1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The role of a deacon

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by bapterian, May 6, 2003.

1. bapterian

bapterian New Member

What is the biblical role for deacons and do the deacons in your church reflect that role?
    Are they servants or governors? In other words, are they in a ministry of service or do they govern the affairs of your church much like a board of directors or elders?

In my church, the deacons are ordained to service to minister to the physical and spiritual needs of members. They have no governing authority over members, staff, business meetings, etc.

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

In theory, my fellowship believes the same way yours does. There are times, however, that the church asks the deacon body to come to a decision on something. These times are, and should be, infrequent. (For instance, by what percentage of the vote should a certain important measure pass at business meetings?)

I guess the key phrase would be "servant-leadership." The servant role and attitude of a godly deacon should be so compelling to those around him, it should inspire them to do likewise. "Servant Leadership"

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here... except that I would add that our deacons also operate the benevolence ministries of our church that are oriented toward the community.

(I'm convinced that those who rail against our church for having females deacons have no clue regarding the role of deacons in our church.)

4. Charlesga

Charlesga New Member

Our church recently changed the role of deacons to reflect the Biblical role of servants. They are involved in servant ministries only and have no decision making authority. Decision making is left to the church elders.

5. latterrain77

latterrain77 New Member

A deacon should be a proven wise counselor in matters pertaining to the Gospel. Any reach for a "title" would automatically disqualify him. Grabs to "govern" are more often a lust for "privilege" rather than a call to service.

Men in the church with "title" often (though not always) seek to be served themselves, and are spoken of in Rom. 16: 18.

Deacon credentials are strictly governed under the terms and conditions of 1 Tim. 3. A deacon is required to "rule" in their own family; wives and children (v12). However, there is no suggestion that a Deacon is afforded that same "rule" or governance in the church.

Likewise, a pastor does not "rule" in the church either, though he MUST rule in his own home (1 Tim. 3:4-5). A pastor is required to "take care of" the church - an entirely different dynamic than "ruling" or classic "governance." Thanks. latterrain.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deacon = servant. To give them a "position" of "power" is contraindicated by the nature of the word.

Problem comes from the idea of a deacon as an "office" of the church instead of an "officer". Just the way we think about it confuses many.

7. martyr

martyr New Member

What I have seen in the 4 baptist churches that I have been a part of is that the role of deacon and elder is combined, yet excluding great qualities of both positions. Personally, I wish that the two offices were separate just as when they were first established.