1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Reformation Study Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by evangelist6589, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a contrasting study note on the same verse (Ephesians 1:5) (Ryrie)
    God has determined beforehand that those who believe in Christ will be:

1) Adopted into His family
    2) Conformed to His Son

It [these actions] involves

1) A choice on His [God's] part (verse 4)
    2) it is done in love (V. 4)
    3) It is based on the good pleasure of His perfect will (V. 5, 9, 11)
    4) Its purpose is to glory God 9v. 14)
    5) It does not relieve man of his responsibility to believe the gospel(V. 13)​

2. Billx

Billx Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Purchased the 2015 edition - all five pounds of it. It holds to principles of the reformation which at times overrides good scholarship. The notes are not in deep in understnding as I had hoped or maybe expected. Maybe I was expecting a one volume IB. This Bible is over 2600 pages. There are some things I really like for example having all the major creeds at my finger tips. Personally there is much to be said of the almost forgotten Westminster Confession to which the Baptist Fatih and Message is not afar off. With the exception of Baptism. The Philadelphia was the image of it in many respects. It has some very good articles included. If you want a one volume commentary for quick on the fly aid in sermon prep this will serve. If you want in depth scholarship to the replace the IB, keep on looking. I have not seen the condensed version but there was an earlier edition, that is prior to 2015. It was smaller with less notes and I would guess the the condensed version is a return to the earlier edition. It sold for less and was manageable in the pulpit. I ordered the ESV and have not been happy with the translation and have found several passages which I was not all together comfortable although I could not spit them our of memory. Hope the helps.

3. Billx

Billx Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. I am not a greek scholar and Doctor Fisher kept reminding me much to often.I do translate passages primarily to get the feeling or emotion. Dr. Fisher and crew would remind us we only knew enough to be dangerous. However, when we work we define one word at a time and I think the idea of a Word for Word translaton comes from our muddling word for word.

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I sometimes use an NASB study Bible, but don’t remember the source. It is too big to carry and use in public, but is good in giving immediate guidance and pointing to areas of more intense focus.

This is slightly off topic, but in my opinion the BFM actually is more in line with the 1689 London Confession then the Westminister Confession.

I express a bit of discomfort by the Westminster Confession double predestination thinking, as well as some other more minor thinking.

For those interested, below is a comparison that lays the WC along side the
    1689 London (which I prefer over the WC) with color changes in areas in which they are different. C

Comparison of 1689 London Baptist and 1646 Westminster Confessions of Faith - Old School Baptist A Primitive Baptist Website

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer the Esv Study Bible, as the notes in that seem to be more complete, as well as more and btter articles!

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 1689 Confession lines up better with scriptures on water baptist!