1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Sabbath begins...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Salty, Jul 23, 2003.

?
  1. Friday Evening

48.4%
  2. Sat Morning

3.2%
  3. Sat Evening

6.5%
  4. Sun Morning

6.5%
  5. I dont know

35.5%
  6. It doesnt matter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It's a violation of the ten commandments. We are not condemned by the commandments. When we don't follow them, we are telling God we know better than He does.

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must show with NT scripture that NT Christians have a requirement to observe a/the sabbath. Besides, if the 'Ten Commandments' are valid, that eliminates any debate as to which day is the sabbath; day being biblically defined as the setting of sun to next setting of sun. You are quite screwed, then, if you happen be at more extreme latitudes than the Arctic or Antarctic circles, or if virtually right on 180 degrees longitude. Just go by NT scripture in the first place and forget these ambiguities.

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Revelation 14:12 "This calls for faithful endurance on the part of the Saints who obey Gods Commandments and remain faithful to Jesus".

Follow God the Father's Commandments and be faithfull to Jesus. The Ten Commandments are the Commandments of God the Father.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Ben, your implication is that "the commandments of God" include the sabbath, right?

Well, which commandments of God do you NOT obey?

I have 450 distinct commandments of God that I am prepared to list and you tell me if you've kept ANY of them.

Sorry, sir, you can't "pick and choose". Either you keep ALL the Law or don't start telling me which part of the Law I should keep

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

So Dr Bob, maybe you would like to explain the meaning of the Scripture presented here? The Ten Commandments are Commandments of God.

We are saved by Grace, not by keeping the Law, yet is grace a license to sin?. no, we should all attempt to keep the Ten Commandmnents.

6. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Hmmm. There must be some jews and 7th day observers occasionally stationed at the South Pole station over winter. How do they observe the sabbath, when the sun never rises for six months?

7. Tim

Tim New Member

The Ten Commandments are the commandments of God ...given specifically to the nation of Israel (see Exodus 20:2).

I don't know about you, Ben, but I was never a slave in Egypt, nor were any of my forefathers. Nor was ever I enlisted in that Old Covenant, but rather in the New--which has greater commandments than those given to Israel through Moses. The New covenant was given through Christ.

Christ doesn't give us license, but He does give us freedom from the Mosaic Law--the very essence of our sabbath rest in Him.

In Christ,

Tim

8. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

I couldn't vote--not only because of the change in topic between the first post and the actual poll, but because the best answer wasn't available as an option: there is no Sabbath commanded for Christians, not in a present, earthly sense.

9. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

The way I know it is this.....

Jewish- Saturday is thier Sabbath.
    Christian- Sunday is thiers

Me personally ..... My husband has not been fortuante enough to have a sunday off so Wedensday's at our house is the Sabbath. Jesus worked on the Sabbath that was the major problem that I saw ( from my reading of John ).. The Lord said to keep Holy the Sabbath day...and we try too [​IMG] ......

GOD Bless! [​IMG]

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

The "Sabbath Command" is given to all people in Genesis 2:3.

11. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Certainly God did bless & sanctify the seventh day, seeing it was the day in which He ceased from His creative work. But God did not refer to 7th day as the Sabbath following creation nor did He require any law demand concerning that day until the time of Moses.

The fact is that the Jews knew nothing of the Sabbath Day until Moses made it known unto them, which was after they departed Egypt, after they crossed the Red Sea and were settled in Sinai region. See Nehemiah 9:9-14 (Note: vs 14 “madest known”.)

Obviously if God "made it known" then, it must have been unknown before. It is erroneous to teach that the Sabbath Day predated Moses and was legislatively part of God’s creative order.

Exodus 16 is the first place where word “Sabbath” is mentioned. It was something new to Israelites which had to be explained. Why would Moses explain a custom which was on going from creation? Why would the people have made the mistake of going after manna on 7th day if they were already aware of this law? It is also significant that when they did nobody died, an act of mercy to a people who were undergoing transition.

12. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

My best suggestion here is to get hold of a Strongs Concordance and have a look at what the words "Blessed" and "Sanctified" mean in Hebrew. The Seventh Day Rest was Blessed and Sanctified to the Host.