1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Ryrie Study Bible, NASB

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Oct 11, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I preach and teach from the NASB95, the Charles F. Stanley Bible--- so a deacon of mine went and got the Ryrie Study Bible, NASB95.

2. I told him I was somewhat familiar with it, especially, the theological package in the back, but not so much his notes.

Does anyone use the Ryrie Study Bible?

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have one around here, but way too dispensational for my taste. But I do consult it from time to time to see what the notes say.

3. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I have the Ryrie Study Bible NASB in hardback.

When I study a passage in a little more depth I often consult the Ryriet to:
    a. Check the notes and compare to other commentaries. I like that the note are concise and telling the most important things. I also trust the Ryrie notes than many others.
    b. I like to check how the NASB translates a verse compared to other translations (often Swedish Folkbibeln, NIV, KJV, HCSB)
    c. Sometimes I also check to book introductions.

But for some reason i do little study based on the Ryrie, and I seldom do my Bible reading from it. I do not know why. But below are possible reasons that I do not use the Ryre Study Bible more:
    a. I prefer a Bible in leather. I have become used to it, and if Gods word is the most important in my life, why don't let it get a god binding.
    b. I do not think that commentary notes on the Bible pages is good, it makes me study less the word of God and more the notes of Dr. Ryrie. My eyes goes to the notes to get quick to the meaning of a verse instead of spending time trying to understand and se other verses that can make this passage clearer. The Thompson Chain Reference Bible really helps me to see other passages the enlightens what I am studying. I also think the notes in the Scofield are OK.
    c. For me a study Bible also is good to locate verses and study topics. I like the topics and concordance of the THompson better than the Ryrie. The Thompson makes me feel more like a student of the Bible, not of the theology of Dr. Ryrie.
    d. It may be that the NASB95 is not that an easy read for my that has English has a second language. The language of the HCSB or NIV flows better for me. On the other hand I read the KJV more often than the NASB.
    e. Instead of the Notes in the Ryrie I use the Bible Knowledge Commentary.
    f. I more familiar with the Thompson Chains study system.

Conclusion:
    I like the Ryrie Study Bible. I trust its theology even if it may be a more dispy than I may be. You can learn a lot of good things from it. I would buy it in leather if I should buy it today.
    But I think that a Thompson Chain Bible or a Scofield Bible together with the Bible Knowledge Commentary may be a better choice, at least for me.
    I thank the Lord that it is allowed to have more than one Study Bible.

#3 Psalm 95, Oct 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2007
  4. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

I have a Ryrie NASB SB and a Charles Stanley Calfskin NASB too. Love them both. I got my Ryrie because it has a 10 point font size so it is easier to read. Nice soft Gen. leather too. The Theological Doctrine is very good also. But anything written by a man is just HIS opinion.

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I had a Ryrie study Bible. I was turned off by his notes on 1 Corinthians 11 about how we should examine ourselves for unconfessed sin, etc. Same old garbage. That was enough for me to get another Bible without any notes.

6. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Yes, I use the Ryrie and I love it! I have both NASB editions as well as the NIV, the KJV and, believe it or not, the NKJV. Yes, at one time there was a Ryrie NKJV available, but Moody stopped publishing it years ago.

7. pops

pops New Member

Ryrie Study Bible

I have that one - it is actually the only one I have labeled 'study bible'. I am currently using Dr Stanley's Life Principals Bible but after the first of the year I have to give it up to my wife because she wants it to begin reading through the bible with it. A friend of mine has the 'Archaeological Study? Bible' and I am thinking of getting it to read through in 2008 but who knows maybe I will go back to the one my wife gave me when we were married which was the Schofield KJV. (I started to say when we were first married but that implies we were second married but that is not correct as we are going on 46 years. When we travel we always take the NASB thinline with us as it is easy to pack , print is big enough if you know what I mean!

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I see at least one other that likes the larger print, these days. Glad I'm not alone.

BTW, what is the next larger size above 10 point, as I am not familiar with the nomenclature?

Somehow, the larger print in the text is more important to me, than any notes in any version, these days, since my arms seem to keep getting shorter, somehow.

Ed

9. Chessic

Chessic New Member

I use primarily a NAS95 Ryrie Study Bible in hardback. I do think his notes and articles are fairly solid, if more sparse than I would prefer.

My complaint is that there are so many typos and errors throughout, especially with the charts. The charts and graphs often have columns that are not aligned or uneven. Errors, though often small, are common; for example, one chart in Mark was apparently made by someone who does not know that noon is 12:00 pm and midnight is 12:00 am. Sometimes lines of text were obviously sloppily pasted in and are not lined up with lines around them. As with nearly every Bible, it is beyond human ability to align red text and black text on the same page, and to have the words in red all of uniform boldness, rather than some light pink and some dark crimson. The black text is often very stark and bold, so much so that it bleeds through the page to the next and bleeds around itself, so that characters look blocky and chunky and too stark. I wish it looked more like the Reformation Study Bible by RC Sproul--a hardback Bible that looks great, but whose theology I don't agree with.

The Ryrie is also the only Bible I have where I have found a typo in the text of Scripture made it past all the editors and proofreaders. It's small, but it's there. See Exodus 27. For shame!

The overall impression for me is that the commentary is solid, though written by just one man (not my preference), but that the edition is thrown together quickly and with minimal care.

I use it because I prefer NAS95 over NKJV and I have not found a solid NAS study Bible written by a group, rather than an individual. I may have to resort to The John Mac Arther study Bible, but I hope not.

If anyone knows of a good NAS study Bible, please let me know.

10. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Congratulations! That means a lot these days!

11. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I believe Nelson has one similar to their KJV and NKJV Study Bibles. You may want to check it out since (and I may be wrong here) the Nelson notes are not written by merely one person but by a group of people. If I'm wrong, someone please set me straight.

I believe the Thompson's Chain Reference Bible is also available in the NAS, but I've been wrong before... :smilewinkgrin:

12. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

Yes, the Thompson Chain Reference Bible can be found in NAS, but as I can understand not NASB95 but the old NAS.

It is published by Kirkbride.

13. Chessic

Chessic New Member

Thanks! I'll look into those.

14. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

I used to have the Ryrie Study Bible in the NAS77 edition, but I gave it away. It was too dispensationalist for me. My two favorite study Bibles are the NKJV Nelson Study Bible and the NKJV Thompson Chain Reference Bible, but it's also available in tne KJV, NIV, and NASB. I also like the NIV Concordia Self-Study Bible (it's like the NIV Study Bible but the notes are written from a Lutheran persepctive) and the NIV Reflecting God Study Bible (again like the NIV but with notes written from a Wesleyan point of view).