1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Real Threat...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by RLBosley, Oct 24, 2014.

1. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

...apparently is "Christian" extremism.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2014/10/21/christian-extremists-threat-muslims-homegrown-cliven-bundy-column/17679789/

I find this interesting and, along with the recent kerfuffle down in Houston, got me thinking.

This supposed professor of religion blithely lumps libertarians, racists, militia and neo-Nazi's together and claims they all represent Christianity. Obviously we all know that is nonsense, but the fact is that MANY in this country name the name of Christ and are nothing but evil men who do not know God. We know this, however we can't expect the wider secular culture to even accept the idea of genuine Christian versus false profession. The No True Scotsman 'fallacy' is often brought up in this kind of conversation. So we need to be ready and willing to debate at length why these people do not truly represent Christ. We need to know what we believe, and why we believe it and why they have no part in our faith. I don't expect that we will ever convince people like this op-ed author, however we should be able and willing to engage in the debate and hope to convince and win some.

Second, I believe that this is the way persecution will come in the States. The faith will not be outlawed per se, nor will the churches be closed en masse. Instead the faithful will be lumped together with the extremists who falsely claim Christ and will be charged as rebels, as threats to national security. The genuinely converted will be seen as too repressive for modern society and there will even be so-called believers who will claim that we faithful are the ones who do not truly know God (as we see already beginning). As we are pushed more and more to the edge of society the true believers continue to affirm "we must obey God rather than man." That will actually be seen as confirmation that we are threats to the nation since we acknowledge that we serve another King in a higher Kingdom.

But that's OK. The first 300 years of church history saw the same thing and though many were martyred, the gospel spread like wildfire. So even though we (or our children/grandchildren) may suffer, the gospel will go out and God will accomplish all that He has purposed.

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep! I think your right. Remember, the little horn in Daniel 7 is one that changes laws in connection with persecuting the saints.

Dan. 7:25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that will make Christians stronger.

4. DMorgan

DMorgan Member

Yes!

Yes to all of the above. And we know it must happen this way. What saddens me is that so many Christians, regardless of denomination, are seemingly oblivious to this. Even many Evangelicals are fiddling while Rome burns. Now, more than ever, we need to evangelize and spread the Word to the lost.