going to ask me for specifics, but I don't have time. There's tons of info on this issue on the inet. I have several books on it.

I will throw in this one thought - I would think that churches that practice the "regulative" priciple would be able to see right through his inventions.

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please cite your proof for this being what calvinism teaches.
    Or "C", an over-zealous anti-calvinist has once again engaged in straw man construction and the fallacy of limited alternatives.

I choose "C".

7. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

Or "C", an over-zealous anti-calvinist has once again engaged in straw man construction and the fallacy of limited alternatives.

I choose "C".
    </font>[/QUOTE]Bravo Scott for challenging an accusation without support. That is a lesson for all of us...Arminians and Calvinists.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your kidding, right? The misapplication of Romans 9 ring a bell?

There is either man was created (predestined) for destruction, or for God's pleasure according to calvinism...no strawman here, as it can't be both.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I choose "C".
    </font>[/QUOTE]Bravo Scott for challenging an accusation without support. That is a lesson for all of us...Arminians and Calvinists.
    </font>[/QUOTE]The same support you guys' use is the same support I use.

10. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Scott, Bill, watch out, webdog will drag you into the mud real fast.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is good. [​IMG] "Limited Alternatives"? I'm not the one who limit's God's love to "all" and the "world", not to mention the atonement.
    You can choose?!?

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Given that calvinists like to change meanings of words and phrases...care to share what "drag into the mud" means?

13. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

J.D., scroll up. Do you notice the "empty" post I put up? Originally I responded to webdog with a rejoinder that I am sure would get a passionate reply. But upon further reflection I went back and deleted my comments. I covenant to keep my comments on the thread and keep my feelings under control. I may have to let a few zingers that are directed at me go unchallenged but that is alright. It's not about me anyway...right?

Soli Deo Gloria

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You mean those little snack cake Zingers?
    [​IMG]
    Seriously, you claimed I made an accusation without support, to which I responded I use the same support you guys use. If you call this a "zinger", or something personal that doesn't "keep your feelings under control", man, you need to get a little thicker skin.

15. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

[​IMG]
    Seriously, you claimed I made an accusation without support, to which I responded I use the same support you guys use. If you call this a "zinger", or something personal that doesn't "keep your feelings under control", man, you need to get a little thicker skin.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah..but it is appropriate for us to deal in generalizations when scipture is being discussed? Maybe I am just too sensitive (which is entirely possible). When I make a point or an accusation on a point of theology, I feel compelled to back it up with contextual scriptural support. That is if the thread is dealing with theology. I try not to allow the actions of others dictate what I do. webdog, I would be most interested in your scriptural reasons why you believe what you believe as opposed to a blanket statement. I would hope you would want the same from me. That is all I was getting at.

16. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Oh, and I love those Zinger snack cakes. The Raspberry ones are the best.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't feel Romans 9 was a generalization, as it is brought up a lot here, but this is what I was getting at...

Rom 9:20 But who are you--anyone who talks back to God? Will what is formed say to the one who formed it, "Why did you make me like this?"
    Rom 9:21 Or has the potter no right over His clay, to make from the same lump one piece of pottery for honor and another for dishonor?
    Rom 9:22 And what if God, desiring to display His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience objects of wrath ready for destruction?

This same Scripture has been shot at me that man has been created for destruction. Whether you believe that or not, I don't know, but this is the "proof text" thrown at me, the same "proof text" I used to support my claim.

18. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

God created mankind in order to glorify Himself through the human race. Everything points to God's glory...everthing. Sinful man that ends up in hell and redeemed man that will wind up in glory...both glorify God.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

God created mankind in order to glorify Himself through the human race. Everything points to God's glory...everthing. Sinful man that ends up in hell and redeemed man that will wind up in glory...both glorify God. </font>[/QUOTE]this we are in perfect agreement on. The original point I was trying to make, that Scott said "prove calvinism teaches this" was in regards to reformed theology pointing at this text as a "proof" that God creates people for the sole purpose of destruction.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Another "drive by" posting, I see... :rolleyes:

Add to the discussion and don't character assasinate.