1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Sabbath- Do we still need to keep it?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Helen:
    "All the disciples were Jewish."

GE:
    All the disciples were God's Elect and Jesus' followers (at the same time).

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Never thought God was so inconsistent and changeable!

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, according to your view, one cannot be God's Elect and Jesus' disciple at once!

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think he was "so inconsistent and changeable" to turn from his plan to destroy Ninevah after Jonah preached to them?

5. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

1. The Sabbath was a sign between God and Israel, Ex.31:13-17
    2. No place in the New Testament is anybody commanded to keep the Sabbath.
    3. The Lord Jesus Himself didn't keep the Sabbath,Jn. 5:17,18

New Testament Christians meet on Sunday, the first day od the week. Acts 20:7, ICor.16:2 and it's called the Lord's day in Rev.1:10.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No, Rom 14 doesn't say anything about the Sabbath. However, it is saying that which day is "regarded" above another day does not matter if there are different views on it.

Good post!

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    Don't avoid the issue.

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    All the same old and few nonsensical long ago answered thousand time 'arguments'. Can't you think of anything better?

I suggest get yourself a bit better clued up.

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Read post 18 of this thread, e.g.

You have NO answer to it.

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Only mistake I made in this post was to say "Paul preached" - which is also shear nonsense. He "discussed matters" - most probably of the disciples' itinerary, looking at the context.

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't be as stupid as you are; though if you are incapable, perhaps some allowances might be made.

12. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

The Seventh Day Sabbath has to do with God restoring the moral image in man, He being our Creator and the one who alone has power to re-create His image in us.

Ps:51:10: Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

the Seventh Day Sabbath is God's sign of sanctification...

Ezek:20:12: Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.

On the other hand, much of the Protestant World has chosen to adopt the Sunday Sabbath as a way to say that because Jesus was resurrected on that day, that somehow makes it now the Sabbath and it supposedly means that His finished work on the Cross is what it symbolizes. In other words, the Sunday Sabbath is the Protestant's new "Only Believe" symbol. While the Seventh Day Sabbath was meant to take our mind back to the Creator of us all and when pondering over the fact that he was able to create all things, including us, He also then has power to recreate His image in us.

"Create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me" as David said in the psalms.

and as a side note, this is why I believe God has brought to light the message in Revelation 14:6-12 that first of all, people need to realize the Judgment Hour is come, secondly, there is a call to "worship Him who created the Heavens and the Earth and all that in them is" (quotes right out of the 4th commandment which is the Sabbath commandment) and thirdly points to the Saints as being they who "Keep the commandments of God and have the faith of Jesus". Note, the faith OF Jesus, not faith IN Jesus, in this particular verse. Jesus overcame all sin by faith, as we must do, and said "I have kept My Fathers commandments" [Jn:15:10] and we are admonished to "walk as He walked" 1Jn:2:6: He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

It is a call to realize we are being judged, the commandments are the standard in the Judgement, and it is God alone who can recreate and restore His moral image in man. And this is why there is a call to come back to His Sabbath, as the sign that we are His people and that he is our God. The Creator, that is what distinguishes Him from all the false gods. And as our Creator, He designs to create a clean heart within us and to renew a right spirit within us, preparing us for the Judgment. The Sabbath is a sign that God sanctifies us and not we ourselves. We have no power whatever to create anything. You may as well say the 7th day Sabbath is the sign that we need to be changed and that it is God alone who can perform the changing.

Jn:16:8: And when he [the Holy Spirit] is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment

Claudia

#32 Claudia_T, Jan 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  13. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Jesus overcame all sin by faith, as we must do, and said "I have kept My Fathers commandments" [Jn:15:10] and we are admonished to "walk as He walked" 1Jn:2:6: He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

It is a call to realize we are being judged, the commandments are the standard in the Judgement, and it is God alone who can recreate and restore His moral image in man. And this is why there is a call to come back to His Sabbath, as the sign that we are His people and that he is our God. The Creator, that is what distinguishes Him from all the false gods. And as our Creator, He designs to create a clean heart within us and to renew a right spirit within us, preparing us for the Judgment. The Sabbath is a sign that God sanctifies us and not we ourselves. We have no power whatever to create anything. You may as well say the 7th day Sabbath is the sign that we need to be changed and that it is God alone who can perform the changing. By Claudia, who else!

1. "Jesus overcame all sin by faith, as we must do." This is a slam either in ignorance or deliberate to the face or our impecable Savour.

1Pe 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
    1Jo 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

2Co 5:21 For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

14. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

By Caludia..first of all, people need to realize the Judgment Hour is come, secondly, there is a call to "worship Him who created the Heavens and the Earth and all that in them is" (quotes right out of the 4th commandment which is the Sabbath commandment) and thirdly points to the Saints as being they who "Keep the commandments of God and have the faith of Jesus". Note, the faith OF Jesus, not faith IN Jesus, in this particular verse. Jesus overcame all sin by faith, as we must do, and said "I have kept My Fathers commandments" [Jn:15:10] and we are admonished to "walk as He walked" 1Jn:2:6: He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

It is a call to realize we are being judged, the commandments are the standard in the Judgement, and it is God alone who can recreate and restore His moral image in man. And this is why there is a call to come back to His Sabbath, as the sign that we are His people and that he is our God. The Creator, that is what distinguishes Him from all the false gods. And as our Creator, He designs to create a clean heart within us and to renew a right spirit within us, preparing us for the Judgment. The Sabbath is a sign that God sanctifies us and not we ourselves. We have no power whatever to create anything. You may as well say the 7th day Sabbath? is the sign that we need to be changed and that it is God alone who can perform the changing.
    What a confused individual. I didn't think Pennsylvania people were so ignorant!

The Sabbath:
    1. When was the Jewish Sabbath (Saturday 7th day) changed to Sunday for New Testament Christians? It wasn't ever, nowhere(.)

A. The Lord Jesus didn't keep the "Sabbath." Joh 5:17,18 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work. Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

B. Claudia says that "Sunday" worship was started by Rome? She is wrong again, SDA writers say that Sunday worship was started by Emperor Constantine. HE DID NOT!
    Act 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

1Co 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

C. According to the Prophecies of the Lord Jesus in Matt.24, the Sabbath will be observed in the "New Earth" Isa 66:22,23 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain. And it shall come to pass, [that] from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
    D. The Sabbath is a sign, a special covenant between Him (Christ) and Israel. Exo 31:12-17 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it [is] a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that [ye] may know that I [am] the LORD that doth sanctify you. Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it [is] holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth [any] work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh [is] the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth [any] work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, [for] a perpetual covenant. It [is] a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.
    I am writing not for "Claudia the confused" or "Ed with the blinders on" but to others that might be swayed with the SDA (Seventh-Day Adventism) FALSE teaching on this BAPTIST BOARD. You follow the False teaching of Claudia the confused SDA, it will lead you to a devils hell.

15. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let me guess -- that is your best Bible-based presentation for ignoring the commandments of God.

Christ the creator's Seventh-day Sabbath does not "go away" everytime someone complains about being reminded of it.

"Remember the Sabbath day" -- it is a memorial of a literal six day creation week. Some people find that offensive -- others don't .

In Christ,

Bob

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

In response to this --

----
    The Sabbath:
    1. When was the Jewish Sabbath (Saturday 7th day) changed to Sunday for New Testament Christians? It wasn't ever, nowhere(.)

A. The Lord Jesus didn't keep the "Sabbath." Joh 5:17,18 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work. Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

B. Claudia says that "Sunday" worship was started by Rome? She is wrong again, SDA writers say that Sunday worship was started by Emperor Constantine. HE DID NOT!
    Act 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

1Co 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

C. According to the Prophecies of the Lord Jesus in Matt.24, the Sabbath will be observed in the "New Earth" Isa 66:22,23 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain. And it shall come to pass, [that] from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
    D. The Sabbath is a sign, a special covenant between Him (Christ) and Israel. Exo 31:12-17 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it [is] a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that [ye] may know that I [am] the LORD that doth sanctify you. Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it [is] holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth [any] work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh [is] the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth [any] work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, [for] a perpetual covenant. It [is] a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

----

Shiloh posts this
    Is it true that such ranting is the proper way to review the scriptures posted above. Christians would say "no".

In Christ,

Bob

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am spending the week in India and low and behold -- Shiloh has found a disciple.

--

18. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

You crack me up, Bob :)

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Thought I'd turn down the noise a bit, before responding, here. And blinders or no, I can read Verdana type, Size #2, perfectly well, even without my spectacles, thank you. :type:

I never said one thing in my post about agreeing with anything "By Caludia.." (sic) :rolleyes:, as to anything she was proclaiming, here, and in fact have openly disagreed with Claudia_T time and again, as well as Bob Ryan and Gerhard Ebersoehn, just to name two that are 'haunting' this thread, currently.

I have well over 2000 posts in just over a year, everyone of which, save a few that were in threads deleted by the Moderators or Administrators, can be accessed in the threads of the BB. I have 'argued' against any and all forms of legalism, time and again. In fact, if one bothered to read very many of my posts in the various threads, one could come to no other conclusion than that I'm about as strong an advocate for "free grace", as one will find regularly posting on the BB, and one who actually believes we are not under the law, but under grace. You might note that I did not disagree with anything 'theological' or Biblical in what you wrote.

That said, personally, at times I find some of the attitudes manifested on various threads in about every forum less than stellar, to say the least. And I have seen more than one on this thread, that IMO, fits that characterization, in what I would consider an ad hominem attack.

Should anyone want to 'attack' me, they should feel free to do so. Personally, I will not be particularly upset, as that is not my nature. It will merely give someone else a break from something they probably do not deserve, in that manner.

But I see no reason for someone or anyone, for that matter, to be Biblically correct, doctrinally, and manifest an attitude of an annoyed she-bear defending her cub, in her own mind.

When anyone agrees with Scripture, as I understand it, I will agree; when they disagree with the same, I will disagree. In fact, I probably disagree with the individual who is actually my closest friend for over 35 years (and is a BB member, as well) more than I have ever disagreed with any other on this board, for that entire time. :rolleyes:

If that is wearing blinders, please send me another set, as these are getting some age on them. :thumbsup:

Ed

P.S. As a Gentile, I never ever needed to "keep the Sabbath" then, and as a Christian, not under the law, but under grace, I certainly don't need to 'keep' it now, since Christ kept it for me, and I'm now found in Him.

However, as a testimony, as the late Dr. Oliver B. Greene once said when someone asked him, "Brother Greene - don't you keep the sabbath?" His magnificent reply- "I keep every day!"

#39 EdSutton, Jan 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  20. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Is it true that such ranting is the proper way to review the scriptures posted above. Christians would say "no".

In Christ,

Bob

This is Bob....

The Sabbath:

Now let me hear your response.........oh by the way, where are you in India? oh my wouldn't that be something if we were with the same bunch...:praying: