1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Scriptural Foundations of Calvinism

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by qwerty, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Primitive Baptist

Primitive Baptist New Member

"For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?" (I Corinthians 4:7)

Two men heard the preaching of the gospel. One believed the gospel, and the other rejected it. The one who believed went to heaven, and the other went to hell. Did God or man make the difference? The Scriptures maintain that God makes the difference in those that are saved and those that perish.

"For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another. But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;" (Titus 3:3-5)

It was not "free will" that brought Paul down to his knees on the road to Damascus. It was not "free will" that struck him blind. Salvation is not according to our "free will," but the free and sovereign grace of God.

"For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion." (Romans 9:15)

2. sturgman

sturgman New Member

Preach on preacha man!!! Whoooooo!!!! [​IMG]

3. qwerty

qwerty New Member

I started this topic, and hoped that I could get JUST the scriputures that support a Calvinistic view. It turned out like I expected, though. It appears that those who hold to Calvinistic thought don't think that the scriptures can speak for themselves.

I found the following quote to be somewhat humorous, yet totally consistent with those who hold to Calvinism.

"Posting the Scriptures that support your viewpoint and defending your viewpoint is the same thing I'm afraid."

To the moderators, would you please shut down this thread, please?

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

After having seen so many Arminian responses to scripture that amount to "My God is loving", "God would never do this", and "God didn't feel like saving your precious daughter", etc., I find this comment terribly ironic. It is made all the more so by your next comment:

I thought that was very amusing, too! It was posted by a person who was criticizing Calvinism, not defending it.

5. sturgman

sturgman New Member

Funny, I thought I gave scriptures only... I think it might have been... Yes it was, an arminian who posted no scriptures but told us what he thought of those verses. So your idea of us giving you scriptures and nothing else is that when an arminian gives us his OPINION then we can say nothing in defence. Go back and read the threads and let me know who started their opinion giving. "us calvinist" or an arminian.

Thanks,
    sturgman

6. qwerty

qwerty New Member

This was a test, ONLY a test of the ArMEANean posting system. Any posts with a semblance of coherence and sanity are only a figment of my imagination.

My apologies

[ January 30, 2003, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: qwerty ]