1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Sabbath Rest

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Thanks JJ

Ohhhhhhh now I see it! Thanks JJ.. I liked it better when the little email was flashing too, you didnt have to really check to see if you got any mail :wavey:

2. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

JJ

That doesnt make any sense to me, what you said because what do you do then with all the many Bible admonitions in the New Testament that tell us to keep the commandments?

Do you believe in keeping all of them except for the Sabbath?

God is talking to Israel here, isnt He? So why would you think you should keep ANY of the commandments in new testament times then? I think I have heard you say before in here that you believe inkeeping the commandments, right?

Claudia

1: Now these are the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments, which the LORD your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it:
    2: That thou mightest fear the LORD thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments, which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son's son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged.
    3: Hear therefore, O Israel, and observe to do it; that it may be well with thee, and that ye may increase mightily, as the LORD God of thy fathers hath promised thee, in the land that floweth with milk and honey.
    4: Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
    5: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
    6: And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
    7: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
    8: And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.
    9: And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

So, if you believe in keeping the Sabbath, is it safe to assume that from sundown on Friday until sundown on Saturday that you don't turn on a light switch or turn on a faucet or cook a meal?

4. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Claudia I think Jesus reinforces all of the commandments in the NT as well as other writers in the rest of the epistles except for the Sabbah. I don't think that is reinforced, especially when dealing with Gentiles, because it was a sign for Israel.

Now Jesus and the disciples kept the Sabbah, but that was because they were Jews and that sign was for them.

I just don't think you can get away from the clear teaching that the Sabbath was a sign to Israel.

Now with that said I think we can draw some very significant teachings and understandings from the Sabbath, because there is coming a Sabbath for us as well if we will walk in the Spirit and do all of those things necessary to realize that, but the Gentiles do not require a sign therefore we are not obligated to keep the Sabbath.

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then innexplicably -

One has to conclude that as your argument failed you simply fell into "gaming" instead of actually responding to the subject.

In Christ,

Bob

6. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

how to keep the Sabbath

well since Im not a Pharisee I keep the Sabbath the way Jesus kept it. Of course I turn on a light switch, how else am I going to read the Bible and see where Im going ? I even flush the toilet. :laugh:

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The idea is that "The Sabbath WAS NOT MADE FOR mankind so it is foolish to honor what God commanded".

And though the best efforts of man-made tradition seek to abolish the SAbbath STILL God shows us our future "From Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to Worship" speaking of the future scope of Christ the Creator's Holy Day and showing it to have the same scope as the ORIGIN of mankind where in that ONE week BOTH mankind and Christ's own Holy Day "were MADE".

In Christ,

Bob

8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Oh? Where did Jesus ever violate the Sabbath?

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Bob, I know that you have some difficulty with telling the truth about others, but you have quoted yourself here to "prove" that J. Jump said something. Would you mind quoting where he actually said it?

10. gekko

gekko New Member

hope of glory - "
    So, if you believe in keeping the Sabbath, is it safe to assume that from sundown on Friday until sundown on Saturday that you don't turn on a light switch or turn on a faucet or cook a meal?"

hmm... now you know for a fact that those things aren't mentioned anywhere in the bible...

did you know that rabbi's nowadays DO consider turning on a light switch "work" but moving a couch from their bottom floor to the top floor of their house - that that is not "work" ? did you know that?

did you not know that those things you mentioned were the very things that Jesus came to rid away? the traditions of men?

hmm.. yes.
    those things are not biblical - and should not be brought up when trying to prove your point if you in fact are trying to prove your point from scripture...

if you are not trying to prove your point from scripture - then by all means - please use that traditional argument against seventh day sabbath keepers (not talking about SDA's...)

one thing to add - Israel is God's chosen people - the people of Israel have a time of worship and fellowship on the last day of the week - where ever they are - whatever time zone they are in - its always the last day of the week (which in fact has always landed on saturday - even when calendars were changed) - so. that being said - would not they chosen people of God know much more then you or I about keeping the sabbath? hmmm.. yes.

so read vs. 8-11 in exodus 20 - where it talks about the sabbath being on the seventh day. :D

11. gekko

gekko New Member

J.Jump said "but that was because they were Jews and that sign was for them."

mmhmm... so do you follow the commandment "thou shalt not bear false witness" ?

if so... well - you aren't jewish - you dont have to follow that one J.Jump!
    ---

that's redonkulous.

12. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I don't think that is a word.

13. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

yes that is a word, redonkulous is a silly donkey

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Since we have some people asking for this link "repeatedly" --

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=781145&postcount=2

Quote:
    Bob said -

Christ our Creator Lord and Saviour says - Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was MADE for MANKIND" -- yet as ALL can clearly see from the obvious quote by JJ above - he insists that "Mankind" means "UNSAVED JEWS".

JJ's eisegesis is "instructive".

IN Isaiah 66 God Says "From Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship". Yet JJ says we should not accept that truth - rather we should think that the Sabbath is just for "UNSAVED JEWS".

His eisegesis is astonishing as he turns a blind eye to text after text refuting that claim!!

Then innexplicably -

Apparently JJ does not read his own posts.

One has to conclude that as JJ's argument failed JJ simply fell into "gaming" instead of actually responding to the subject.

In Christ,

Bob

#34 BobRyan, Jun 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2006
  15. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

BobRyan you are doing like some other on there and just because a word is used in a sentence you can't supply your own interpretation and meaning. You have clearly taken what I have said out of the context in which is was given and used it to try and make it say what you want it to say.

Plain and simple BobRyan you are incorrect.

Basically what you have done here and is your common practice is to take 1+1=What BobRyans says instead of 1+1=2.

I know its hard to stay away from slandering when you don't really have much support for what you believe in. I believe James said it best when he said hand-me-down-religion. I believe that was the term.

But Bob you keep on spouting this stuff, because the more nonsense you type the more people are going to be able to see through your smoke screen!

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I post YOU saying YOU think these are just "UNSAVED JEWS" -- and THAT is all you can come back with AFTER YOU deny your OWN POST??

How sad.

Wouldn't it be better to either SHOW some logic in your own conflicted statements OR admit you are wroing. Simply making up more false accusations "instead" does nothing for your argument JJ. How is it that this escapes you?

17. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

BobRyan you have to be one of the most arrogant people I have ever met on a message board in all my life. Any more it is all I can do just to stomach your posts, because of their falsities.

Never once did I say that I thought those people were unsaved Jews. Those are words you put into my mouth and I will continue to deny them, because that's not what I was saying and you are clearly lying about a brother and are not only unrepentent about it, but you continue to try to slander me.

I never denied my own post. What I have denied is the false claims that you are making on it and the misreading and misunderstanding that you clearly have with what I posted. You don't have a clue.

It is nearly impossible to use logic with someone that is lying and slandering and unwilling to look at the truth of what is posted. It is nearly impossible to use logic with a person that has a clear agenda such as yourself.

Again keep posting BobRyan because the more you post the more people can see you for who you really are. And the more they see your bad fruit the more they are going to be able to tell just how false a teacher you really are.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I provided YOUR QUOTE JJ - and you pop through the ceiling that YOUR OWN WORDS should so deflate your baseless charges. Now you simply add diatribe and slander to your argument as "proof" of something??

Maybe I should just quote YOU again -- and again until you can either admit your own error or SHOW that you have an ounce of logic in what you are saying.

But you really need to pick one.

Simply tossing mud and adding obligatory diatrribe to obligatory rant does nothing for your argument. Or are you thinking that if you disgrace youself "enough" on this thread I will forget the actual details of the argument?

Why is that simple concept so difficult for you?

In Christ,

Bob

19. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, JJ, the Sabbath was and is for Israel - for ALL Israel, which is Spiritual Israel. It was and is given them and them only by the LORD Gof to whom the Sabbath originally and lastly belonged and will belong: It never belonged to Israel - not even Spiritual Israel. It Is the Lord's - the Lord's Day of rest and worship - "FOR the People of God still remaining", Hb4:9.