1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The SAT'S BTh Honours IS Academically Solid

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by SATS PROF, Mar 25, 2017.

1. SATS PROF

SATS PROF Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been with the South African Theological Seminary faculty now for 11 years. While I have supervised several other courses , two SATS PhD dissertations (accredited PhD), and 5-6 masters' theses, I now only supervise one of the required 6 courses in the SATS ThB Honours courses. The ThB Honours is based on a BA.

My own education consists of a BA, ThB in BIble from Linda Vista Baptist (now defunct), 2 teaching credentials from USD and OSU, an MA from Point Loma Nazarene, the MDiv (equivalency) and ThM from Western Seminary, and the D. Th. from Unizul (public uni in RSA). I list those experiences to show that I have the background to compare SATS education standards with others.

The NT course I supervise requires (1) passing a very substantial , subjective exam on DeSilva's 900+ page text on NT Introduction (use of book allowed) , (2) getting a brief research proposal approved , and (3) writing an acceptable 6-7,000 research paper evidencing a thesis statement on a debated doctrine in Paul. I expect papers to make extensive critical evaluations of sources, expositions of relevant Bible texts, and demonstate good understandings of opposing views.

I personally am a Word-Man Christologist, Pre Millennial, Calvinistic, and Baptistic. But I do not require students to agree with me as the SATS' Statement of Faith is only Evangelical.

#1 SATS PROF, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I can vouch safe for this brother, he knows his stuff!

rd