1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Restoration

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by rsr, Apr 29, 2006.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not strictly a Baptist history item, but an interesting read from Christian History & Biography about how Nonconformists (including Baptists) fared after restoration of the English monarchy in 1660.

THE COST OF PILGRIMAGE

2. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Small wonder that much of the world is suspicious of us and our internecine warfare, which continues today .. maybe not with fines, jail, and physical banishment, but with hostility, division, and combativeness. Today (Apr 29) one entire region of the American Baptist Churches was scheduled to take an advisory vote on whether to secede from the denomination because some of the leaders of that region perceive (key word!) the ABC-USA as being "soft on homosexuality". I have not heard the result of the poll as yet, of course, but can only imagine that whatever the outcome the world will find ways to confirm its suspicion that the church shoots its own wounded.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why shouldn't a group of believers separate from disobedient brethren? And in the case of the ABC-USA, I use the term "disobedient brethren" in a diplomatic way. I would view much (though not all) of the ABC (since 1947, okay since the 60s) as a bunch of apostates and unbelievers.

4. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Joseph: The vote was 1,125-209 in favor of withdrawing from the covenant relationship. I expect more regions to follow.

5. Joseph M. Smith

There are several issues in this posting. But as a person who has found increasing joy in relating to ABCUSA and decreasing satisfaction with my SBC heritage, I have to question that characterization of us.

6. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Discussion of the contemporary ABC-USA properly belongs in another forum. I apologize for not having insisted upon that earlier.

7. Joseph M. Smith

I did not intend to hijack the thread to talk about ABCUSA. Maybe we can begin or find another forum for that. The OP raises the question about who is suffering for their Christian faith now and who is perpetrating oppression in the name of religion. I think it fair to say that in a number of Muslim countries being openly Christian can get you into real trouble.