1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Sabbath Rest

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quoting J Jump,

"Now Jesus and the disciples kept the Sabbah, but that was because they were Jews and that sign was for them."

No! But because He was the Son of God He came to make great "magnify", "THY law, o GOD"! The Sabbath is all God's. He gave it for His Church for ever - which is the People that belongs to THIS God whose is the Seventh Day Sabbath.

Perspective!

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Sabbath in this day of ours has become a 'testing truth' as never it had been before. It challenges no less than any other Christian denomination, the Seventh Day Adventist Church, which as yet, it occurred to me, has been too self-satisfied or perhaps too cowardly, to review their fossilised ideas concerning it.

The rest of Christendom may not glee over their embarrasment, but should return to the Scriptures and to the Christ of the Scriptures, and stop slavishly to follow after and glorify the antichrist Roman Catholic Church as far as their superstitious "observance" (paratehreoh - the word used for "reading the entrails of a slaughtered victim") of "the day of the lord SUN" is concerned.

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quoting J Jump,

"... we are not obligated to keep the Sabbath."

We are privileged to keep the Sabbath - because we are Christians, believing in Jesus Christ who "finished all the works of God". Read this in your NEW Testament in Hb4:5. How did He do it? Read this in Eph1:19 further - through resurrection from the dead. But then He must have risen on the Sabbath, while He actually rose on the First day of the week? No; wrong! Because He according to all the Scriptures should have risen on the Sabbath Day, He actually did just that, and that is what you can go read in Mt28:1 ... as it should have happened, it happened. So the antichrist saw to it that the translation was changed to "After the Sabbath on the First Day of the week". Pitty! But woe unto the mother of harlots!

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now and then I agree with some part of what GE says is actually true! That is what is encouraging!

Indeed we are "privileged to honor our parents" we are "privileged" to have no other god's before the ONE true God." -- "Because we are Christians believing in Jesus Christ"

"IF you Love ME KEEP My commandments" John 14:15.

We are among those who actually Love Him and so we "are privileged to worship Him and not false God's" .

In Christ,

Bob

5. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Gerhard Ebersoehn if you want to keep yourself under the law then that is up to you. The Bible clearly says it was a sign for the nation of Israel. As a Christian I am not a part of the nation of Israel. I am a part of the one new man in Christ that is neither Jew nor Gentile and therefore that sign does not apply, but you continue to follow it if you want to.

BobRyan this will be my last response to you. There is NOTHING that I need to admit to or come clean on. If there was ANY need for me to eat crow I would do so, because I have done so on this board several times. But just because you assign BobRyan meaning to my words and take them out of context I don't have to answer you. I won't answer you because you are not looking for an answer you are just looking for continual nonsense of which I don't have time for. If you want to continue living and spouting your false teachings that is on you. You are like a number of others on this board that don't care to look at the plain teaching of Scriptures. You have been shown time and time and time and time and time and time again the error of your ways and you choose to continue. So be it. But quit lying and slandering other believers just becuase they won't buy into your lies.

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Since JJ claims the reader will not notice any problem here --

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost...45&postcount=2

Quote:
    Bob said -

Christ our Creator Lord and Saviour says - Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was MADE for MANKIND" -- yet as ALL can clearly see from the obvious quote by JJ above - he insists that "Mankind" means "UNSAVED JEWS".

JJ's eisegesis is "instructive".

IN Isaiah 66 God Says "From Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship". Yet JJ says we should not accept that truth - rather we should think that the Sabbath is just for "UNSAVED JEWS".

His eisegesis is astonishing as he turns a blind eye to text after text refuting that claim!!

Then innexplicably -

Apparently JJ does not read his own posts.
    One has to conclude that as JJ's argument failed JJ simply fell into "gaming" instead of actually responding to the subject.

Well that pretty much "explains JJ's position" - I love that way that substance of any kind is totally missing from that response. It speaks volumes to the problem in that tiny little corner that JJ has created.

In Christ,

Bob

#46 BobRyan, Jun 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2006
  7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It should be pointed out that JJ has been shown "time and time and time again" that Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ - our Great God and Creator has already made it clear "The Sabbath WAS MADE for MANKIND" Mark 2:27 showing that at the ORIGIN in Gen 2:3 it is MADE for Mankind.

Then JJ was shown "time after time after time" that The Sabbath has the SAME all-mankind scope in the future "From Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to Worship" Isaiah 66.

The failing of JJ's counter doctrine saying that instead of listening to the text quoted we should think of the Sabbath as being only for "Unsaved Jews" - is obvious to even the most casual reader.

However it is interesting that we seem to have come to the point where JJ now considers it offensive to quote Mark 2:27 and Isaiah 66 and ALSO consideres it a disservice to quote JJ where JJ insisted that the Sabbath of Christ the Creator was made for "UNSAVED JEWS".

Truly an instructive sequence of posts.

In Christ,

Bob

#47 BobRyan, Jun 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2006
  8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I feel fairly certain that JJump, like several others, find it offensive when you lie about others, slander, and twist the words of others.

Anyone who wants to honestly debate the Scriptures, JJump, myself, and others have no problems, even if there is no agreement. Agreement is not necessary. I will debate with Claudia, even though there is no agreement on many subjects. I will exchange posts with mman, even though there is no agreement on many subjects. (In fact, you are the only person on this board that I find offensive.) They do not lie, distort, and slander in order to "prove" their POV.

Your behavior if offensive to many, your lies about brethren are offensive, and your slander is offensive.

You twist and distort the words of others, and expect to not be held accountable.

The only reason that I have not blocked your posts is because I want to be able to expose any more lies that you present.

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Those ware pretty grandious and sweeping slanderous terms -- I am wondering what part of the LINK and the QUOTE given from JJ is in fact "incorrect" and if you will be showing any kind of "detail" that supports your wild accusations.

My guess is - you won't. And that would be "typical".

And the "substance" to go with you wild claims?

No detail? No specifics? No proof? Just wild accusations?

How "predictable".

Oh wait you have more..
    If I EVER post a vaccuous response with railing baseless accusations in it as you have just done - I emplore you to call me on it - and point it out.

I pray I will never stoop to that level on this board.

In Christ,

Bob

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Christ said in Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was MADE for MANKIND"

God said in Isaiah 66 speaking of the New Heaven ANd the New Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to Worship" Isaiah 66.

In these two texts we see the Sabbath - at its origin and mankind at our origin - the MAKING of mankind and the MAKING of the Sabbath. Read Gen 1-2:3 to see it. And we SEE that the SCOPE is set at the start AND at even into eternity future - as the SAME "All Mankind".

Impossible to ignore. Though you seem to be giving it a good try.

Oh and BTW - JEWS are indeed "members of mankind" - I agree with that point 100%.

In Christ,

Bob

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Law is it that keeps on keeping everyone under it for as long as he might live - for as long as he will be a sinner - it's not for me to decide I'm no longer under the Law. That would be rather presumptuous. To be under the Law simply means I must still die before I can be translated above the Law - which all the credit for must go to Jesus Christ.

But I gladly submit - through Grace - to the Law that is the Word of God. Jesus is 'my' Law - not the Ten Commandments or specifically the Fourth. In Him and through Him the Sabbath - mark the Word: "of the LORD your God" - not Israel's as a nation's! - takes on every bit of meaning it has for 'believers', 'spiritual Israel', 'the new man' - call it what you want, it's for Christians: "for the People of God" - New Testament terminology!

Paul assumes this Christian freedom most beautifully: "Let not therefore (because of Jesus Christ and He in resurrection from the dead, verses 12-14) you be judged / condemned by anyone (of the world) in feasting Sabbaths' Feast" - Col2:16. Don't, because feasting the Lord's (Sabbath) Day isn't legalism, but Christian freedom - even this side of death and resurrection still. "For it is a spectre of things a coming, even the Body of Christ's own growing with the growth of God."
    I appreciate Christian freedom, dear brother in Christ, because I have been set free for Christ through Grace amazing and incomprehensible. That certainly means I will not submit to the devil's designs, of which Sunday-sacredness is chief.
    This I find strangest of my brethren in the faith, that while they resist God's designed Day of Rest, they insistently regard themselves the lords-protector of the Roman error of Sunday sanctification.

13. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

GE you post was very difficult to follow. You posted some Scripture, but with all your () it's hard to tell what is Scripture and what is GE's thoughts.

One thing you seem to be doing is taking everything that was promised to Israel and applying it to yourself as a Christian. That is something that one can not do, because Israel and the one new man in Christ are two separate things and must be kept separate. One will get into a LOT of trouble if trying to make certain promises fit within Christendom. Israel is still God's people/God's wife. Christians that overcome will become the bride of Christ.

I may have totally misread what you were trying to say.

14. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

WOW you guys!

WOW you guys! You all need to have a Time Out and stand in the corner or something! All this fighting!

#54 Claudia_T, Jun 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2006
  15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

JJ dont go

JJ,

Please dont go, I just remembered this thread was here!

I like talking to you.

I have to ask you a question. I may of asked this before but I'll ask it again.

Okay now, see these three Bible verses? Its talking about the Law and Grace...

1Jn:3:4: Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Rom:6:2: God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Rom:6:15: What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

JJ, Why do you think that you dont have to keep God's Law?

And another thing, the Law isnt grevious, its beautiful! It just means to love one another, why is that distasteful to you?

Its not like God is asking us to do some terribly difficult thing!

Can you really expect to be in heaven if you havent given up your rebellion against God?

Rom:8:7: Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Can you really believe that you can retain your carnal mind that is at enmity with God and His law and be allowed into heaven?

JJ, I feel concerned for you. Honestly I feel like somebody led you off on the wrong track with this kingdom verses heaven theology. Please dont be offended at me saying this to you. I just want you to be in heaven and I feel like someone cooked up this elaborate thing to keep you from realizing that you need to keep God's law.

Could you just for a little bit just sweep away these ideas about the kingdom requirements being different than the heaven requirements? Ands just look at these things Im asking you. You must realize we cant stay at enmity against God's Law and still be allowed in heaven?

Romans 8:
    6: For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
    7: Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
    8: So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
    9: But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Claudia

#55 Claudia_T, Jun 12, 2006
  16. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

JJ,

This is a little off topic but you call God's people the "Bride"...

The New Jerusalem, which is the representative of the kingdom, is called "the bride, the Lamb's wife."

The angel said to John: "Come hither, I will show thee the bride, the Lamb's wife." "He carried me away in the spirit, and showed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God." Revelation 21:9, 10.

The the bride represents the Holy City, while the virgins that go out to meet the bridegroom represent the church.

In the book of Revelation God's people are said to be the guests at the marriage supper. Revelation 19:9.

Well then if they are guests, they cannot also be the bride .

The prophet Daniel said that Jesus will receive from the God, "dominion, and glory, and a kingdom;" He will receive the New Jerusalem, the capital of His kingdom, "prepared as a bride adorned for her husband." Daniel 7:14; Revelation 21:2.

17. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Claudia I don't plan to go anywhere I just don't plan on carrying on any more conversations with BobRyan, because he's not interested in looking a Scripture. He is more interested in other things.

Now as for your post, it was very difficult to read because of the light pink font :)

As for the law I don't believe we are required to keep follow it and everything that is in it. If so then we would be required to continue killing animals as sacrifices. We should be stoning folks that did anything on the Sabbath that was not allowed. Do you believe in stoning brothers and sisters in Christ that aren't keeping the Sabbath? If not then you are not following the law. Or do you not consider us brothers and sisters in Christ?

Do you believe that those that are caught in adultery be stoned to death? That would be a hard one to practice sense that would land you in jail.

Do you see where I'm going?

We are to keep the commandments of God, but that is different than keeping the law. The law is the schoolmaster that leads us to The Master. We are to obey as you say what God has commanded to us in that we are to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and we are to love our neighbor as ourselves. Husbands are to love their wives as Christ loves the church and wives are to submit to their husbands. And we are to love the bretheren because that's how others will tell that we are His, etc., etc.

However those can only be accomplished after we are saved and it has nothing to do with salvation. Salvation is by grace through faith and nothing else.

The only way that we are going to be able to do those things is if we die to self and allow the Spirit to live in us and through us. We can do those things of our own accord, but they will just be wood, hay and stuble at the judgment seat of Christ, because they will be done with the wrong motive or something that falls short.

Hope that makes sense. Dark Green or Red might be a nice font if you want a change :smilewinkgrin:

18. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well the Bible says that where the Lord is there we will be also. The Lord is not always going to be in heaven. We will be there for a while as the activites of the judgment seat take place and as the marriage feast of the Lamb takes place, but earth is our ultimate final destination. You can see this in Revelation as God will set up His Throne in the New Jerusalem.

So there aren't different requirements for the kingdom and heaven per se. But I think what you might be talking about is the difference between eternal salvation and kingdom salvation. And no I can't set those aside, becuase that is the way the Bible lays things out and we must believe the Bible or we make God a liar.

There's no way, absolutely no way, you can make eternal salvation and works play into the same equation without destroying both teachings. God keeps them separate and so must we if we want to understand His Scriptures.

And please don't be concerned with my eternal salvation, because I have placed my faith and trust in the substitutionary death and shed blood of the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ as is required by God.

19. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Claudia I have not fully studied out Revelation and the verse that you are pulling out. What we have to remember is when one takes one verse out of the Bible we can pretty much prove anything we want to.

In just looking at the verse you give in the context that it was given there is something that stands out. First of all it clearly violates other Scripture that tell us that faithful, worthy and overcoming Christians will make up the bride. We can see this picture in both the Old and New Testaments. So that means that the understanding of this one particular verse is off.

Here is just my quick take on the verse. When you look at it in context you will notice that the angel says come up hither and I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb (my paraphrase).

Then the next verse talks about "her"

Her brilliance was like a very costly stone, as a stone of crystal-clear jasper.

Then in the very next verse a switch is made from "her" to "it."

It had a great and high wall...

From that point forward the pronoun it is used. It seems to me that John saw the people that made up the bride of the Lamb and they were in the city, but when he starts describing the city John refers to the city as an it.

It seems to me that it would be pretty difficult to be married to an inanimate object. We have no prior mention that I am aware of where a person is married in the eyes of God to anything other than another human being.

So in light of other Scripture that clearly shows that not all of God's children will make up the bride, but only the overcomers, the faithful and the good stewards, etc. will make up the bride, we must say that this Scripture is not speaking of the city, but the bride and the city together.

Again if we find that Christ is to marry a city then we must see this truth in the Old Testament as well.

This particular verse does not identify the guests as God's people per se. But even as part of the bride we will be participating in the marriage feast.

Hope that makes sense.

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How facinating that JJ does not think his own post exists or shows him to claim "That the Sabbath MADE for MANKIND is only made for UNSAVED JEWS".

And yet the careful reader will see what JJ is so desperate to ignore

But one has to wonder how it is that JJ plans to practice this revisionist history -- just by closing his eyes?

You shall know the truth - and the truth shall set you free.

In Christ,

Bob

#60 BobRyan, Jun 12, 2006