1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The reason youth are leaving our churches

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Dec 9, 2010.

?
  1. I agree completely

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. I agree somewhat

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. I disagree somewhat

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. He has totally missed it

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Let me tweak this.

Many will stick if this is done. Many others will turn away. The Gospel will certainly transform lives--others will use it as a stumbling block, and walk away (the rich young ruler comes to mind).

The key thing, though is this: They will be confronted with the truth of the Gospel, and they will have to do something with it. Fence-riding just won't work...and unfortunately, that has been status quo for many--riding the fence.

I think as our culture becomes more pluralistic, more debased, and more hostile to Christianity, it will serve (particularly in the US) to motivate kids to "choose you this day whom you will serve." Lukewarm, "cultural Christianity" is getting less and less prominent (and effective) by the day.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Agreed.

It seems to me that the problem with those who don't respond is that they do not see God high and lifted up regardless of whether or not he is in that church- they just can't see it.

But I agree completely with everything else you said here.

3. Petrabilt

Petrabilt New Member

Major Christian TV networks are not good testimony

TBN, 700 Club, and Daystar ..face it our teens in good Christian households who are monitored away from MTV and the such have these to look at ..and to be honest they are just as bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egSuRrXlSPw

Kids see this drama and see no holiness what so ever.

Marcus Lamb makes me puke...Joni I guess is the hero..I guess.

Dr. Phil ..have mercy..go away.

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, rbell!

5. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Visit around to different churches this day and time. Many of them have great "youth programs" that involve field trips for the youth and the chaperones.....but the service is dry as toast with a bunch of people complaining about their health and other people.

I really feel like churches would be a lot healthier if they quit worrying about the youth specifically, preached the gospel, and spread the message about the love of Jesus Christ.

And cut out prayer requests. My father had prostate cancer a year ago and was the calmest person I've ever seen. I asked him one day how he could be so calmed and he replied, "Well, if I'm really the Christian that I've claimed to be for the last 43 years, then I don't need to ask for prayer in church because I'm either going to be healed here or on the other side. Either way I'm a big winner".

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But then why did God tell us to go to the elders to be annointed and prayed for in James 5?

7. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Maybe for those weak in faith??? Of course that brings to mind if they are annointed and prayed for....is it a failure if they are not healed on this side? Or does it count that if they are saved they are healed on the other side and have it much better there than we do here?

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I'm glad that I can come to my church family and ask them to pray for me. However, I do get tired of the 'organ' prayer services where all we do pray for Aunt Betty's liver or Uncle John's stomach. Where are the prayers for the lost? Where are the prayers for the wayward? Where are the prayers of repentance? Where are the prayers calling out to God for the child who has gone astray, for the drunk who haunts the neighborhood, for the family in trouble down the street...?

9. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Exactly what I'm talking about. If you're a visitor to some churches and you had never been saved...I'm afraid they would leave and never come back because of how depressing the "sick report" can be. Makes you think sometimes that Christians are the most unhappy people around...when it should be the complete opposite.

And don't even get me started about those who are annointed by proxy!!

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope - it's not a failure but I've seen it be effective as well so we do practice it. We just had a woman who donated a kidney and was not recovering well at all who came for prayer in front of the whole congregation (it was after church but everyone was still there). She said that the following day she was feeling significantly better and now 2 weeks later, she's healed more than she did in the previous 6 weeks! Of course we've had people pass away but God told us to do this so we do. :)