1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Same God ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rex77, Jul 20, 2006.

1. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

Exactly. Mecca was a trade center and there were idols there from many different peoples and tribes. Mohammed had all the idols banished, with the exception of that of his father's tribe, which was Allah. "Did he say 'allah the others have to go'"? :tongue3:

There was some interesting background on that sect too, including the moon god having three daughters (al-Lat, al-Uzza, and Manat.) At some point Allah instructed people to pray to them, but this was later retracted (and erased from history.) Writing about this is what got Salman Rushdie in hot water.

I did a Google for "allahs daughters" and came up with the following link: http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-allahs-daughters.htm. Don't know much about that site, but the page looks pretty extensive.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I have read about the cave. It's interesting reading. It carries about as much weight with me as John Smith and Brigham Young story. I just try and keep from judging my fellow man. That is clearly how you concluded the Angel was of the fallen variety. Jesus said judge ye not, lest you be judged...

1. I'm not saying Allah is the GOD of the Bible, I am simply pointing out Muslims say Allah is the GOD of their father Abraham which is the GOD of the Bible.

2. I don't see how you can say how GOD will or will not reveal himself. You sound like the people in Noah's day, good for him he kept building that ark. Not too much different than Moses at a burning bush, or Abram, or even Saul on the Demascus road.

3. I am 100% in agreement with this statement, "God had already revealed himself to his prophets and in Jesus Christ about 600 yrs. earlier". I will add, they claim inheratence via the promise made to Ishmael which is in the Bible. Their relationship to Ishmael is no different from Sammy Davis Jr. claiming to be a Jew. You make of that what you will.

Attributes of anyone's GOD, is based around their particular needs and relationship with their GOD. Ishmael, who lived as an archor in the wilderness is bound to have a very different view of GOD than Isaac, a city dweller. You'd be surprised how much of our understanding of the Judeo GOD came from the Egyptians via the great Library in Alexandria which incidentally is where Moses was educated.

I know of Islams view of Allah and I like you don't agree with them. Does that make them wrong???

The man at the pool of Bethesda may know Jesus as the great physician while the woman at the well may call him living water or the guy who knew all of her past.

Is either of them wrong? No
    Are they speaking of the same Jesus? Yes.

As PastorSBC said in the thread regarding the two witneses, something's we just won't know until we get to heaven...

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I'd never heard that before. I bookmarked that page and will read it later. I like a guy that at least studies to other sides view to see why he doesn't agree with them...

4. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Unfortunately, our "Christian President" also believes that Christians and Muslims worship the same god and that they simply have another way to heaven (presumably by killing Christians).

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yep, I read that also. I thought that's a strange perspective for a Christian to have. What faith is Bush, Methodist?

6. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

He said it twice. Once in an interview in England and once in an interview with ABC News. The ABC video used to be on the internet.

Joint Press Conference with Tony Blair
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/11/20031120-3.html

Q Thank you, Mr. President, Mr. Prime Minister. Mr. President, when you talk about peace in the Middle East, you've often said that freedom is granted by the Almighty. Some people who share your beliefs don't believe that Muslims worship the same Almighty. I wonder about your views on that.

And, Mr. Prime Minister, as a man also of faith, I'd like to get your reaction to that.

PRESIDENT BUSH: I do say that freedom is the Almighty's gift to every person. I also condition it by saying freedom is not America's gift to the world. It's much greater than that, of course. And I believe we worship the same God.

In an exclusive interview with ABC News' Charles Gibson, Bush said he believes that both Christians and Muslims worship the same God.

"I think we do. We have different routes of getting to the Almighty," Bush said. "But I want you to understand, I want your listeners to understand, I don't get to get decide who goes to heaven. The Almighty God decides who goes to heaven and I am on my personal walk," he said.

--ABC News, October 26, 2004

In answer to your question, he attends a Methodist church.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I wonder what he means by this? I can imagine several things but I'd hate to be wrong???

8. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Maybe I should send George Bush this email.

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Even if allah was the same God, the only way is through Christ and they deny he is God.

So they miss out on two counts.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe "Allah" is the arabic semitic word for the Hebrew-Aramaic "El", "Ela", "Elo" and even the plural form "Elohim".

I had a discussion with a Muslim once and asked him if the word "Elohim" was in his scripture and if it was plural. He said yes (Allahim) but it was because God is so big and powerful that He is sometimes called by His plural name. So on one level they identify Allah with YHVH and Elohim.

Muslims also believe that Allah is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (Ishmael and Esau as well) and even Jesus.

Therefore via the historic perception of all involved, Allah, YHVH and Elohim are the same God according to a comparison of the different sacred historical documents (Muslim, Judaic, and Christian).

According to the various Systematic Theologies however there is quite a difference.

Historically - yes.
    Theologically - no.

HankD

10. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    True believers understand that Jesus is God.

Christians worship Jesus as God.

Islam rejects Jesus as God.

They do not worship the same God, because they do not worship Jesus as God.

peace to you:wavey:

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You and Candy hit the nail on the head, they do not have a Saviour sence the believe Jesus was just a great Prophet.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

That passage you are quoting is about judging hypocritically. We are told to watch out for false teachers, so we are to judge teachings. That is the main way to decide if something is a false teaching or not. The Bereans were commended for searching scripture to see if Paul was teaching correctly.

I am not saying how God will reveal himself; God said it. And Jesus said. God is revealed by his prophets (which we read of in the OT) and by Jesus (see Heb. 1.1,2).

Whatever they claim, it is still untrue that the god of Islam is the God of the Bible, for the many reasons I"ve already posted. The god of Islam does not match up with and contradicts the biblical God.

I am talking about the attributes of God revealed in the Bible vs. the attributes of Allah in the Koran. This has nothing to do with our understanding but with God's revelation and the Koran's teachings. Are you saying what Moses wrote was not revelation from God?

I'm frankly mystified by what you say. Whether you or I agree or disagree with the Muslim's view of Allah is irrelevant. What counts is the revelation of God in his word and how that matches up with Allah.

But both of these views above are revelations in God's word! So of course they are both Jesus! The revelation of God in the Bible is not the same as the revelation of the god in the Koran, especially since the Koran is not God's revelation!