1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The sad condition of baptists

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by deacon jd, Mar 1, 2011.

1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

We are hosting an evangelist very soon and I refuse to call the four days he is with us a revival. But, I am struggling with finding an alternative description.

I am praying for revival and hungry for God but only He can bring true revival in His time and in His way.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Here are a couple of suggestions:
    Gospel Meeting (already used by the Churches of Christ)
    Evangelistic Services
    Preaching Series

Sorry, that's three.

3. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Will he be taking members of your congregation out throughout the week to evangelize the lost, or is he just preaching to the church? Evangelists preach the good news to the lost, not to the saved. What is the purpose of having him preach; what is the end goal of these meetings? I've never understood the purpose of visiting preachers. They never say anything the pastor hasn't already said, & there is no discernible difference within the spiritual growth of the congregation after they leave.

Serious question: What is the purpose/desired goal?

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

We are inviting our friends and neighbors to come. Sometimes a visiting preacher can say the same thing the pastor has been saying for years and yet it finally heard. That's not when I say, "I been saying that for years." That's when I say, "Praise the Lord!!" The goal is to hear from God. The goal is to see at least one lost person come to a saving faith in Christ Jesus. The goal is to see at least one apathetic church member fired up for the Lord. The goal is for at least one church member involved in sin to repent and return to God. The goal is for an oppressed person to be set free. The goal is to worship with other Christians for an extended period of days.