1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The rescinding of ordinations

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Mexdeaf, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Recently a friend asked me for advice. He left an IFB-extreme church to pastor a conservative SBC church. The former pastor now has sent him a letter telling him to send his ordination certificate back because he is no longer an "Independent Fundamental Baptist".

No where on the certificate does it indicate "IFB". My friend has denied none of the true Fundamentals of the faith. Furthermore there is the question of Pastoral authority- does the former pastor have the right to demand this?

Would love your thoughts on this- remember this is a FELLOWSHIP forum. If you want to fight you'll have to start another thread up top.:smilewinkgrin:

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would send the ordination papers back .... POSTAGE DUE! It is usually the church that ordains people, so it ought to come as a request/demand from the ordaining church. But I would knock the dust of my shoes and never look backk.

He should talk to his church's leaders, tell them what has happened and have them ordain him. Personally, I think they will simply give him a substsitute paper without having to go through another ordination council.

When I left the IFB for a SBC church I wasn't de-ordained, but I was shunned because I had left the "true faith" (my words, not theirs). But to this day some will only politely say "hello" when we see each other at various functions.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well what recourse does the other pastor have here? Is he gonna come up and fight your friend or just glare at him over the ecclesial divide?

But seriously this is another reason I can't stand fundamentalism. Your friend has done nothing wrong and they want to penalize him. Good grief, we have such bigger things to do. In reality, while I don't know your friends situation, he might do well to return the ordination with a qualifying letter that he hasn't fallen morally or theologically. Then he should line up ordination with a good church and allow that process to take place.

As part of my ordination council I agreed that if I ever had morality or deep theological issues that I would return my ordination to that church.

4. fbcodr

fbcodr New Member

This is very good advise from someone who has firsthand experience in this area. The Church ordains and the former pastor sounds out of line to me. But it's not that surprising. I've found Independent Baptist Churches to be very different in how they respond to a SBC pastor. My dad attended two different ones while living in Florida. One was very cold toward me as a SBC pastor, while the other one was very, very friendly. :laugh::thumbsup:

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Straight from the Hyles Church Manual:
    One just can't make stuff like this up:laugh:

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I have one of those in a box somewhere...

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PHP:
    PASTORLarry, do you believe the Articles of Faith adopted by the First 
    Baptist Church of Hammond

LARRY LOSER
    Yes.

PASTOR: If any day would ever come and you would notwould you surrender 
    willingly your ordination papers
    ?
    and what would happen if FBC of Hammond was to change their doctrine
    statement?

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Larry Loser would be in a pickle.

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I am reminded of two toads arguing over who is green enough.

10. sag38

sag38 Active Member

If the former church wants to play that way then I wouldn't want my ordiantion from them in the first place. I just ask my current church to ordain me.