1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Rapsure?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Downsville, Sep 12, 2003.

1. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Not the whole "tribulation" is God's wrath. "wrath" isn't mentioned until the 6th seal (Rev 6:16), which when you parallel the seals to Matt 24 (which I won't do here, it's easy enough to do on your own, but note: compare Rev 6:12-17 with Matt 24:29-30), tells us this is after the trib.

But regarding "wrath" in general, God's wrath against the unrighteous does not require the righteous to be removed first (the Israelites in Egypt *during* the plagues, Rom 1:18, etc.) Yes, there are many distinctions in terms of the purpose for various events and actions, who is in focus in a particular passage, etc, but such distinctions do not justify creating the separations in terms of time and place that pretrib requires.

I agree. [​IMG]

2. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Someone has said, 'If Jesus has not returned to the earth, then His work is still incomplete.'

I know what you mean in the sense that you stated your point, but in another sense, if Christ's work was incomplete, when Christians die they could not go to Heaven. Scripture verifies that before our body is cold and stiff, we are with the Lord. [II Cor. 5:8-9; Philippians 1:23] And as a side bar, this truth makes Purgatory, a superfluous, errant concept in theology.

3. Downsville

Downsville New Member

Hi Catholic convert
    you wrote
    Left premillenialism behind, eh? Good fer you!!!
    So what are ye now? By any chance are you Preterist?
    Jesus gave us some very specific "time indicators" in the Scriptures. I find it amazing that when these indicators are presented to premillenialists, they will do contortions to avoid the clear and obvious meaning of our Lord's words.For instance:
    28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
    Jesus makes it quite clear that His parousia will occur before the death of all who were STANDING RIGHT THERE LISTENING TO HIM.

Well,CC. A 1000 yrs is as a day

MARK 9 [1] And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.[2] And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.[3] And his raiment became shining, exceeding white as snow; so as no fuller on earth can white them.[4] And there appeared unto them Elias with Moses: and they were talking with Jesus.[5] And Peter answered and said to Jesus, Master, it is good for us to be here: and let us make three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.[6] For he wist not what to say; for they were sore afraid.[7] And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.

LUKE 9 [27] But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.[28] And it came to pass about an eight days after these sayings, he took Peter and John and James, and went up into a mountain to pray.[29] And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment was white and glistering.[30] And, behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elias:[31] Who appeared in glory, and spake of his decease which he should accomplish at Jerusalem.[32] But Peter and they that were with him were heavy with sleep: and when they were awake, they saw his glory, and the two men that stood with him.[33] And it came to pass, as they departed from him, Peter said unto Jesus, Master, it is good for us to be here: and let us make three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias: not knowing what he said.

2 PETER 3 [7] But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.[8] But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.[9] The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Most all bible scholars say the world since the time of creation to now is about 6000 years.The 1000 yr period of rest cannot be to far away! 2 Peter 3 says” one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day” Mark 9 says “after 6 days”. Luke 9 says” it came to pass about an eight days”. This time frame covers the whole 7th day. The 1000 yr period of rest. They were taken to a high mountain apart. What does this mean?

EZEK.20 [40] For in mine holy mountain, in the mountain of the height of Israel, saith the Lord GOD, there shall all the house of Israel, all of them in the land, serve me: there will I accept them, and there will I require your offerings, and the firstfruits of your oblations, with all your holy things.[41] I will accept you with your sweet savour, when I bring you out from the people, and gather you out of the countries wherein ye have been scattered; and I will be sanctified in you before the heathen.

There it is. The 1000 yr period of rest after the gathering of HIS people

ISAIAH 4 [3] And it shall come to pass, that he that is left in Zion, and he that remaineth in Jerusalem, shall be called holy, even every one that is written among the living in Jerusalem:[4] When the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and shall have purged the blood of Jerusalem from the midst thereof by the spirit of judgment, and by the spirit of burning.[5] And the LORD will create upon every dwelling place of mount Zion, and upon her assemblies, a cloud and smoke by day, and the shining of a flaming fire by night: for upon all the glory shall be a defence.[6] And there shall be a tabernacle for a shadow in the daytime from the heat, and for a place of refuge, and for a covert from storm and from rain.

In Luke 9 this is written, Peter said unto Jesus, Master, it is good for us to be here: and let us make three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias: not knowing what he said. Isaiah 4 explains what this means. Theres no need to make a tabernacle as God has made the tabernacle for shadow.Might also wanna look at cloud of Mark 9 and Isaiah 4.

So CC as ya see, some did not taste death till they saw the kingdom. Aint the WORD of God great!

4. Downsville

Downsville New Member

Well CC
    You might say to me, do ya think they were the 1st time travelers? But before you do, i wanna ask do you believe Jesus could do this if HE so wished?

5. Downsville

Downsville New Member

Hi Ray

JUDE 1 [13] Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.[14] And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,[15] To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints. Now Ray, you said this is those that are raptured that return as the"ten thousands of his saints" But....

DEUT.33 [2] And he said, The LORD came from Sinai, and rose up from Seir unto them; he shined forth from mount Paran, and he came with ten thousands of saints: from his right hand went a fiery law for them.[3] Yea, he loved the people; all his saints are in thy hand: and they sat down at thy feet; every one shall receive of thy words.
    [4] Moses commanded us a law, even the inheritance of the congregation of Jacob.

The LORD came from Sinai, and he came with ten thousands of saints. Who are these"ten thousands of his saints" that were around at the time the 10 commandments were given. Did they dissapear? And if not why wont they be coming with the Lord?

6. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

The question was asked, 'How do we know that the Great Tribulation will last approximately seven years?' We believe that the first 3 ½ years of this future event after the rapture will bring on the entering of the antichrist, the man of sin. [II Thess. 2:3] He will sit in the Temple claiming that he is God. The phenomenon of his grand entrance will come about because of a peace treaty that he will encourage and dominate. After his clever deception He will after this 3 ½ years become a brutal tyrant.

Daniel chapter 12 speaks of the Great Tribulation. Verse 11 points to the exact 3 ½ years that I suggested. The reinstitued sacrifice in the rebuilt Temple [II Thess. 2:4; Daniel 12:11; Revelation 11:1] will end during the mid-Great Tribulation era. [Daniel 12:27b] Also, a terrible abomination in the mind of the Israelites will also take place. Some think it might be a huge portrait of the antichrist placed in the Temple. [12:27c]

The three and one half years is pin pointed also in Revelation 11:2 & 3. You can compute in on your calculator, plus all the additional references that I use in speaking of a time framework.

The two witness of Revelation 11:4 will probably be Elijah and Enoch. Why? Because they never died and God is going to enter them again on the stage of human history. Jesus makes an unequivocal promise that death is appointed unto all human beings. [Hebrews 9:27] His Word says, 'And as it is appointed to men once to die . . . ' If God were not to bring Elijah and Enoch through the valley of the shadow of death, our Lord would be in disagreement with His statement in Hebrews nine.

I hope this Scriptural post will give you some insight into why there will be a seven year Great Tribulation period of time. By way of conclusion, Daniel 12:11; under the Old Covenant, and Revelation 11; 12:6; 13:5and twelve verse six under the 'better covenant' of grace points to this unprecedented future event.

Revelation 11:13 and Zechariah 14:1-5 especially verse four refers to the Second Coming of Christ where He sets His feet down on the Mount of Olives. Please, not in I Thess. 4:17 He only comes down to the cloud level, not to the ground level. In the rapture Jesus comes for His saints; at the Second Coming seven years later, He comes with all His saints. [Zechariah 14:5f; Revelation 19:14]

In Revelation 11:13 there is an earthquake, murdering of Israelites, and Zechariah 14:4 this same earthquake will rearrange the topography of Jerusalem and the Jews will experience death and rape in their city. In the Second Coming there is the Lord's judgment on sinners; at the rapture or the gathering of the saints into Heaven, there was hope and peace for the Thessalonian Church [I Thess. 4:18] and that hope and comfort is resident in our hearts today as Christians.

7. BrianT

BrianT New Member

If you are referring to my question, I'm sorry for not being clearer. I already understand the pretrib understanding about the 70th "week". What I should have added to my question is "Again, where is this "seven years later" stated in scripture *as being after the rapture*?

Hmmm. Earlier you said this passage teaches we are raptured to "heaven". This passage does not say where Christ goes after he gathers us in the clouds, but I assume he goes somewhere (as opposed to just sitting in those clouds for a while). So since the passage does not say where he goes afterward, he can come to earth just as easily as returning to heaven, and the verse would still be true and applicable.

AGAIN, he can do both at the same time. Even in pretrib this is evident: 1 Thess 4:14 says he brings saints WITH him. And even in pretrib, after the tribulation he comes FOR "trib" saints.

No rapture passage ever mentions "heaven", only that we will be with Christ whereever he is. In amill and posttrib/premill, this is the earth.

I agree. The hope is in the *event* of being gathered to Christ. Not the *timing* of that event.

8. CatholicConvert

CatholicConvert New Member

Thank you for proving my point about wretched exegesis and doing verbal gymnastics to try to avoid the literal meaning of the words of our Lord.

You are taking that quote ENTIRELY OUT OF CONTEXT of what St. Peter was saying in 2 Peter 3. When the Lord talks, unless it is specified that He is speaking in a parable, He uses our language and the words mean exactly what they mean.

Well, let's see if this is true. Using the Bible to understand the Bible, look at Matthew:

Mt 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Whooooops. WHERE were the angels at the Transfiguration? Where was the beginning of the Judgement Day? Where was the resurrection? NONE of that happened, therefore, your assertion, as cute as it is, is entirely false and your own opinion.

Furthermore, Jesus didn't say that those standing with Him would see a representation or type of His coming. He said they would see His coming. And it did not happen at the Transfiguration. End of story.

Brian --

No, I am most certainly NOT a "full preterist". Those people are crazy. They very subtility deny the bodily resurrection for a "spiritualized" resurrection which fits their spiritualized kingdom.

Neither full Preterism nor Premillenialism fits the covenantal framework of our Lord's work with humanity.

Brother Ed

9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    2Thess 2:5 This is a plain indication of God's righteous judgment so that you will be considered worthy of the kingdom of God, for which indeed you are suffering.
    6 For after all it is only just for God to repay with affliction those who afflict you,
    7 and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire,
    8 dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
    9 These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,
    10 when He comes to be glorified in His saints on that day, and to be marveled at among all who have believed for our testimony to you was believed.

Their errors in understanding the Bible view of history costs them. But it also allows them to ignore the part that the RCC played in history as described in the Bible. So possibly they view it as a "trade off".

In Christ,

Bob

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. ALL prophetic timelines are contiguous in scripture - without exception. That includes the 70 weeks of Daniel. Breaking them up and inserting undefined gaps of time in the middle - destroys their timeline. 70Weeks would make "no sense" in that model.

#2. IF God intended to tell Christians in Matt 24 or Rev 5-15 that they would not be suffering - then in light of the dark ages - He owes Christians an apology. In fact - in Somalia alone He would owe an apology.

The Rapture of 1Thess 4 is the "resurrection of the dead in Christ" these the "righteous" of the resurrection John calls the "First Resurrection" in Rev 20. That resurrection starts the literal 1000 years according to the chapter.

It is plain.

In Christ,

Bob

11. Downsville

Downsville New Member

Hi Catholic convert
    you wrote
    Thank you for proving my point about wretched exegesis and doing verbal gymnastics to try to avoid the literal meaning of the words of our Lord.

I knew that was comin. Thanks.

12. Downsville

Downsville New Member

Hey all

WHEN SHALL WE “ALL” BE CHANGED?

1COR.15[50] Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.[51] Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,[52] In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.[53] For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.[54] So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

JOB 14 [12] So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.[13] O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me![14] If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come.

Job knew when we shall “ALL” be changed. After the wrath has past and after the heavens be no more.
    Yup, its the DAY OF THE LORD. In Isaiah 34 which is describing the “DAY OF THE LORD” the WORD says that at that time the heavens will be no more, they shall be dissolved.

Also you might wanna note whats written in Job 14, If a man die, shall he live again? You will also find this question in the new testament.People have- whoops gotta go, suppers done

13. Downsville

Downsville New Member

Hi "all"(everyone)

There are various ways to prove in scripture when we shall all be changed to His likeness

PSALM 17 [13] Arise, O LORD, disappoint him, cast him down: deliver my soul from the wicked, which is thy sword:[14] From men which are thy hand, O LORD, from men of the world, which have their portion in this life, and whose belly thou fillest with thy hid treasure: they are full of children, and leave the rest of their substance to their babes.[15] As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.

When will the resurrection take place? When shall we all be change? When shall we awake with HIS
    likeness(Psalm 17 verse 15)?

ARISE, O LORD(theres a clue)

PSALM 7 [6] Arise, O LORD, in thine anger, lift up thyself because of the rage of mine enemies: and awake for me to the judgment that thou hast commanded.[7] So shall the congregation of the people compass thee about: for their sakes therefore return thou on high.[8] The LORD shall judge the people: judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity that is in me.

Yea, no room for a rapture here.

ISAIAH 2 [19] And they shall go into the holes of the rocks, and into the caves of the earth, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth.[20] In that day a man shall cast his idols of silver, and his idols of gold, which they made each one for himself to worship, to the moles and to the bats;[21] To go into the clefts of the rocks, and into the tops of the ragged rocks, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth.

Yea, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth. The DAY OF THE LORD. Thats when we shall "all"(all who is left) be changed to His likeness.

14. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Brian T,

You said, 'Not the whole "tribulation" is God's wrath. "wrath" isn't mentioned until the
    6th seal (Rev 6:16), which when you parallel the seals to Matt 24 (which I
    won't do here, it's easy enough to do on your own, but note: compare Rev
    6:12-17 with Matt 24:29-30), tells us this is after the trib.

But regarding "wrath" in general, God's wrath against the unrighteous does
    not require the righteous to be removed first (the Israelites in Egypt
    *during* the plagues, Rom 1:18, etc.)

I am saying, that the Great Tribulation will last for seven years. The real rage and wrath will not start until about mid-Tribulation which will be 3 1/2 years after Christ takes His church to Heaven.

The judgements against sinners will start at mid-Tribulation and these judgments start with Revelation chapter six through chapter nineteen. Christians will not go through the Great Tribulation because the Lord has promised us hope and comfort [I Thess. 4:18] as we await His arrival via the trumpet blast. This is what He means when He says that He has ' . . . not appointed us to {His} wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ . . . . comfort yourselves together . . . ' [I Thess. 5:9-11]

The Christian martyrs will be those who miss the rapture. [Rev. 7:14] They will not take the 'mark of the beast' {the antichrist} and will pay with their death in order to be accepted by Jesus above. To take the 'mark' {666} is to become a forever, damned soul.

15. Kamoroso

Kamoroso New Member

AS A THIEF

Matt 24:37-47
    37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
    38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
    39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
    40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
    41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
    42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
    43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.
    44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

The context here is not that the Lord's coming will be a secret, but rather a surprise. Just as the world was surprised by the flood, because they did not believe it would happen, so will the world be surprised when Christ returns because they do not believe in Him. Those who were left behind in the flood died, so will those who are left behind when Christ returns. Peter speaks of this.

2 Pet 3:5-12
    5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
    6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
    7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
    8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
    9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
    10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Here again, the Lord does come as a thief, but not in secret. It would be hard for the people in the world not to know that the heavens, and the earth were being burned up. Just as those who refused to accept God's salvation through Noah were destroyed by the flood, so those who refuse to accept God's salvation through the Lord Jesus Christ will be destroyed by fire. This event could hardly be kept a secret.

Luke 12:34-42
    34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
    35 Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning;
    36 And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately.
    37 Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.
    38 And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.
    39 And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through.
    40 Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.

Once again, the message here is not that Christ's coming will be a secret, but rather a surprise. The warning is to be ready, so as not to be caught off guard.

1Thes 5:1-4
    1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.
    2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
    3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
    4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.

Again, those who are awaiting the Lord's return will not be overtaken as by a thief. However, sudden destruction comes upon those who are not ready and waiting upon the Lord.

Rev 3:3
    3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

Rev 16:15
    15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

The above scriptures, are all the scriptures in the new testament that use the word thief in regard to the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. The word secret is not found at all among them. Nor do the above verses present any conclusive statement, or argument to the effect that Christ will return again in secret. However, the word secret is used in the new testament scriptures while addressing the topic of the return of the Lord Jesus Christ. This scripture however, is a warning against believing anyone who says that Christ has returned in secret. We are not to believe this kind of report. Yet, the greatest majority of Christendom, believe the secret rapture theory.

Matt 24:23-27
    23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
    24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
    25 Behold, I have told you before.
    26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
    27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Bye for now. Y. b. in C. Keith

16. Kamoroso

Kamoroso New Member

Food for thought.

At the time of the Reformation, most of the reformers understood the prophecy of the Antichrist to refer to the great apostate system of Romanism that developed during the Middle Ages. Of course, Rome did not appreciate this interpretation. Please notice Rome's course of action to nullify this interpretation:

"So great a hold did the conviction that the Papacy was the Antichrist gain upon the minds of men, that Rome at last saw she must bestir herself, and try, by putting forth other systems of interpretation, to counteract the identification of the Papacy with the Antichrist.

"Accordingly, toward the close of the century of the Reformation, two of the most learned doctors set themselves to the task, each endeavoring by differnt means to accomplish the same end, namely, that of diverting men's minds from perceiving the fulfillment of the prophecies of the Antichrist in the papal system. The Jesuit Alcasar devoted himself to bring into prominence the preterist method of interpretation,...and thus endeavored to show that the prophecies of Antichrist were fulfilled before the popes ever ruled in Rome, and therefore could not apply to the Papacy.

"On the other hand, the Jesuit Ribera tried to set aside the application of these prophecies to the papal power by bringing out the futurist system, which asserts that these prophecies refer properly, not to the career of the Papacy, but to some future supernatural individual, who is yet to appear, and continue in power for three and a half years. Thus, as Alford says, the Jesuit Ribera, about A.D. 1580, may be regarded as the founder of the futurist system of modern times.

"...It is a matter for deep regret that those who advocate the futurist system at the present day, Protestants as they are for the most part, are really playing into the hands of Rome, and helping to screen the Papacy from detection as the Antichrist." (Revered Joseph Tanner, Daniel and the Revelation, pp. 16,17)

Thus, the whole theory of the secret rapture with its future Antichrist had its origin with the Jesuits in an attempt to take the blame off the Papacy.

The origin of the two-phase coming of Christ has an equally unsavory history. It was not until around the year 1830 that this view began to be taught! In the church pastored by Edward Irving, a Miss Margaret McDonald gave what was believed at the time to be an inspired utterance. She spoke of the visible, open and glorious second coming of Christ. BUT as the utterance continued, she spoke of another coming of Christ, a secret and special coming in which those that were truly ready would be raptured.

It was John Nelson Darby, a Brethren preacher and diligent writer of the time in England, however, who was largely responsible for introducing this new teaching on a large scale. The teaching spread to the United States in the 1850's and 1860's, where it was to receive its biggest boost when Cyrus Ingerson Scofield, a strong believer in Darby's teachings, incorporated it into the notes of his "Scofield Reference Bible" which was published in 1909. Since that time, this view has been widely accepted,often by people who are completely unaware that this was not the belief held by Christians over the centuries. Many fine Christians hold his view today who have never questioned it.

Bye for now. Y. b. in C. Keith

17. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

The "ALL" is determined by the audience to whom the Author was writing. Since ALL of Paul's letters are written to BELIEVING CHRISTIANS, it seems well thought out to believe Paul is saying that BELIEVING CHRISTIANS will be Changed. The "when" is at the discretion of God.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1Thess 4 "WE who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with THEM in the air" - the context shows this is the living saints and the resurrected saints.

1Cor 15 "We shall all be changed" - references that same event - and the context is the "WE" that will bear the "image of the heavenly".

1Cor 6 "already" made it clear that the wicked never get eternal life.

In Christ,

Bob

19. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Many people who believe in the PreTribulation view of eschatology also believe that a future pope will be the antichrist so the one who said, ' ...It is a matter for deep regret that those who advocate the futurist system at the present day, Protestants as they are for the most part, are really playing into the hands of Rome, and helping to screen the Papacy from detection as the Antichrist." (Revered Joseph Tanner, Daniel and the Revelation, pp. 16,17),' is totally wrong and sound like he knows as much about Scriptural eschatology as I do about rocket science.

I do not know who will be the antichrist; it is my ministry to know Christ better myself and to lead other men and women to the foot of the Cross so they can be joined to Christ by faith.

The Apostle Paul believed that Christ will come for the church before the Great Tribulation and the Second Coming of our Lord. This may have been lost to the Roman Catholic Church during the Dark Ages of their apostasy, but thank the Lord it has been mined out of the Bible by evangelical theologians like Dr. Walvoord a former President of Dallas Theological Seminary.

20. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

It would be more accurate to say that the Roman Catholic has shrouded ideas like the catching away of the saints to Heaven, the Great Tribulation, the Millenimum, the antichrist and other future important things, by never or almost never using these passages in their Gospel readings in their mass. How long has it been since Catholics have heard a homily on any of these spiritual topics?

Protestantism at least has studied these ideas and have formed them into an end times theology of the way it is going to be as His Providence unfolds. Some denominations have followed the lead of the Catholic Church, unwittingly, and have spiritualized or turned these ideas into symbolic concepts, thus losing the true meaning of the Lord's message to Christians.