1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Righteousness of Christ by Dr. Piper

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Daniel David, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I just finished this book by Piper. It is about 120 pages. The first few chapters are easy reading to get everyone acquainted with the theology of justification by faith.

The book was written to respond to an increasing number of "evangelicals" who have turned away from the doctrine of the imputed righteousness of Christ to the believing sinners account.

Gundry is the primary representative for this recent movement. Therefore, Piper spends most of his time dealing with him and his writings.

The last chapter is lengthy and quite deep. It is not for the casual reader.

The premise of Gundry is this: the righteousness that people have is actually their faith. When Paul says that you are justified by faith, he actually means that your faith is counted as righteous.

The premise of Piper is this: the righteousness that people have is actually the righteousness of Christ imputed to their account. Thus, when Paul says that you are justified by faith, he actually means that your faith is that which joins your account and Christ's righteousness. Faith is that which receives Christ's righteousness.

Gundry probably does not see his problem. If a person's faith is actually righteous, then the person has some good to him that will be paid to him because God has become the debtor.

I recommend this book to anyone. It will certainly be a part of my children's Bible curriculum.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is why Piper is a calvinist (ie, biblicist) and Gundry is not! :eek:

I am reading the "Legacy of Sovereign Joy" and just cannot get enough of Piper's insights. He is an amazing young preacher and has earned my respect.

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Actually, I heard that Gundry wrote a book on "Lordship Salvation". It kind of reminds me of Clark Pinnock. Some people seem like Christians until they come out with what they really believe.

4. Monergist

Monergist New Member

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

I thought it very cool that Piper and Noel read the Bible along with their young daughter. I especially liked the brief testimony of how he explained to his daughter the concept of justification as they were reading through Romans.

My wife and I have started doing this with our 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son. To attempt to teach these things to your young children motivates me greatly to stay "ahead of the curve" with regard to my own study.

6. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Isn't it fair to say that this is a primary difference between "Calvinism" and "Arminianism"?

7. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I don't think it is Rev. G. In the book, Piper lays out what Calvinists and Arminians have believed since the reformation. On this point, all are in agreement.

Gundry has invented another view altogether. It is sort of like Open Theism being very closely related to arminianism but not actually being arminianism.

8. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually,the new book being offered by DGM is titled:Beyond The Bounds and it was edited by Piper,Justin Taylor and Paul Kjoss Helseth.They were giving it away free at the Bethlehem conference for pastors this week up in Minneapolis.What a great conference it was!!I certainly recommend it.Michael [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Isn't he in his 50s?? Perhaps that's young to you Bob :D ... Seriously, I thought he was in his 50s or so. He went to college and did his doctoral work in Germany back in the 70s I think. I enjoy a great many of his books. This one I have not seen.

10. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Piper just recently turned 57

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I visited his church a few years ago and would have put him at 45ish. Looks young. Casual attire must help you look like a ruddy youth.

Think we should find out the ages of some of the famous (infamous) authors

Max Lucado
    John MacArthur
    Chuck Swindoll
    Phil Keller
    RC Sproul
    Bruce Wilkinson

Anybody know?