1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Road Not Taken

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TadQueasy, Jul 12, 2015.

1. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: You got it.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    TQ, if the author had left out the words "large" and "small" and focused on what he was actually actually talking about - pragmatism vs. dogma - then people here might not have understood him to mean what he did.

Honesty, I took him to mean that larger church were all about prestige and smaller churches were the only ones that followed the truth path.

I just felt that he missed the mark in implying that the small church was the righteous church.

Sorry.

3. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we assume too much based on the words small and large.

Perhaps the author could have used better words, but I think the overall intent of the article is a homerun and I would hope people would seek the actual meaning of the article instead of jumping to conclusions.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you ever stop to consider that it is you who misunderstood the article?

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the author could have written with more clarity. I'm not jumping to conclusions, I'm reading what the author wrote.

How does one seek the actual meaning of the article except by reading the words? Mind reading?

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does God's Kingdom grow except through the local church?

This statement about the small churches that seek the truth of the Word from the article is loaded with innuendo: "The pastors and people in that church agree that they cannot by their best efforts grow the Kingdom; but, by God’s Grace, they can vigorously pursue the truths (the dogma) in Scripture and pray that the Lord would allow them some joy in His harvest."

The unspoken implication is that pastors and congregations of what the author calls "pragmatic churches" think they are going to grow the church by their own efforts (rather than give God the glory.) It is more nobler to eschew modern evangelistic methods, instead seeking the "dogma of Scriptures." Apparently while they are translating the Greek and drilling down into the epistles they can only hope that God would bless them with some converts. Really? Is that how we bring people to Christ? He even admits that this type of studious church has little influence for the Kingdom of God.

How is that obeying the Great Commission?

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

I skimmed the article first, so when I read it a second time I just took it that the subject was pragmatism and not church size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The subject is pragmatism. I do not think anyone disputes that. The problem with the article is that it condemns big churches and implies that it is only through pragmatism that they have reached that size and it also implies that it is only small churches that are likely to be less pragmatic and therefore more concerned with (dogma=scripture) and therefore more aligned with God.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I realize that. I believe that the author clouded the issue when he introduced the actual size of churches rather than sticking with pragmatism. I have and do attend a church that focuses on pragmatic ways of getting people in the doors (the focus is on church growth in numbers rather than being a faithful church). So I understand where the author is going in his argument (based on pragmatism), I agree that his context may not be as clear as it should, but ultimately I agree with what I take out of the article. Pragmatic churches...bad....faithful churches....gooooood. The issue is that all churches probably have to be a little bit pragmatic. I've always argued that churches conduct business but they have to be careful not to become businesses that do church.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One person thinks an article says something a certain way - that could be jumping to conclusions. Six (or more) people think an article says something a certain way? That's indistinctness of writing.

Unless you're trying to say that everyone besides you and Jon are jumping to conclusions. :tongue3:

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: I'm good with that :laugh:

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regardless of the poor wording and implications in the op the truth is that we have, as a church, traded the power of the HG for pragmatism. I am convinced that this is what is going on in church planting in the SBC as well.

Waiting on and relying on the HG is more work as it is a spiritual battle. We tend to take the paths of least resistance and when we work through God Satan builds up resistance and pragmatism Satan leaves alone. Our spiritual muscles have grown weak in the church in America and we do not like to use them.

However, the size of a church is not an indicator either way for the power of God or the strength of pragmatism.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Well states. As unfortunate as it may be, I completely agree. This is one thing that concerned me with "Send North America," or the push in general. We (SBC) are not seeking to spread the gospel to unreached areas as much as we are seeking to claim a larger percentage of SBC among existing churches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 JonC, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  14. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs: I agree completely with this, and I am convinced the author of the article agrees as well. This is a big problem in the church today.

15. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a great point as well. However I will say I think we are on a better path in the NAMB than we were a few years ago. But I am still not sure about things. Lots of reform needed IMO. I am much happier with my experiences with the IMB and what is taking place there.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It's a nightmare. Talk about pragmatism.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk