1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Same God ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rex77, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Rex77

Rex77 Member

For those Christians that think we worship the same God. As Muslims.

I had a visit by 3 muslim missionaries at my home in Sydney Australia (would you believe) in full robe, hat, and all.

Their opening line was we have come to tell you about god .
    I said oh you mean Jehovah, they were shocked, NO NO Allah, I again said no Jehovah, NO NO was the reply again.

So much for the lie told by many, “after all we all worship the same god by a different name.”

2. gekko

gekko New Member

even the catholics - in the vatican council writings - the pope said that they believe in the same god as the muslims...

although i hear that muslims believe "Allah" is in the christian bible...
    get this:

'Allah'leuia... hahaha.

sorry. i had to. some actually believe that though...

but i agree with you rex... so much for the lie told by many...

but - a lie told so much eventually becomes the truth (small 't') - (who said that... stalin? hitler? can't remember...)

3. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Some try to be inclusive. This is because it hurts peoples feeling to tell them they are wrong. It is much easyer to pretend that we all are right in our own way.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

What's in a name?

5. IIJohn7

IIJohn7 New Member

I'm surprised. Not that they don't worship the true and living God, but that they were evangalizing. Every muslum I've talked to said that they don't evangalze.

6. IIJohn7

IIJohn7 New Member

From what I understand Allah is the name of the moon god that Mohommad's tribe worshipped.

7. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

It is not just the name. Every atribute and most doctrines differ making allah a different god then our God. One is real and one does not exist.

8. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

What are you saying. Is is acceptable to worship Allah as god?

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It is true that the word "Allah" means "God" and is used by some Muslims who become Christians (that's what I've been told by missionaries to Muslims).

But I think we have to make a distinction between a generic Arabic word for "God" and the God of Islam.

The God of Islam is not the same as the God of the Bible. If you look at the attributes of the God of Islam, this god is not the same at all. He's remote, unknowable, and arbitrary. He is also not a Trinitarian God.

So one should define what one means by "Allah" -- the generic term for God in Arabic or the God of Islam.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I guess what confuses me is the question what is GOD to you? Often, the answer depends on where you are standing. From what I'm understanding in this thread, if I use one attribute that is not Biblical then it is not the same GOD.

I contend there is only one true and living GOD. The Bible is not all GOD is, it is the portion of GOD that was revealed to man. There is way more to GOD than what is written in any book. This includes the Bible.

Are the muslims the descendants of Ishmael? The brother of Isaac? The son of Abraham? Now Ishmael and his mother were sent away into the desert, would it surprise you if they had a different understanding of a GOD that would allow this to happen?

#10 LeBuick, Jul 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2006
  11. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

If I say do you know Jason and you say yes he is 5'9" and I say no he is 5'11". It may be the same Jason

If you say he is 5'3" and I say no he is 6'9" you say he has black hair brown eyes, I say he has blond hair blue eyes. You say Jason is black, I say no Jason is hispanic.

I am pretty sure we are talking about different Jasons.

Now I agree there is only one living and true God. However there are lots of people who believe in imaginary false gods. Lets not say their false gods are the same as our living and true God.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Good and solid point about Jason, but does GOD have only one face?

13. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I believe Gods only face is in the Trinity. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

But even if your point is that other people could call him by a different name. It is not happening. Because those people who use different names for god like Allah, Budda or even the ones who use the same name as us the LDS and JW. They change the major atributes of God. None of them believe in a triune God. None of the above believe in an omnipresent God.

So it is not happening anywhere. Point out one religion that believes in a God with the same MAJOR atributes as our God, but calls him a different name and I will consider it.

14. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Le Buick quote
    ---------------------------------------------

Good and solid point about Jason, but does GOD have only one face?
    -----------------------------------

Yes.

Jehovah is revealed in Christ.

Heb 1.
    1 ¶ God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
    2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
    3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

15. Rex77

Rex77 Member

There are other gods but with a small g

Ps 82:1 ¶ <<A Psalm of Asaph.>> God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Of those who has seen GOD's presence, no two have described him the same. Ezekiel saw a wheel in the middle of a wheel. Solomon, a rose of sharon, lilly of the valley and the bright and the morning star. Isiah says he has a train that filled the temple. Let us not forget John the revelators description.

I'm not saying if you build a graven image and call it buddah, I just mean because GOD is all sufficient, he often appears differently to each of us. Bread to the hungry and water to the thirsty. Hope in a hopeless situation and peace in the midst of the storm.

However I do find it interesting to ask for another religion that serves the same GOD. Muslims I have always believed did because of the promise to Ishmael. I have often considered religions that pray to a god in the heavens as serving the one true GOD, but I may have to rethink that thought... There must be one...

Interesting...

17. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uhhhmmm.....care to elucidate on this ? And while you're at it, who are the twelve princes that he begat ? I'm not trying to put you on the spot.
    It's just that I've always wondered about Ismael myself, but find it hard to connect him to Islam.

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Not at all, I believe one should back up a statement like that...

I can't find what I'm looking for but I did find a starting place if you have some time. Start with the word Ka`ba. I found this as a start but will find more when I get back home.

Definition: The Ka'ba is a cubical shrine in Mecca which is sacred to Muslims. Muslims, facing Mecca when they pray, are in particular facing the Ka'ba, which they believe was built by Abraham and Ishmael (according to the Qur'an 2:124-127). Prior to Islam it had been a center of idol worship but tradition has it that Muhammad cleasened it of its polytheistic context and made it the focal point if Muslim religious practice.

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

We don't have to know everything about God to identify a false god.

The god of Islam, as described in the Koran and in Islam theology, contradicts the God of the Bible.

Islam did not come form Ishmael, the Arabs did. Islam came about when Mohammed had a vision in a cave and received this false teaching from a fallen angel.

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, Mohammed started a "religion" that was oriented toward one god, but it is definitely not the God of the Bible. You should read about his visions in the cave - he was so scared from these he didn't want to go back. But his wife persuaded him. He went back and got the "revelation" from this fallen angel (of course, he did not think it was that).

So it was one god, Allah, as opposed to polytheism, but that does not make it the God of the Bible. God would not have revealed the Koran and Islam to Mohammed in a cave. God had already revealed himself to his prophets and in Jesus Christ about 600 yrs. earlier.

As I said before, the attributes of Allah are not the attributes of the God of the Bible.

Check out the above article.