1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Religion of Evolution

Discussion in 'Creation vs. Evolution' started by Helen, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Meatros

Meatros New Member

Micro-macro is a distinction touted by creationists, but not really by those prescribing to evolution. After all, with the concept of what constitutes a species (the blurry lines), the immediate answer is "there is nothing to prevent micro from becoming macro", aside from time.

Unless you have some evidence you'd like to share? Give the proper timescale, what prevents micro from becoming macro?

You seem to be redefining evolution in order to fit your paradigm. Evolution does not only involve a species changing into another species.

2. Meatros

Meatros New Member

So you deny immunizations? Evolution has been observed and can be observed:
    Here's 29 evidences of MACRO evolution; But I'm sure you won't accept them.

Here's horse evolution.
    Whale evolution.
    Insect origins

You asked earlier about falsification:
    Here's a few examples
    Here's how it's not a religion-Said much better then I did.

A yeast prion provides a mechanism for genetic variation and phenotypic diversity

Here's a "missing link".

I suppose I could go on a lot more, but I doubt this list of websites will do much good. You don't want to accept it, that's fine, but please don't label evolution something it's not.

3. Meatros

Meatros New Member

Actually I take that back: I have no idea whether you will accept it or not, I'd guess that you wouldn't, but I shouldn't pronounce judgment.

4. Meatros

Meatros New Member

By the way, here's a good, brief overview of evolution.

Also Taken from here:

5. Rakka Rage

Rakka Rage New Member

"The more scientists testily insisted that the big bang was unfathomable, the more they sounded like medieval priests saying, "Don't ask me what made God." Researchers, prominently Alan Guth of MIT, began to assert that the big bang could be believed only if its mechanics could be explained. Indeed, Guth went on to propose such an explanation. Suffice it to say that, while Guth asserts science will eventually figure out the cause, he still invokes unknown physical laws in the prior condition. And no matter how you slice it, calling on unknown physical laws sounds awfully like appealing to the supernatural."

Wired 10.12: The New Convergence

6. Meatros

Meatros New Member

Rakka, The scientists are talking about what created the singularity, not the actual big bang. It seems as though you are trying to create a strawman.

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you deny immunizations? Evolution has been observed and can be observed:
    Here's 29 evidences of MACRO evolution; But I'm sure you won't accept them.</font>[/QUOTE]
    I didn't read nor critic it all but I have seen the major arguments before and their refutation. Once again we are dealing in the realm of interpreting evidence. This will always be subject to the limitations and biases of the interpreter.

I have seen horse evolution before. I would be just as impressed if you lined up various sports "spheres" from marbles to beach balls and claimed that they prove evolution. The fact that there are many animal forms that were similar to one another, possibly descended from a common ancestor through the processes of microevolution does not prove that one ascended from the other.

8. Rakka Rage

Rakka Rage New Member

strawman... strawman... strawman... ? do you even know what that means? did you even read the quote?

"The more scientists testily insisted that the big bang was unfathomable, the more they sounded like medieval priests saying, "Don't ask me what made God." Researchers, prominently Alan Guth of MIT, began to assert that the big bang could be believed only if its mechanics could be explained. Indeed, Guth went on to propose such an explanation. Suffice it to say that, while Guth asserts science will eventually figure out the cause, he still invokes unknown physical laws in the prior condition. And no matter how you slice it, calling on unknown physical laws sounds awfully like appealing to the supernatural."

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would simply question it based on my presuppositions in the same manner that you accept it based on yours. My question is not whether the explainations are plausible but whether a)they are likely and b)they are the only possibility.

I don't think I have denied that my presuppositions come from my biblical faith. Working in sort of a backward manner: I believe in a literal heaven and hell, a literal God, a literal Satan, a literal supernatural realm that is just as real as this natural realm. I believe that God will judge all humanity in the future based on their acceptance or rejection of Him through His redemptive plan as presented in the Bible. I believe that Christ literally ascended, literally passed through walls, materialized in the presence of people walking along a road. I believe that Jesus literally, bodily rose from the dead (not a swoon, not a fake- He was DEAD). I believe that He established and demonstrated complete sovereignty over natural laws through literal miracles that have absolutely NO naturalistic explaination.

I believe that it can be proven that the proofs for the biblical text are far more conclusive than any proof for any explaination of pre-historic natural history. Therefore, I have no problem whatsoever with the statement "In the beginning God created..." being a literal account of an omnipotent, supernatural Being creating a natural world. The natural world is a subset of reality governed by time and space... it is not the whole of reality.

I am not ashamed that I place primary faith in the Bible. It demonstrates trustworthiness. You have placed your faith in scientists that are working from naturalistic presuppositions. I acknowledge your prerogative.

I reject evolution on two main premises: First, its basis is philosophical. Whether you accept or reject it is largely a function of whether you expect everything to be explained by materialistic means or not. Second, it only accepts as 'real' that subset of reality that can be measured and tested by human beings. This fails logically and morally.

[ July 15, 2003, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Scott J ]

10. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

To hear Evolutionists tell it, AGING is a
    demonstration of evolution in progress. Creationists would say that it is the body's
    GOD GIVEN ability to cope with what is still
    working.

11. john6:63

john6:63 New Member

As Robert Griffiths (Heinemann prize in mathematical physics) stated in Christianity Today:

"If we need an atheist for a debate, I go to the philosophy department. The physics department isn't much use."

All the things that are impossible in our universe are so because they are defined to be impossible. If you restrict God to our four dimensional universe, He would, likewise, be unable to do those things mentioned in Scott Js post. However, God is not restricted to our universe. In addition, God can do anything if He changed the laws of physics, which He promises to do in the New Creation.

Revelation 21:1 speaks of a new earth and if it took God millions or billions of years to create this earth, then He’d had to start the new earth mentioned in Revelation that John saw, shortly after the creation of this earth. Wickedness has infested this earth and I believe and am looking for the return of our Lord soon. A few others and I here don’t put any restrictions on God, just b/c science says so, and I believe God spoke and it was done as in Genesis and He will do the same with the new earth mentioned in Revelation.

12. Meatros

Meatros New Member

strawman... strawman... strawman... ? do you even know what that means? did you even read the quote?

</font>[/QUOTE]Try reading the rest of the article.

13. Meatros

Meatros New Member

Yes I do: Here's a definition.

Please explain to us all what the big bang has to do with the validity of evolution, or how the big bang somehow converts evolution into a religion.

14. Meatros

Meatros New Member

And one of the limitations seems to be in looking at the evidence.

[QUOTE I have seen horse evolution before. I would be just as impressed if you lined up various sports "spheres" from marbles to beach balls and claimed that they prove evolution. The fact that there are many animal forms that were similar to one another, possibly descended from a common ancestor through the processes of microevolution does not prove that one ascended from the other.
    [/QUOTE]

To which the site I linked asks you this:

Also, please provide the mechanism that prevents microevolution from becoming macroevolution.

15. Meatros

Meatros New Member

Name one, A_Christian. You are presenting a dishonest stereotype.

16. john6:63

The non-evolution of the horse

Quote from the article:
    "As the biologist Heribert-Nilsson said, ‘The family tree of the horse is beautiful and continuous only in the textbooks,’ and the famous paleontologist Niles Eldredge called the textbook picture ‘lamentable5 and ‘a classical case of paleontologic museology.’ As shown in a detailed thesis by Walter Barnhart, the horse ‘series’ is an interpretation of the data. He documents how different pictures of horse evolution were drawn by different evolutionists from the same data, as the concept of evolution itself ‘evolved.’

Informed evolutionists now realize that the picture, even in their own framework, is not a straight line at all. While they still believe in horse evolution, the modern view of the horse fossil record is much more jumpy and ‘bushy.’

Note the part of "...different pictures of horse evolution were drawn by different evolutionists from the same data..." Sounds typical. Which scientists do I believe? This is why I reject anything a scientists says when it comes to evolution.

Why was there a debate in the US Senate concerning Clinton and Monica? Both sides knew he lied, they were arguing about the interpretation of the data.

17. Meatros

Meatros New Member

You actually take Jonathan Sarfati seriously?

Disturbing....

Do you really think he put those quotes in context ;)

I have a question John: Do you scientists have *ever* claimed to know everything? No.

I'll inform you on how science works. Science works by building off of information-it's never static.

If you notice here, the idea of horses evolving in a straight line was first put forward in 1870!

Check out some actual information:

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That knife, my friend, cuts both ways. Your bias against creation is no less powerful nor filtering in its effect than my bias against evolution.

Anyone truly interested or devoted to the logical pursuit of scientific should never make such a flawed request. It's cliche but this amounts to "when did you stop beating your wife." If something never was, it simply never was. The proof is in its lack of existence.

What would guide us away from such a conclusion is that we are not observing cases where simpler lifeforms are becoming more complex. Changing, adapting? Yes. Evolving? No.

19. Meatros

Meatros New Member

Again it seems as though you are skewing the definition of evolution. Evolution is a change in alleles over time, it cares nothing about becoming more complex or becoming "better". Whatever mutation is more successful in being passed on, is the mutation that takes hold. So again, what prevents microevolution, which is a change in alleles from becoming macroevolution over time?

20. john6:63

You actually going to take Kathleen Hunt seriously? :rolleyes:

Disturbing indeed…

“I'm a zoologist, currently working on my Ph.D. thesis in endocrinology and behavior at the Department of Zoology, University of Washington. I am not a paleontologist; rather, I am a vertebrate biologist who primarily studies living animals (not extinct ones). Most of my own research is on birds. I have a broad training in physiology, anatomy, behavior, and conservation biology, and I have taught or TA'd vertebrate anatomy, vertebrate natural history, vertebrate evolution, and general evolution. The history of vertebrate evolution is a pet side interest of mine. Writing this FAQ was a wonderful excuse to burrow into the primary literature and read a lot of fascinating textbooks and articles about vertebrate evolution.”

What does birds have to do with horses? Unless she thinks a horse evolved from a bird! :eek:

I believe I will stick with AiG and Dr. Sarfati, over some student still working on her thesis. Note that she isn’t even a paleontologist. Please Meatros, don’t tell me you’re putting your faith in a paper written by a grad student…who’s to say she didn’t take her quotes out of context. [​IMG]