1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The right way to evangelize??

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Apr 7, 2007.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Which is the right way?

The "Jesus loves you" approach?

Or the "Hey, ever told a lie?" Ray Comfort styled approach?

Or the "Repent!!!" John the baptist approach?

Does anyone of you know Nicky Cruz?
    He used to be a leader of a gang in New York and got converted when David Wilkerson came to New York. Cruz has a very powerful testimony, it's amazing.
    Wilkerson was a preacher from the country and came to New York after he read an article about gangs in New York. He tried to reach Nicky and his gang but Nicky rejected him and even beat him in the face and Wilkerson kept telling him that Jesus loves him but Cruz didn't want to hear this and then Wilkerson prayed for Cruz in the basement surrounded by Cruz and his gang members and they were so touched by the prayer that they all converted. It's not a question that God supernaturally touched those people and that Wilkerson really had a mission from God. Because such a scenario is very unlikely. It would have been much more likely for Wilkerson to be killed by the gang.
    Anyway, but what got me thinking is the question which approach is the right one. If Wilkerson had come to Nicky and told him: Hey Nicky! You gotta repent, you're going to hell!
    Then he would most likely have ended up with a knife in his back.
    Or if he had come to Nicky and tried to reason with him and explain him that he is lost then he would most likely also have freaked out. But the message that Jesus loves him seemed to be exactly what this guy needed.
    But today most preachers speak against this message and say that it's not biblical. The "Jesus loves you" message isn't a guarantee for a convert because not everybody who is told that Jesus loves him also converts, but I wonder what is better. Telling a person that she is going to hell or telling a person that Jesus loves her.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

One of the traps we're susceptible to falling into is comparing witnessing methods and arguing over which is most effective. It's not a big leap to discussing how to tailor our metholds to individuals, ethnic groups, etc.

This is not a knock on methods as much as it's a warning against a pragmatism which leaves out the work of the Holy Spirit. It is the HS which illuminates, regenerates, convicts, draws, etc.

Of course, our theology drives our preaching and witnessing. The theology of pragmatism (whatever works) is eventually a slippery slope.

3. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But how do you know what to say to a person? How do you know God loves her and isn't angry at her? I mean if you could feel the love which God has then it would be so much easier.
    How do you know that a person isn't lost anyway and God knows that she will not repent and because of this he's angry and doesn't love her anymore?

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

"And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh." -- Jude 22-23

Some interpret this passage to mean that in order to be more effective in our efforts in evangelizing, we need to tailor our methods of witnessing to different folks according to the circumstances of the individual to whom we are witnessing.

Jesus did not use exactly the same method to witness to Nicodemus in John 3 as He did when He was witnessing to the woman at the well in John 4. The apostle Paul did not use exactly the same method of witnessing about Christ to a Jewish audience that he did when he was witnessing to a Gentile audience.

Both Christ and the apostles met those to whom they were witnessing at that person's greatest point of need, and we would do well to follow that example in our own attempts at personal evangelism.

To say that there is only one method or style of personal evangelism that will work for all people in all situations is, at least IMHO, not correct.

I do not employ exactly the same method of personal evangelism when I am dealing with a small child as I would if I were dealing with (as in the case of the OP) a member of a street gang.

Same message? Yes! .... but different methods.

5. gekko

gekko New Member

a way where:

A) explains to the person what sin is
    B) explains the gospel

if the person doesn't know what sin is (biblically -- transgression of the law) - they won't understand the gospel.

however which way you do that - is up to you.

"the quality of the seed is not in the sower but in the seed itself"

6. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

If you were planning to reach strangers on the internet and you wanted to create a gospel message which you will simply email to strange people and then hope that it has an impact on them what would you write or how would you do it?
    I was thinking about doing such a "ministry" but the biggest problem is first of all having a really good gospel presentation which contains everything necessary and which also doesnt scare people away. :confused:
    I think that writing a gospel presentation is a huge responsibility because I dont want to do anything wrong or forget something. I would prefer it to simply use a good one which somebody else put together but where do I get a good one which isnt too much in your face?

7. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

If you wish to do witnessing via e-mail and/or the internet, you might try a Google search on different e-tracts for some suggestions.

One website with which I'm familiar is:

http://www.godssimpleplan.org

This is the site that will link you to their on line e-tract entitled "God's Simple Plan of Salvation." This is the web version of the well-known tract by that same title that was authored by Dr. Ford Porter way back in the 1930's and is still in use today in a number of languages. (NOTE: The contents of this particular e-tract is copyrighted!).

My suggestion is that you keep this kind of message very general in nature since you probably won't know who may be logging to such a website as you are suggesting.

Perhaps some of our other BB friends might suggest some other websites for Gospel tracts that might give you some more suggestions on this.

Just be careful that you don't post on your website any copyrighted material without the knowledge and/or consent of the copyright holder(s).

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Two words...Holy Spirit.

9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Carrot and the stick.

Jesus loves you AND you are a sinner destined for hell AND you must repent or suffer the 2nd death.

In Christ,

Bob

10. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Col 4

2Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving;
    3 praying at the same time for us as well, that
    God will open up to us a door for the word, so that we may speak forth the mystery of Christ
    , for which I have also been imprisoned;
    4 that I may
    make it clear in the way I ought to speak.

]
    5 Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders
    , making the most of the opportunity.
    6 Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person.

11. billwald

billwald New Member

The right way is to tell people about Jesus dying for the sins of the world and let the Holy Spirit do the evangelizing. We have no right to add, "and all you gots to do is invite (say, ask . . .) ."

12. Dustin

Dustin New Member

I used to be big into the Way of the Master, but not now.

Thier Law/Gospel formula is biblical and I'm all for it, but thier methods are becoming increasingly atrocious. i can't even listen anymore. Why is it thier duty to try to convict someone of thier sins when the Holy Spirit is completely capable of doing that Himself, and has been doing it for a couple thousand years before Ray and Kirk came along.

All you need to do is simply proclaim the Law and the Gospel, and leave the rest to the Holy Spirit, as it is He who regenerates not the methods of men.

Proclaim the Gospel, give an answer, that's about it.

Paul on Mars Hill is a great example, he got to the Greeks level and simply started procaliming the Gospel. They didn't want to hear it and laughed him off, but some did believe and Paul went about his way.

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Dustin

P.S. To be fair though, the Way of the Master approach is a lot better than some stuff I've heard, but still it a far cry from what evangelism is in the Bible.

#12 Dustin, Apr 7, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  13. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Yeah! What billwald said!