1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The renewing of your mind

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by bonniej, Nov 17, 2004.

1. bonniej

bonniej Guest

I have been reading the thread "can demons live in Christians and the one thing that came to my mind is a book by Joyce Meyer called the Battlefield of the mind. I have begun the study but have to admit that I have not stuck with it as I should. I too have been having difficulty, praying, reading the word, concentrating on what I really need to be concentrating on. Some of the things that she says in her book is 1. We are engaged in a war, 2.Our enemy is satan, 3 The mind is the battlefied, 4. The devil works dlilgently to set up strongholds in our mind, 5.He does it through strategy and deceit (through well-laid plans and deliberate deception) and 6. He is in no hurry; he take his time to work out his plan. So you don't have to be demon possessed to have problems thinking the right things, or doing the right things. Prayer and scripture are the answers. I think we all have times when we fill like the devil is in us more than the Holy Spirit but If we abide in His word, we are his disciples and we will KNOW the truth and the truth will set us free (this was somewhat paraphrased) John 8:31,32. Beth Moore also talks about praying the scriptures and if we keep a verse of scripture handy, like on a card in our pocket at work or on the refridg. at home, we can go to that scripture and replace that in our mind instead of what we were thinking about. The last year and a half, I have had much trouble praying and getting into God's word. I blame it on circumstances but I am to blame more than the circumstances. I have also read The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. In it, it tells us that we are here on this earth to serve, not to be served. When we allow God to totally control our lives and it's not easy to do, then our whole being is renewed and the peace that passeth all understanding will guard our hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philp. 4:7. So in essence it's staying in the word, keeping a verse of scripture close by and daily praying and not just praying but praying the word back to God that will keep our minds closed to satans attacks and keep our minds renewed and open to the Holy Spirit.

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

3. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Amen Bonnie56! [​IMG]

4. music4Him

music4Him New Member

BTW, has anyone debated Joyce Myers in this "all christians" debate fourm before I came to the BB? How would I look up the old threads? BTW, I have been listening to Joyce Meyers since 1999 and have never heard some of the things that others say about her. :confused:

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Good post. We've done Bth Moore's Breaking Free,a nd finishing Living Free tonight. I would suggest both these studies. The first deals with strongholds and breaking free of them, the second on living free afterwards.
    You are right, memorizing scripture is the key.

As for Joyce Meyer, she always believes something different and is closely associated with the word of faith movement, which immediately sends up red flags. Most people think becasue they ahve never heard someone say something wrong they don't, and all reports on them are false. When in reality, not everything that cokmes out of their mouths is wrong or people would see it right away. There are those who study a persons teachings from their writtings and sermons and then document where the person being studied(Joyce Meyer in this case) said or wrote it.
    The only thing I need to know about Joyce Meyer to know she has nothing she can teach me is that she is an ordained minister and thats a misunderstanding of scripture, anyone who first thing they do is demonstrate they misunderstand scripture has nothing to teach that can possibly be reliable.

6. bonniej

bonniej Guest

I agree about women ministers, I don't believe that is scriptural either but the book that I am reading by her so far has been very good and as far as I can tell is scriptural but then so is Beth Moore's book on praying the scripture. I haven't heard Beth Moore speak but once and I don't think I've ever seen such an energic speaker. I got tired just watching her, but everything she said was so very true and Godly.
    I have only seen Joyce Meyer on TV and what little I've heard, I have not heard any contradictions. I have a friend that listens to her every morning at 6 am and her spiritual life has turned around so I can't fault her too much. I know that she doesn't have the education as some who teach/preach the word but then I think God gives some people a gift to discern the word more than others. I can't remember anything anymore so I would have to write any new verses on a card and carry it with me throughout the day or week. I still have trouble remembering the Jabez prayer and I have repeated it over and over. I think the Parkinson's has done something to my little brain that had trouble to begin with. But I appreciate your input. Every bit helps to have more understanding.

7. Lori

Lori New Member

What her book sounds like is something similar to what I heard Charles Stanley preach on a little while back. I think it was named something like why we continue to fail at reaching our goals (something like that anyways).

He mentioned that first Satan get's a toehold, then a foothold, then he makes a fort, then he makes it a stronghold. By the time it get's to be a stronghold, we feel compelled to do what he's bugging us about. We do it, then feel rotten later because though we had great intentions and knew what needed to be done, we let him get a little further each time until it was too late and we had to start over once again.

This is something that you can do an experiment with using chocolate/or sweets. Try to completely stop eating them for say, 1-2 weeks (your choice) then see what happens at then end of the time. The first day we're all like "Hey man I'm strong and I'm pumped and Hey man I'm gonna do this no sweat!" After a few days set in we think "Heh...well those chocolates are soo nice, and maybe I can just put one on my desk and admire it etc." Here we go giving a toehold.

Then it goes that way with Satan picking away until he's got you right where he wants ya. Oh yeah satan's got lots of time and he's veeeryy patient. He can pick and pick and pick some more then leave you be for a little while then come back and work on you some more. Eventualy we lose our watch or gaurd and pumped feeling little by little.

Well I don't know if this was helpful to anybody or not, but it was my 2 cents at least.

azwyld
    <*}}}><

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Bonnie, we have all said before we get tired just watching her. I've done almost all of her studies, and have seen speak in person once. Shes even worse in person.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Did you read anything from the sites Diane posted? Meyer seems to, from her writtings misunderstand a lot of scripture.
    The web site lists where each of these quotes from her comes from, which book and page, and tapes she's done, so check there for that information.