1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The REAL reason for the Iraq war

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by robycop3, Jun 20, 2006.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, so no WMDs were found, nor bio warfare weapons, nor deadly chemical plants...but the war against Saddam's regime went forward anyway, after these facts were known. Wanna know why? (Hint: it aint cuz the Bushes hated Saddam's guts! They prolly hate Fidel or Kim Il-Jong as much if not more!)

The answer?

CAREFULLY READ ALL OF ISAIAH 13!

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Ok, I read it, what are you getting at?

3. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

Yeah I read it too and wonder what you're getting at. Most of what I see relates to the Book of Revelations and the Great Tribulation. So not certain of your Iraq War reasoning....

4. whatever

whatever New Member

Are we the Medes then?

5. Soulman

Soulman New Member

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's take a look. the following verses are from isaiah 13, NKJV:

5 They come from a far country,
    From the end of heaven—
    The LORD and His weapons of indignation,
    To destroy the whole land.

Now, Media/Persia was a next-door neighbor, & NOT from a far land, "from the end of heaven". And they didn't destroy Babylon; instead, Nabonidus, father of Belshazzar, surrendered to Cyrus shortly after the city of Babylon fell, and became Cyrus' vassal. OTOH, the "coalition" forces have almost all come from far away...and they have dealt out more destruction in Iraq (Babylon) than either Cyrus or Alexander The Great did.

Verses 6 thru 13 deal with "the day of the Lord" over the whole earth.

Yes, the Medes conquered babylon, but they didn't destroy it. The city continued for about 300 more years. At first, it was made a provincial capital by Cyrus, but later Persian rulers replaced Babylon as capital with other cities such as Susa, and Babylon soon declined in size & importance. Soon after the Greeks conquered the area, Babylon was abandoned, with much of its building material carted off to make structures elsewhere. The nearest inhabited area in the area of the site of Babylon is the modern Iraqi town of Al-Hillah. And from the time of the Greek rule of the area till now, the bounds of the old city have not been inhabited, despite its seemingly-choice location. The Moslems are well aware of God's curse on the area.

The modern Iran-Iraq war had nothing to do with this prophecy, far as I know. In fact, Iraq was winning until the "Great Powers" made the war stop.

There's no denying that many Babylonians fell to the swords of Persia and Greece, but it wasn't until modern times that destruction was dealt out wholesale against the government of Iraq. Remember, Saddamclaims to be a descendant of Nebuchadnezzar & had built what he believed was a replica of his palace within the bounds of the ancient city.

As for the Medes...We don't know if all their ancestors are within Iran or not. Some could well be living in Iraq, whether they know they're Medes or not(as also Persians might be), as well as some other Iranians seeking revenge for acts committed during the Iran-Iraq war. They COULD be(not set in stone, of course) behind some of the bombs set off against Iraqis that indeed dash children & young men to pieces. Iraq is certainly in great turmoil now, with most of its citizens not knowing who's actually in charge, their own lives uncertain, always looking over their shoulders to see whose militia is patrolling the streets today.

Can YOU(any other readers) supply any other valid reason for the USA's attack upon Iraq?

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Three years later, it must be the oil right? Crude and gas prices have continued to climb, but it must be the oil we were after!

8. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

It might have to do with long-term military strategy of the middle-east, but that would be too difficult to explain here.

9. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Webdog has a point about the cintinuation of the war...but I wonder if that was the ACTUAL CAUSE for the war to have started at all? It would seem that if oil were the cause, we coulda extorted mucho oil outta Mexico and some of the oil-rich little sultanates, including Kuwait, which we saved from Saddam.

I just cannot see any other reason for the USA to have attacked Iraq for the 2nd time.

10. macfreak76

macfreak76 New Member

It continues to amaze me that people actually think that the reason we went to war was for the "oil" . Fire up Google and search for quotes during the Clinton administration as to which prominent Democrats believed that Saddam had WMD's. It just seems convenient that when things get difficult in Iraq, people want to play the partisan card and claim the big, bad neo-cons lied to everyone, and just as quickly forget their own (politicians) statements supporting the common belief that he had WMD's. I've been over to Iraq twice now on deployment , and cant' wait to get back and do my part bringing democracy to these people.

11. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

The difference is the Clinton administration might have thought that Iraq had WMD BUT they didn't invade the country. I'm convinced that China has nuclear weapons but I don't think we should invade China.

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Hey, take my word for it. The take-over of Iraq was a long-term military strategy that is not exactly widely discussed for national security. WMD's were always a consideration and although some intelligence agencies may have not been accurate Saddam gloried in making us "think" he had WMD's. However, WMD's was not the strategic reason.

You can put this together if you think about the past history of the neighboring countries beginning East of Iraq and then consider the ocean below Iraq and the countries ABOVE Iraq. This takes some thought and knowledge of the middle eastern situation and America's national security -- NOT OIL.

13. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Regardless of the fact that I do not believe WMD's were the major reason for attacking, there is a big difference between China, who wants America as a buying partner and Saddam who claimed he wanted to destroy Israel and was not only building the bombs to do it before the first war, but was building missiles AND artillery that would reach Israel. Quite a difference in "risk" factor.

Same with Iran, but a much tougher situation due to the fact that Iranians are Persians and there are MILLIONS of them and not thousands like Iraq.

14. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Prayers Please

:praying: I'd appreciate everybodies prayers for my USMC son who deploys to Iraq in August. He is rare'n to go but I can't say I'm thrilled even though I support why we went and why we are still there. My boy is NOT..as far as I know,saved.:tear: Please add him to your prayer lists...those of you who have one....Thanks.

Greg Sr.:saint:

15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OF COURSE, Mr. Perry!

Some of my sons' friends are already there.

16. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Greg, where's your son gonna be?

Mr Perry,
    I am already here on a Marine base. Maybe your son is coming here? I would love for the Hound of Heaven to use me to reach him while you pray.

Incidentally, in answer to this thread: I remember almost overnight in early 03 the talk went from WMD's (when there was no clear evidence from Blix's crowd) to "liberating the Iraqi people". Hmmm. Well, whatever it takes.

17. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Gregory, it is the warfighter who is the hero here. Regardless of the reason we are there, just the fact that these men and women will go to war for us says a LOT for their character.

Prayer works wonders. With your permission I will put him on our churches prayer list for both safety and his salvation. I have seen AMAZING things occur who have been on our prayer list. Not bragging, just that prayer works and I've seen it.

If you get a chance, tell your son that we civilian DOD employees support our warfighters to the depths of our hearts.

You and your family will also be in our prayers.

18. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

reason

Okay, this is not secret, it is simply historical fact that you can look up yourself.

During the cold war, the US needed an allied buffer zone between the gulf and Russia (USSR). With Russian trying to take Afganistan for the same reason. You don't think Russia cared about the mountains of Afganistan, do you?

Now, we had the Shah in our back pocket so he provided the location for bases and full buffer zone to keep Russia from having unlimited movement and access to the gulf.

When the Shah was replaced by a radical leader and Americans were kidnapped we had no allied country. Iraq was the lesser of the evils.

When the Iranians decided to cross the boarder of Iraq with millions (and I mean millions) of soldiers we made friends with Saddam.

It is guessed that the WMD's recently found in the form of chemical shells came from Pine Bluff Arkansas to help keep the front from being overrun and short of nuclear weapons.

Then Iraq invaded their neighbor with its oil wells. We couldn't put up with that because he had already made it clear that Saudia Arabia was next. Therefore, it would take out a lot of the oil that America was drilling for.

Plus, the second issue was the military strategy of maintaining an open corridor from the gulf up through Russia.

Finally, and the third reason, our nut-case started gassing his own people, which was far outside of the agreements.

This was all done innocently and it just continued to snowball until we HAD to do something about the situation.

With Israel having nuclear weapons, it would be too easy for the middle east to get into a nuclear exchange with a rogue dictator. We also have to deal with the terrorists that were training in camps in Iraq and we have to deal with Syria, who's dictator is just as ruthless, if not more so, but a lot smarter.

For these reasons, we had no choice but to correct the situation with the WMD's fairly low on the list of reasons to invade.

I have given no secrets nor operational security here. This is just historical data that anyone can find with a little research. How it fits into the Bible as Robycop shows, I cannot say, I am not good at studying Biblical Prophecy and putting it together with real world events. I have learned long ago as soon as some preacher says this is it---it usually isn't.

19. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

To Roby,Prime and Phillip

:saint: Thanks for your prayers for my son...please include his wife as well. She is USMC as well and they have had a tough first few years together(but I now have two grandchildren!:thumbs: ). Anyway...remember her as well . I don't know if she'll "hang faithful" while he is gone.She needs the Lord too so all prayers are appreciated. God Bless Ya'll. By the way...I can't say where over there he will be posted since he hasn't told me....says he can't talk about it for security reasons.

Greg Sr.

#19 Gregory Perry Sr., Jun 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2006