1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The real message of Sodom and Gomorrah

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the moment I am watching "To the Contrary" on PBS. The host, Bonnie Erbe interviewed pastors of "open & affirming churches" aka encourage hom0sexulas to join and participate.

The pastor of The church of Red Rocks (UCC) said that the story of Sodom and Gomorrah was really about accepting your neighbors.

The views of Covenant Baptist United Church of Christ (formerly SBC) changed its views when President Obama encourage acceptance of the hom0sexual community.

2. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty, it would seem to me these folks can participate in their "open & affirming churches" all they want but I doubt they will change what's written.
    For example, we can read in Mark 16

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

The Commandment here is to, Go ye into the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Notice the text wherein it's explained of those who will be saved and those who will be "damned". The list of signs, the handling of snakes and drinking poison appear to me to be symbolic in that once one is saved their life turns around.

Yes, we're to preach the gospel to all if only through our life style and attitudes but those who claim to come to Jesus and remain in their sinful and lustful relationships (homosexuality) will be those who find themselves damned.

Those advocating "open & affirming churches" are but a mockery of the Scripture.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sad but true.

also - I wonder what other sins these churches would be so welcome and affirming for.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's quite an extensive type of apostate Judaism that can be drawn out, involving particularly the evil that befell 'that generation' during the last days:

32 For their vine is of the vine of Sodom, And of the fields of Gomorrah: Their grapes are grapes of gall, Their clusters are bitter:
    33 Their wine is the poison of serpents, And the cruel venom of asps. Dt 32:32,33

8 And their dead bodies lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also their Lord was crucified. Rev 11

10 Hear the word of Jehovah, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.
    11 What unto me is the multitude of your sacrifices? saith Jehovah: I have had enough of the burnt-offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he-goats.
    12 When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to trample my courts?
    13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; new moon and sabbath, the calling of assemblies,- I cannot away with iniquity and the solemn meeting.
    14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth; they are a trouble unto me; I am weary of bearing them.
    15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you; yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood Isa 1:10-15

28 Likewise even as it came to pass in the days of Lot; they ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;
    29 but in the day that Lot went out from Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all:
    30 after the same manner shall it be in the day that the Son of man is revealed.
    31 In that day, he that shall be on the housetop, and his goods in the house, let him not go down to take them away: and let him that is in the field likewise not return back.
    32 Remember Lot`s wife. Lu 17:28-32

#4 kyredneck, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
  5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Don't we encourage all sinners to join and participate?:confused:

Yall should just invent a game called Six Degrees of Separation Obama style because yall have managed to attach this man's name to all that is wrong in the world.

My dog died. Well Obama did cause the price of animal care to go up...
    I stumped my big toe last night. Well Obama did cause energy prices to go up so I didn't turn on the lights...
    The grass in my yard is dying. Well Obama did talk to God and asked Him not to let it rain in your city...

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow ... the real story of Sodom and Gomorrah was to accept one's neighbor?

(Scratching my head) :confused:

I suppose if you look at it from the perspective of the wicked crowd who wanted to rape the angels (I know, they thought they were men) - the message would be "accept" your neighbor. (sorry - *shudder*)

But from God's perspective it was "do not pitch your 'tent' (your life) towards evil or before you know it you will be in the thick of it and even though you may escape you may leave a trail of devastation behind you in terms of those you love.

As far as practicing homosexuals serving in the church worship service - that is not acceptable.

Practicing sinners (I guess we all are) - but sinners OK with their sin, under no conviction, by their open example leading others into justifying their own sin, and refusing to give it up - should not be in any place of leadership - teaching, preaching, singing in the choir ... etc.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless those churches also require the saved persons to renounce their lifestyles and to live in a biblcal way before christ, then they have NO basis to call and consider themselves to be a real church, just a social club of people who have not the true Gospel and the true messiah!

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Attend the service - YES
    be leaders in the church - NO

You do realize that I did not attach Obamas name to this story - it was the program Host who so stated.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

You quoted join and participate. You didn't say anything about being a leader.

Yes I do realize that.

But as this board testifies, a lot of you are walking hand in hand with if there's an issue, it can be traced back to Obama.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He has be an ambassador for whichever god he really does worship, but the problem is that his message does not square with that of the real God!

11. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is an Obama?

12. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

48 As I live, saith the Lord God, Sodom thy sister hath not done, she nor her daughters, as thou hast done, thou and thy daughters.

49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.

50 And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good.

It's funny how people ignore the full meaning of Sodom's sin.

Pride

Fullness of Bread

Idleness of Time

Ignore the Poor

Sexual Abomination

Each of these can be assigned to the United States with ease.

The church chooses only one as a warning to it's sheep.

Homosexuality

I've often wondered why the church and Christians do that when it's apparent more than sexual sin destroyed these cities and can destroy us.

It is because we are guilty of the others.

13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FWIW, from the book of Jasher:

11 In those days all the people of Sodom and Gomorrah, and of the whole five cities, were exceedingly wicked and sinful against the Lord and they provoked the Lord with their abominations, and they strengthened in aging abominably and scornfully before the Lord, and their wickedness and crimes were in those days great before the Lord.
    12 And they had in their land a very extensive valley, about half a day's walk, and in it there were fountains of water and a great deal of herbage surrounding the water.
    13 And all the people of Sodom and Gomorrah went there four times in the year, with their wives and children and all belonging to them, and they rejoiced there with timbrels and dances.
    14 And in the time of rejoicing they would all rise and lay hold of their neighbor's wives, and some, the virgin daughters of their neighbors, and they enjoyed them, and each man saw his wife and daughter in the hands of his neighbor and did not say a word.
    15 And they did so from morning to night, and they afterward returned home each man to his house and each woman to her tent; so they always did four times in the year.
    16 Also when a stranger came into their cities and brought goods which he had purchased with a view to dispose of there, the people of these cities would assemble, men, women and children, young and old, and go to the man and take his goods by force, giving a little to each man until there was an end to all the goods of the owner which he had brought into the land.
    17 And if the owner of the goods quarreled with them, saying, What is this work which you have done to me, then they would approach to him one by one, and each would show him the little which he took and taunt him, saying, I only took that little which thou didst give me; and when he heard this from them all, he would arise and go from them in sorrow and bitterness of soul, when they would all arise and go after him, and drive him out of the city with great noise and tumult. Jasher 18
    44 And the Lord was provoked at this and at all the works of the cities of Sodom, for they had abundance of food, and had tranquility amongst them, and still would not sustain the poor and the needy, and in those days their evil doings and sins became great before the Lord.
    45 And the Lord sent for two of the angels that had come to Abraham's house, to destroy Sodom and its cities. Jasher 19

14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    plain_n_simple

Many sodomites use this passage as if it makes that which was an abomination go away.
    It does not.
    All the other sins were there because they were so busy sodomizing each other they had no time to do what they were supposed to do.

Jude makes it clear they were destroyed for ...going after strange flesh...

levitcus 18 is clear that this sin...defiles the land. read it;

18 Neither shalt thou take a wife to her sister, to vex her, to uncover her nakedness, beside the other in her life time.

19 Also thou shalt not approach unto a woman to uncover her nakedness, as long as she is put apart for her uncleanness.

20 Moreover thou shalt not lie carnally with thy neighbour's wife, to defile thyself with her.

21 And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the Lord.

22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

23 Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion.

24 Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out before you:

25 And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants.

26 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you:

27 (For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiled;)

28 That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that were before you.

29 For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people.

30 Therefore shall ye keep mine ordinance, that ye commit not any one of these abominable customs, which were committed before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I am the Lord your God.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 19
    23 The sun was risen upon the earth when Lot entered into Zoar.
    24 Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven;
    25 And he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the the cities, and that which grew upon the ground.

Seems a bit harsh for not accepting your neighbors.

HankD