1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The rock and the hard place

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stilllearning, Aug 8, 2012.

1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

-The rock......
    Luke 16:18
    “Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from [her] husband committeth adultery.”

1 Corinthians 5:11
    “But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.”

“fornicator”: (A man who indulges in unlawful sexual intercourse)
    ------------------------
    -The hard place......
    You have a man in your Church who faithfully teaches Sunday School along with many other jobs in the Church, and one day divorces his wife and marries someone else.
    What do you do?
    --------------------------------------------------
    For 30 years, I have been hearing..... “Oh, don’t be discouraged; Although being divorced and remarried does prevent you from being a pastor, it doesn’t mean that you can’t be used in the Church in some other way....”

I have even said over the years, how wrong those Churches have been for excommunicating any member who got a divorce and remarried.
    Have I been effected by this worldly acceptance of divorce.....as being “normal”?

But then again, how does a person repent of this sin.(By divorcing his second wife?)
    ------------------------
    By the way, I have never been divorced.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All depends IF the divorce was bibllcal or not!

IF it was, the person should still be able to serve the lord in that capacity, would suggest a down time to regroup...

IF was not per the scripture guidelines, than he can and will be freely forgiven in Christ, buit should lose that capacity, as a result of disobeying the lord...

Just My opinion!

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I think that you have a legitimate concern and question. One problem is with the Baptist church. Almost all of them violate the intent of scripture by having teachers who are not elders.
    By doing that some feel the command to elders to not be able to teach if they divorce and remarry does not apply to the teacher because they are not elders. It is sort of a jail house attorney way around the intent of scripture if you know what I mean, but the only ones deceived are those who practice this.

As to the situation you mentioned based on just what you wrote the person should not be permitted to teach or hold any position in the church and that includes singing in the choir in my opinion. While they should not be shunned IF they admit confess their sin they still should never again be allowed to be in any position where they are seen as directly representing the church positions on biblical issues as they are not creditable. They have as Paul stated become a cast away or disqualified.
    All teachers/Pastors/elders who rule with the word of God from teachings have to meet the biblical standards and all teachers should also be held to those standards as there is no sub standards to God.
    As to what can a person do who is in a church like that? Well they can raise their concern to the pastor and elders. If not satisfied with the response they can leave, but the problem is that the chances of finding a church that follows the word of God today is slim to none.

As how does a person repent of this sin, they do it in honest heart filled spirit admitting openly they sinned by getting married again, but the proof will be that they do not continue to dishonor the Lord by violating the standards on who can teach. They step down as their teaching would be a mockery. It is like the person who tells their child not to get drunk and chase women and they are living with a woman unmarried.
    I was in a church several years ago where one of our deacon's wife divorced him. My understanding is that she ran off with another man. This deacon was seen as a pillar and was very well respected. After the divorce he not only refused to hold a teaching position again he forfeited his ordination and gave up being a deacon so as not to bring any possible harm to the name of the Lord. He took the calling and standards of the Lord so serious and without intent of being honored himself for it that he was respected above every one else including the Pastor as a model of how to serve the Lord when we are disqualified to serve in an office.
    The thing is we all as subject to fail, but not all failures brings disqualifications. However when they do are we going to continue to fail and ignore the word of God by doing things our way out of stuborn pride or are we going to accept what He says and honor Him with the rest of our life by stepping aside? David is a good example of one being disqualified. It does not mean we cannot witness and serve other wise but it does mean we can no longer hold an office or position of teaching.

4. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

A pastor friend of mine, who knows absolutely nothing about what is going on in this Church nor this thread, shares several little messages daily on facebook.
    Here is one of the things he wrote today.....

"Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a 'little' leaven leaveneth the 'whole' lump? Purge out, therefore, the old leaven, that you may be a new lump..." [1Corinthians 5:6,7]
    The toleration of even the smallest amount of sin in our midst will always result in the sacrificing of the innocent in our attempt to protect the guilty. That has been the cause behind why the Church has lost a generation of our, once innocent young people to the world and evil.
    The Church at Corinth (much like the Church today), was glorying that their tolerance of an unashamed and unrepentant sinner in their midst was being wise and loving like Jesus, but in fact, they were really glorying in the belief that they were even wiser and more loving than Jesus.
    ~Jack Woodard

The question of this thread had to do with what the pastor of this Church should do about the sin of this member.
    Sure enough, the answer to this question seems to be.....that the pastor needs to man-up and make the tough decision and do the right thing(dealing with this man), even though it will most likely cause trouble in the Church!
    Not acting for the sake of “peace”, may be the Church’s biggest problem today!

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: