1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The SBC, The BWA and Fox News

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Rock, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Rock

Rock New Member

The SBC Executive Committee has voted to ask the SBC to sever all ties with the Baptist world alliance. The alliance is too liberal for Southern Baptist.

The North American Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention has inked a 3 year deal with Fox News subsidary of the Fox Network. The Fox Network has done as much as any network to lower the standard of deceny and morality on our public airwaves.

Question: Why is allright to be in a business relationship with a morally decadent television company, but it not all right to be in fellowship with people who profess to be Christians?

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Can you provide examples of Fox News lowering the standard of morality?

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Can you give us good reason to remain with the BWA and CBF? I can't think of any redeeming qualities!

Diane

4. Rock

Rock New Member

Fox News is own by Fox, please tell I do not need to give you examples of how Fox has lowered standards of morality.

I am not suggesting that the SBC remain with the BWA nor the CBF. I find it ironic that while the SBC is leaving a group of people that profess faith in Jesus Christ, they forging new partnerships with a company that promotes all manner of immoral behavior on the airwaves.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Can you provide a link this new aliance (SBC and Fox)?

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you kidding, really is that a joke are you serious? Are you trying to seperate Fox from Fox News, FX Network and Fox Sports? Fox is Fox, the money ends up in the same pot at the end of the day.
    But to answer if you are serious...

How many times did Fox run the Janet Jackson photo? Don't you think once, twice, even three times would be enough? No, just today in a story about Howard Stern, Fox ran the Jackson photo, why, I'm not really sure but there it was.

Fox News promotes and broadcasts Bill O'Reilly who is in favor of civil unions for homosexuals, is that lowering the standards of morality?

Allen Combs is as liberal as they get and advocates for postions that are in clear violation of scripture, it that lowering the standard?

I think the point of the intial post was to draw attention to the double-standard of the SBC. When they where in the business a "Conservative Resurgance" by smearing people's reputations, the guilt by association method was fine and dandy, use it up. But now that they have joined with a clearly secular agency to promote their own well-being the whole guilt by association is a ruthless and dirty trick. Typical of the SBC.

7. Rock

Rock New Member

If you go to Baptist Press and search with "Fox" it should come up for you. It did for me a couple of days ago.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Many Christian programs appear on secular tv. Although fewer then used too I beleive.

9. Rock

Rock New Member

How is this relevent to the SBC being in partnership with FOX and at the same time not being willing to have fellowship with fellow Baptists.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Becasue it's not new nor unusual that christian programing is on secular channels.

11. Rock

Rock New Member

I am sorry, Donna. Fox will not be airing any Christian programing on their network. The SBC's Family Net will be airing Fox programing on the SBC's network.

Also why is OK to be yoked with a secular organisation in this while refusing to fellowship with fellow Christians?

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=17660

Well, there not even going to be on a Fox network. They are only going to show news clips for a new program that will be on FamNet tv.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

No, their going to show clips of current news. Not a program.

from what I've read theres some unbiblical things the want to distance themselves from.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=17586

From this and many other articles on the Baptist World news web site, I gather it has to do with them accepting liberaliam.
    One difference I see is that this is a problem of associating with liberalism in church and christian alliances.

http://www.bpnews.net/bpquery.asp?frmSearchPhrase=BWA
    http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=17569

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

People complain and call the SBC liberal, but when they try and distance themselvs from liberals people still complain.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

Sorry for so many posts, but I keep finding noteworthy information.
    This is the best I've found so far.

http://www.bpnews.net/bpcolumn.asp?ID=1286
    Actually this article is pretty good, the most informative I've been able to find so far. I sugest you read it.

The more I read about it the more I can exactly why they want to break with them.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you noticed the article is by Baptist Press. Most likely the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Not too long ago Baptist Press wrote an article about this issue. Later ABP wrote an article quoting some of the people that BP claimed to have quoted. The authors who were quoted in ABP flatly denied the quotes and said they never said that.

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

I went to BP because the op gave it as his source.
    I also figured that who would know better why they were doing something then the people doing it.
    Made sense to me anyway.

19. Rock

Rock New Member

The question is this: Why is all right for the SBC to walk in partnership with a secular media conglomerate and not walk in partnership with baptist brothers and sisters. Is it OK to be business partners with a company that promotes a worldly lifestyle, but not OK to be in fellowship with christians who read the Bible differently?

This is not about why the SBC wants to leave the BWA. They can do as they please in that regard and certainly they will do just that. However, how can they seemingly have such high standards in choosing there relationships with fellow christians and such low standards otherwise?

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't see any evidence of a partnership, all I see is they are going to talk about current events news clips on a new christian tv show.
    One thing I see is that BWA is a christian organization who is not, as I read it, very christian looking, not a very good witness if they support abortion and homosexuality.
    On the other hand Fox news makes no claim of christianity, therefore not a bad christian witness.
    As I have said, many christians have programs on secular tv(would you say they have low standards becasue of it?), thus a 'partnership', then in that case I see no reason Famnet should not talk about the news and show clips from the current news.

You have associations with many secular companies, I don't see that you have a problem with being a christian and doing business with nonchristian companies.

In the long and short of it, it makes no diffrence the witness of non christians, it doesn't stop you from associations with them, but it does make a differnece when they claim to be christians and don't look much different from the world.
    Christianity makes the difference.
    One is christian and the other isn't, one is a bad witness for Christ, they choose not to associate with those who support homosexuality and abortion.