1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Sabbath Law

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Jul 6, 2013.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Again you are trying to wiggle out of the clearly stated scriptures. These scriptures did not say "seventh day" or "seventh day of the week." Your argument is not valid as it does not deny the "first day" sabbath in these passages at all.

This was your response when I merely quoted Rev. 1:10. This is your response when I give full exposition with complete irrefutable Biblical and historical evidence. Is this the best you can do????? Your argument is lame!

Thank you! These historical quotes support my position not yours! Again they define the Lord's day to be the resurrection day and thus Rev. 1:10 is the resurrection day. Of course it is the day "after the Sabbath" meaning the JEWISH Sabbath.

2. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

It is obvious that both you and GE have seared consciences and no amount of evidence will turn you from the false Saturdarian doctrine. All we are doing is going in circles. I have better things to do than to argue with people who have no intention of being objective, honest or trustworthy with the evidence. It is an exercise of futility.

3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

For those readers with more objective minds. There is a simple reason why the words "of the week" cannot be found in any record of Sabbath law. The reason is that God applies Sabbath Law not only to other days "of the week" than the Seventh day but to greater periods than a 24 hour day. Hence, the proper interpretation of the Sabbath law must be INCLUSIVE of all Divine applications as any interpretation more restrictive condemns God's own use of Sabbath Law.

The Sabbath Law demands that only six equal divisions of time precede and follow the Seventh Sabbath, whether it is a 24 hour sabbath or a month, year or millennium Sabbath. This interpretation justifies application of the Sabbath Law to a FIXED DATE Sabbath as in Levitius 23 or a FIXED DAY sabbath as in the Jewish application under the Old Covenant to the seventh day "of the week" or the New covenant application - first day of the week Sabbath.

The Messianic Feasts in Levitius 23 and 25 all place emphasis upon a Sabbath that falls on another day "of the week" than the Seventh day Jewish Sabbath. The emphasis falls on 1st, 8th, 15th and 22nd days of the month none of which are the seventh day "of the week" Sabbaths. The Messanic prophecy of Psalm 118:24 predicts a new Sabbath observance in connection with God's work of raising Christ from the grave (Psa. 118:20-24 with Acts 4:10-11).

The Jewish seventh day of the week Sabbath has its final fulfillment in this SIN CURSED EARTH final seventh millennium while the new covenant first day of the week has its final fulfillment in the eighth and eternal millennium of a NEW HEAVEN and a NEW EARTH where again, God can look upon all the works of his hands and again say, "very good." The New Covenant Sabbath commemorates a BETTER and GREATER work than the first creation - the word of redemption and a BETTER and GREATER new heaven and earth. It is a BETTER Sabbath without any of the Mosaic Sabbath legislation that encumbered man under the Old Covenant but is a day that we are commanded to "rejoice and be glad in it" (Psa. 118:24). It is the "Lord's Day" for worship at the "house of God" and a witness to the world of the resurrection victory over death, hell and the grave and thus the hope of the Christian. The "Lord's Day" is the greatest visible testimony of the Christian hope that God has given His people. It his HIS day distinct from all the other days of the week as it does not say "the Lord's DAYS" plural but singular - and thus we should treat it as "the Lord's" just as we treat His Supper as "the Lord's" Supper.

#43 The Biblicist, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
  4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

No, yours are; the whole lot of them; lame; lame and sick.

... and ever so sick, so arrogant

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

GE you are doing the same thing as Ryan - NO SUBSTANCE - only name calling. I did provide substance and lots of it. Is this the best you can do?

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1. Hint - your own posts use "seventh day of the week" to identify the Sabbath of the 4th commandment. Were we "not supposed to notice"??

2. No one here has said that the Lev 23 annual Sabbaths are part of the 4th commandment weekly sabbath - but you.

3. The irrefutable principles established by all the Sabbaths are these.

A. The day in all cases is to be selected by explicit statement by God -and not man made tradition or tortured logic for the same.

B. the day in all cases is made holy and Blessed by God as an entire day of rest and for worship.

here again you admit to the fact that God's 4th commandment as specified in Exodus 20 is a reference to the 7th day of the week. (incredibly obvious but you set about to deny it from time to time for reasons that are innexplicable).

in Christ,

Bob

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And your own sources show that "week day 1" is in fact "AFTER the Sabbath" as admitted even by your ECF sources.

================================================== =======
    Ignatius pastor of Antioch and companion of the Apostles in about A.D. 70 says, (Writing about 100-118 AD)

And after the observance of the Sabbath, let every friend of Christ keep the Lord’s Day as a festival, the resurrection day, the queen and chief of all the days [of the week]. Looking forward to this, the prophet declared, “To the end, for the eighth day,” on which our life both sprang up again, and the victory over death was obtained in Christ… Roberts, Alexander and Donaldson, James Editors, The Ante-Nicene Father’s, “Epistle of Ignatius to the Magnesians” Vol. I, p. 63
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthre...44#post2008344

Cyprian, Bishop of Carthage in A.D. 250 says,

The eighth day, that is, the first day after the Sabbath is the Lord’s Day.
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=87193&page=12[/FONT]

=====================

I cannot be blamed because your own posts debunk your own assertions.

Since you appear to abandon scripture and appeal primarily to extra-biblical sources to make your case that week-day-1 is the Lord's day -

I will grant you this - man made tradition does ride out against the Word of God - as Christ declared in Mark 7:6-13. And you are finding a good case for that idea (that flies in the face of Christ's teaching in Mark 7.) by using those extrabiblical references above.

They prove that your idea of a first-day Sabbath is bogus - because they argue that even by their strained - man-made-tradition for week-day-1 it is "AFTER the Sabbath".

The other thing they show is a direct contrast between a near-first-century text claiming that week-day-1 is the Lord's day - and your horribly tortured and strained method trying to make the same case from actual Bible texts - that don't say it at all.

How were we "not supposed to notice"??

in Christ,

Bob

8. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

How desperate are you???? My position is clearly stated and it seems you and GE are the only one who cannot understand it. The very nature of my position accepts the application to the seventh day "of the week" EQUALLY with the first day "of the week" or any other day "of the week." What is it that you don't understand about my position???

Somehow in your twisted little mind you think that admission that it was applied to the seventh day "of the week" is some how an admission of error on my part????????????

You forgot someone else! God! Or don't you recall how the 23rd chapter opens???? Let me remind you:

1 ¶ And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
    2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the LORD, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my feasts.
    3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings

And did I forget to remind you how he closes this chapter also?

38 Beside the sabbaths of the LORD, and beside your gifts, and beside all your vows, and beside all your freewill offerings, which ye give unto the LORD.

Oh yes, and there is the little fact that "sabbaths" have no meaning apart from the law of the sabbath.

You can't see the forest for the tree in your face. These two facts are merely the beginning of many other contextual irrefutable facts:

C. These are all Messanic in type in regard to the first coming and public administraton of the New Covenant.

D. The numbers chose do not correspond with the Seventh day of the week Sabbath as in 7th 14th, 21st, 28th but correspond with the first day of the week sabbath as in 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 50th

E. The Sabbath closes and yet introduces six working days just as the seventh month is also the first month of the Jewish new year, and opens with the first day Sabbath, and so seven and first are not incompatible but both are inseparable in the Sabbath Law.

#48 The Biblicist, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
  9. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

They were talking about the JEWISH application of the Sabbath which is a legitimate application of the Sabbath Law.

Ignatius is distinguishing the Jewish Sabbath from "THE LORD'S DAY"! Don't want to admit that Revelation 1:10 is applied by Ignatius to Sunday and not to the Jewish Sabbath do you???????????????

================================================== =======
    Ignatius pastor of Antioch and companion of the Apostles in about A.D. 70 says, (Writing about 100-118 AD)

And after the observance of the Sabbath, let every friend of Christ keep the Lord’s Day as a festival, the resurrection day, the queen and chief of all the days [of the week]. Looking forward to this, the prophet declared, “To the end, for the eighth day,” on which our life both sprang up again, and the victory over death was obtained in Christ… Roberts, Alexander and Donaldson, James Editors, The Ante-Nicene Father’s, “Epistle of Ignatius to the Magnesians” Vol. I, p. 63
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthre...44#post2008344

You are shooting yourself in the foot! You are proving that BEFORE CONSTANTINE they universally saw the resurrection day as THE LORD'S DAY distinct from the JEWISH Sabbath. Thus Revelation 1:10 was viewed as SUNDAY! Now, let's see, what would the "LORD's DAY" be called prior to the cross???? That is right, it is another name for "THE SABBATH" of the Lord!!!

Isa 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

Readers, take note that Ellen G. White, and SDA cite tradition to assert that it was Constatine that first introduced Sunday as the "Lord's day" and day of public worship and now Bob is turning against tradition on this very subject becuase Ellen G. White is being exposes again to be wrong again. Sunday worship as the "Lord's Day" had been recognized since Ignatius a disciple of the Apostle John.

#49 The Biblicist, Jul 11, 2013
  10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This exactly is what I – speaking for myself only – do not understand.

What is there to understand, anyway?!

This is how I – speaking for myself only – understand what I understand.

In the Fourth Commandment “the Sabbath” is named by meaning as such, “the Sabbath”—“Rest Day” of God; and by number as such, “the day The Seventh Day”—the same “Rest Day” of God after He finished six days’ creation.

Both names “Sabbath” and “The Seventh Day”, are also used in the New Testament, name-by-number, “the day The Seventh Day”, Hebrews 4:4; and name-by-meaning, “Sabbath-Rest-Observance” Hebrews 4:9.

The six days that in the Bible in the beginning came before “The Seventh Day God finished on and rested”, got their names from it.
    These six days that in the beginning were created before the Seventh Day and “The Seventh Day” itself, for ever after began the unique and specific “seven” Bible-"days of the week”.

That is why any of this group- / set- / pattern-of-days in the New Testament refers to, “the Sabbath” with their names, e.g., “First Day of-the-Sabbath // of the week”, ‘mian sabbatohn’ / ‘mian sabbatou’.

Being a matter of Greek Grammar, when for example it is “the First Day-referenced-TO-FROM the Sabbath” or “the First Day -referenced-FROM-TO the Sabbath”, the name-word for the day is “the First”—“the First Day”.

Genitive, “Sabbatohn” if something “OF-the Sabbath” e.g., “Sabbath’s-time”;
    Accusative, ‘MIAN sabbatohn’ / ‘MIAN sabbatou’ when referring to or being referenced from “the Sabbath”.
    Dative, ‘MIAI sabbatohn’ if “on” or “in” or “with” “the Sabbath”.

Anyhow, everything about the seven days that make the week—the six days before “The Seventh Day Sabbath” and the Sabbath or Seventh Day itself—is ‘Biblical’ both Old and New Testament.
    The Bible is the only source for the origin and history of the Sabbath and its six associated days known as ‘the Week’, and the only indicator of present meaning. Nothing else explains better or gives more information about the ‘Sabbath’ and ‘the week’ than the Bible.

#50 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jul 11, 2013
  11. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

What you are failing to see is that name and number do not equal application as Leviticus 23-25 obviously proves that name and number do not equal application. Name and number in connection with six working days before and after = principle not application. The application varies because the principle is sufficient broad to include the various applications.

The seventh day "of the week" is one application but not the only or limited application. The first day "of the week" is another equally valid application of the very same principle.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

1. The self-conflicted nature of your two statements is hard to ignore.

2. Your wild claim that "first day of the week" or "any day of the week" could be found in the Sabbath Commandment - as we read it in Exodus 20:8-11 has no credibility at all.

Because what we find there is ONLY a reference to the "SEVENTH day" blessed, hallowed, sanctified.

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sadly your facts are once again lacking.

R.C Sproul admits that the Sabbath commandment as we find it in the Ten Commandments is a reference to Saturday - the 7th day of the week - as God gave it.

Your own Baptist Confession of Faith applies this term as the 7th day and explicitly NOT the first day of the week - as God gave it in the actual Bible in the OT.

They both hope to "change/edit/alter" God's law once they get to the NT - but starting in the OT they freely admit that it was the 7th day of the week - "Saturday" as Sproul states it.

Making up pejoratives such a "Saturdarian" because you object to "Sabbath keeper" is not as compelling an argument for your view as you may have at first imagined to yourself.

in Christ,

Bob

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All Sabbath "Law" - has these points in common.

1. The day for Sabbath is selected by God - it is not up to man-made tradition to invent one.

2. The day for Sabbath is to be kept holy - is binding on man -

3. The day is 24 hours not 2 or 3 hours in church.

4. The Word of God deals with the scope for each Sabbath.

in the case of the 4th commandment "From Sabbath to Sabbath ...shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" in the new heavens and new earth of Rev 21. According to Isaiah 66.

in Christ,

Bob

15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You are creating the contradiction by changing my words. I never said at any time that any day could be found "in" the Sabbath commandment. There is a radical difference between saying any day can be found "in" the Sabbath command and the sabbath command may be "applied" to any date or day.

The difference is that the sabbath command and its days plural do not change as it is always six days preceding and following the seventh day Sabbath. What particular six days in the calender those six are applied to is another story. If the Sabbath is applied to the first day of the week, then there are six days preceding and following it making it the seventh day in that Sabbath pattern. Select any date on your calendar and Number six days before it and six days after it. In that pattern of days whatever date you have selected to be the Sabbath is the seventh day following and preceding those twelve days (six before and six after). If you cannot understand that, then I cannot help you.

The only difference is that God is the one who selects the date or day and not you (Psa. 118:24).

#55 The Biblicist, Jul 11, 2013
  16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Obviously you cannot pull that on that 4th commandment.

The 7th day of the week is Saturday and this is the day that the 4th commandment is referencing - not "week day 1" as you suggest above.

in Christ,

Bob

17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Obviously you either do not understand what I have said or you do and your intentionally attempting to create diversion and confusion. The latter is most probable.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If that is your backhanded way of saying that you think the 4th commandment is pointing at the 7th day of the week (as the Baptist Confession of Faith and C.H Spurgeon admit) - and that this is Saturday (as R.C. Sproul and others admit) then - agreement noted - those said disagreeably on your part.

If on the other hand you wish to lump them all into your term "Saturdarian" then odd - but your choice.

in Christ,

Bob

19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You are confusing the Sabbath Law PRINCIPLE of six days (equal periods of time- 24hours, months, years, etc.) preceding and following the Seventh day Sabbath with God's arbritrary APPLICATION of that principle.

God arbritrarily applied that PRINCIPLE to DATED SABBATHS in Leviticus 23.

God arbritrarily applied that PRINCIPLE to MONTH and YEARLY SABBATHS in Leviticus 23-25

God arbritrarily applied that principle to the Jewish week prior to the cross or seventh day "of the week".

God arbitrarily applied that principle to the Christian first day of the week from the resurrection day forward - Psal 118:24/Acts 4:10-11; Rev. 1;10; etc., etc.

What I am saying is SIMPLE to understand if you don't have the FOG of SDA dogma filling your head.

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian