1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Real Assault on America

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, May 17, 2006.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A very, very good column by Mr. Roberts.

The Real Assault on America

By Paul Craig Roberts

The neoconservative Bush regime has adroitly used 9/11 to create fear of terrorism among Americans that blinds Americans to the Bush regime’s assault on our constitutional system. Americans have meekly acquiesced to the Bush regime’s brutal assaults on civil liberties, human rights, the separation of powers, and statutory law, because Americans have been brainwashed to believe that the “war on terror” takes precedence and cannot be waged under the rules established by the Founding Fathers.

By elevating its “war on terror” above the US Constitution, the neoconservative Bush regime has made itself a far greater threat to Americans than are foreign terrorists. Two constitutional scholars, Timothy Lynch and Gene Healy, document the Bush regime’s forceful assault on the US Constitution in “Power Surge: The Constitutional Record of George W. Bush” released May 3 by the Cato Institute in Washington, D.C.

Lynch and Healy show that Bush has failed in his most important responsibility “to preserve, protect and defend” the Constitution and, thus, is in violation of his sworn oath of office. The two scholars document the Bush regime’s “ceaseless push for power, unchecked by either the Courts or Congress” on issues ranging from war powers, habeas corpus, and federalism to free speech and unwarranted surveillance. Bush’s assault on the Constitution “should disturb people from across the political spectrum.”

Alas, it doesn’t. Many Americans believe that Bush’s dictatorial powers will only be applied to terrorists. This belief is extremely foolish, because it means that “the liberty of every American rests on nothing more than the grace of the White House.”

- rest at LINK

2. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To which I politely reply...

Bunk. :rolleyes:

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Which proves the point of the article! [​IMG]

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If 9/11 did not in and of itself put some fear in to you thenget your head out of the sand.

6. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

For me not so much fear as anger...

When I saw the second plane I knew what it was...

When I saw the first tower fall my very human first reaction was Nuke 'em all!...

But, there was no particular person, place or thing to Nuke...

Whether for good or ill reasons we went into Iraq.

Saddam was a despot that absolutely needed deposing...

If for no other reason that to reunite the nation and heal our collective psyche's the initial days of the Iraq campain was a good thing...

But, politics got in the way...

Political correctness got in the way...

As to dying...

My life is not my own...

It is hid in Christ...

I can die on the hiways about as likely as a terrorist attack...

Of course, I live in the middle of nowhere, too...

But, I got angry...

Angry, that these cowards did such a thing...

Angry, that we failed to hear and see all the warnings at so many levels...

Angry, that citizens that had 'bad feelings' didn't make a pain of themselves until someone listened...

It wasn't just an intelligence failure...

It was a national failure as we have allowed the dependence on government to occult the need to be prepared and alert ourselves...

SMM

7. billwald

billwald New Member

Agree with the essay. Most Americans are only interested in sports and the price of gas.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

</font>[/QUOTE]Which proves the point of the article! [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Hardly.

I firmly adhere to Psalms 27:1

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True. Which is why so many are susceptible to the negativity against Bush's actions in Iraq. If the price of gas had not risen so greatly, Bush would undoubtedly enjoy a decent approval rating and the GOP would not be in danger of losing Congress.

It is also why so few are willing to make the long term sacrifices in support of a broad war on terrorism. We are fighting terrorists in Iraq. That may not have been the plan but it is the reality... Yet many of the same people who claimed they were ready to take up a rifle themselves on 9/12 now oppose our war with them in Iraq.

Iraq became a convenient political hammer to bash Bush with.

Reports today indicated that Russia and China aren't even willing to consider sanctions against Iran much less military intervention. Unilateral action of course is now off the table since politicians must have noticed how politically vulnerable it left Bush.

It is time to face the new... new world order. Iran will have the bomb. Terrorists in the name of jihad will strike the west and Israel with impugnity under the umbrella of Iran's threat of nukes if the west responds.

Congratulations are in order for the Bush-haters, libs, and Dems. You've gotten what you asked for... whether you wanted it or not.

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

And that's where you lose me. When you have to resort to such drama in order to convince me that President Bush is bad, rather than to address the issues on their own merits, then you have no case.

This is the same idiotic thing you posted on CF.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's thank God for no military intervention and no unilateral action. [​IMG]

I would be willing to go along with some kind of sanctions regime if it is ever proven that Iran has violated the Non-Proliferation Treaty in order to build a nuclear weapon.

12. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's thank God for no military intervention and no unilateral action. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE] Thank God that the Iranians are going to negotiate with appeasers much like Hitler did? No thanks. You seem to be operating under the delusion that Iran and more specifically their brand of Islam is benign.

You bet. By the time we know, sanctions will be impotent.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So because we don't trust the Iranian leadership we should start a war with Iran that will at least double the price of oil, which would cripple the U.S. and world economies and could put 20 million Americans out of work, without any proof that Iran is trying to build a nuclear weapon?

I can't go along with such an idea. I just can't.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I spread the truth beyond the borders of the Baptist Board. [​IMG]

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Neither should we be foolish enough to wait and appease on the hope that they'll play nice. There is a zero probability that their intentions are benign. They've already made this fact very clear.

Instead, you'd rather leave our children with an Iran that cannot be stopped from bullying nations around the world and supporting worse terrorism than we've ever seen unless we're willing to commit to a nuclear WWIII?

You apparently don't take their threats seriously. I do... the time when we could afford to blow their threats off is long passed.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Scott,
    The only threat to this nation you take seriously is one in which there is no sacrifice on your part. &lt;personal attack deleted - LE&gt;

[ May 18, 2006, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: LadyEagle ]

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is false. Why would you ever say such a thing? You don't know me and I DID stand ready to go if my country had called me. You need to get over yourself.

In fact, my response to Ken came from concern that my children will bleed because we don't stop those who believe with absolute religious conviction that their mission is to rid the world of all enemies of Islam... which to them is pretty much everyone who won't convert.

If you think I wouldn't sacrifice my life for their safety, you are out of your mind.

[ May 18, 2006, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: LadyEagle ]

18. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I spread the truth beyond the borders of the Baptist Board. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]You spread manure.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for not using a cruder word. [​IMG]

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no desire to see President Bush involve our country in a third Middle East war based on mere intentions. I have already been deceived once by President Bush on Iraq. I have no intention of allowing myself to be deceived a second time by the president. If he wants my support for starting a war with Iran he will have to present real evidence this time. I will not support military action against Iran based simply on his say-so.