1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Religion of Grace vs. the Religion of Works

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Mar 27, 2023.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I heard an excellent sermon several years ago in which four categories of religion were identified. Three of these describe subsets of the religion of works, while only one describes the religion of grace – God’s way of salvation. These categories are:

Religion of Works:

1. A Work of Man for God
    This is blatantly “works” based religion and is characteristic of those who openly admit that salvation is conditioned upon the sinner.

2. A Work of Man with God
    This would include those who emphasize the work of man, but credit God with enabling or assisting them in meeting the condition for salvation. This is typical of those who suggest that God simply expects us to do our best and He’ll do the rest – or make up the difference.

3. A Work of God with Man
    This seems to emphasize the work of God, with man left to simply cooperate in some way with God so as to make salvation effectual. This is often characterized by those who suggest that God has done 99 + % of what is required and the only thing left for you is to ________.

Religion of Grace:

4. A Work of God for Man

God’s way of salvation as set forth in the Bible.

You will observe that all three of the descriptions falling under the “Religion of Works” heading depict salvation as conditioned in some way, and at least to some degree, on the sinner. I listed these in the order of which I consider to be increasingly deceptive, based upon the increasing emphasis placed upon God’s role in salvation. However, none of the first three categories place their hope solely in Christ, based upon the righteousness He established and through which grace reigns(Romans 5:21). Consequently, I hope you can see that if any of these accurately depict your religious views, then your religion isn’t the religion of grace but is instead the religion of works – no matter what you may call it and no matter how camouflaged it may be."

- excerpt from Randy Wages' To My Friends "Strait Talk About Eternity"

#1 KenH, Mar 27, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t care whatchacallitt—the Lord Jesus Christ saved me.

3. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you have overlooked what the bible says on the subject.

Rom 5:1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
    Rom 5:2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

You always overlook the through faith part. Man has to trust in Christ Jesus before God saves him. You need to start trust what the Holy Spirit says rather than men.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two of my favorite verses. It was difficult to memorize them, for some reason. I kept at it, over and over, except I memorized it from the KJB. Great truth!

5. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation is of God, grace without works—faith is counted as righteousness, works then follow the new believer.

2 Corinthians 5:17.
    Ephesians 2:8-10.

Salvation isn’t something you do, it’s whom your faith is in; what Christ Jesus did for you—what you do in return is from love snd gratitude, no need for meritorious “salvational works” because the work was done on His cross. You must believe, and works for rewards shall follow.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct.

Correct.

WRONG!!!! This idea of mercenary "good works", like it is a competition between Christians, is a horribly man-glorifying false doctrine. What are these mercenary folks think they are trying to earn - a place closer to the throne? a larger mansion? prime real estate in the new heavens and earth?

I am much more than satisfied with Christ. He is my "exceeding great reward" (Genesis 15:1). I desire nothing else.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So how does that work with children who die in childbirth… how is trust established?

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your understanding when it comes to children too young to have such faith that would die? Re: Romans 5:1.

9. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    You overlook the mercy of God. Those that are able to make rational choices are held responsible for those choices.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no salvation outside of Christ and His righteousness imputed to those whom God elected before the foundation of the world to save - regardless of age.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh but I do respect His mercy, more than you think… I also believe He is consistent with that mercy with His chosen. And that’s done now and into eternity.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what was that process?

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For He saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy." God would have been just not to save any. He was just when in Christ He saved His elect.

14. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    The elect are those that God has saved after they have freely trusted in His son.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation is not conditioned on man in any shape, form, or fashion. To do so, in any manner whatsoever - be it faith, repentance, good works, baptism, or whatever - is a man-made system of works in which there is no salvation.

Salvation is conditioned on Christ ALONE - and He fulfilled all of the conditions on the behalf of God's elect who were chosen before the foundation of the world.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You confuse justification with salvation and thus you completely ignore the part about God first making you alive by grace so that, by being given faith as a gracious gift, you could believe and therefore be justified.
    You need to trust what the Holy Spirit says rather than trust your humanism.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it your faith that you chose to have? If so, it will be a fickle faith that gets tossed by the waves of emotion. You will be forced to constantly fight your emotions to prove yourself capable of maintaining the faith you have manufactured. Any slipup and you could be faithless and thus need to reestablish your salvation all over again. You realize that there are "holiness" churches that teach this very thing, such as the Nazarenes, Wesleyans and Church of Christ.

Either God establishes your faith as a gift at salvation or you create your faith as an effort of the will which causes God to save you. Which is it?

18. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your response here tells us that you believe you are saved by your rational choice, which therefore eliminates grace.
    Your honesty is refreshing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who told you that?

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It appears that he is still in rebellion of a sovereign God. The Homosexuals & Transvestites are in rebellion as well. :oops: But be relentless in your commitment… perhaps with Gods help…:Wink