1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Scriptures

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Craigbythesea, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Is anyone reading this post familiar with a translation of the Bible called The Scriptures translated and published by the Institute for Scripture Research in 1994?

[​IMG]

2. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

No, but Happy New Year, Craig. [​IMG]

3. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

I've never heard of it. Do they have a website, or is there a website that has some info about it?

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I think I've heard it mentioned here on the board in a discussion somewhere but don't know anything about it. Do you care to enlighten?

5. Craigbythesea

I have been to the Institute for Scripture Research's website and I do have a copy of this translation, but I was hoping to get some further information about it. :rolleyes:

Happy New Year and Merry Christmas 2005!

[​IMG]

6. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

It is what is known as a 'sacred name' version. They use the TR and then sprinkle it with some Alexandrian renderings. They also source some corrupt books that the Jehovah's witnesses also used for their translation. There is an article on the internet that refers to that translation. I will try to find it and post it.

7. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

8. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

I found this excerpt to be of interest:

Michael Rood is currently, on his website, promoting and selling a "bible" know as the ISR scriptures. What the so called translators (who are unnamed) of this "bible" did, was to take a text that was used in the translation of the KJV Bible, and then alter it by inserting other texts in various areas to promote an anti Christian theological bias. This version alters key passages that would demonstrate the Deity of Christ. The late Chris "CJ" Koster was one of the people apparently involved with this project. A perusal of the numerous articles written by Mr. Koster, reveals that he called his messiah YAHshua (he insisted that the Name Jesus was "pagan"), but did not believe that He was divine, denying His Deity, and therefore denying Him as the Christ.

9. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

10. Craigbythesea

Boanerges,

Thank you for this information. Any additional information would also be appreciated.

CBTS

[​IMG]

11. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

You're welcome Craig. I know that there is other stuff out there. I am always leary of a Bible that no one knows who the translation team was.

This was a clincher for me from the article link above:

INSTITUTE FOR SCRIPTURE RESEARCH
    TEACHES IT
    Institute For Scripture Research, South Africa and Rhode Island, USA, is publisher of The Scriptures. This is one of the more recent entries into the ranks of Sacred Name bibles. This group continues to reproduce the Jesus/Zeus connection in print. As a consequence of their stand, it seems shameful that the words research and scripture are included in the name of the organization.
    Here is a quotation from the Explanatory Notes section of their bible (1998 printing) under the article Jesus:
    "Consider Iesous, rendered as 'Jesus' in English versions up to now. For example the authoritative Greek-English Lexicon of Liddell and Scott, under Iaso: The Greek goddess of healing reveals that the name Iaso is Ieso in the Ionic dialect of the Greeks, Iesous being the contracted genitive form! In David Kravitx, Dictionary of Greek and Roman Mythology, we find a similar form, namely Iasus. There were four different Greek deities with the name Iasus, one of them being the Son of Rhea."
    This statement is a prime example of the pseudo scholarship that seems pervasive within the Sacred Name Movement.
    The quotation has the name of the Greek goddess of health and healing as Iaso. In Greek, the nominative case of this word is spelled with the Greek letters Iota, Alpha, Sigma, Omega - Iasw. The Greek word Jesus in nominative case is spelled Iota, Eta, Sigma, Omicron, Upsilon, Sigma - IhsouV. Didn't anyone at Institute for Scripture Research notice the different second letters - Alpha and Eta - in the two words? Sure they did. They just hoped you and I wouldn't notice. We did.
    This brings us to the mention and use the Institute makes of the genitive forms of the two words. For Iaso, the genitive, as given by ISR, in Greek letters is IasouV. For Jesus, the genitive in Greek letters is Ihsou. The impression the Institute desires to leave with us and certainly with avid Sacred Name converts who read their bible and its notes is that the words are the same.
    However, the words are not at all the same. They are like the English words bell and ball. Consider the genitive forms of these words, bell's and ball's. That one letter makes them entirely different words.
    Bell's and ball's may look alike and even sound a bit alike, but that is the end of their similarity. One is not derived from the other. The Greek words IasouV and Ihsou to some may look alike and they, too, sound a bit alike. There ends their similarity. One is in no case derived from the other. The people at Institute for Scripture Research know this.
    Add to this, the fact that Liddell and Scott's Lexicon, at least the one on my book shelves, makes no mention of Iaso being Ieso in the Iconic dialect. Perhaps someone misread it.
    Now, we come to the Son of Rhea - Zeus. So, the Institute is attempting to foist off on us the same old Sacred Name Movement absurdity that Jesus equals Zeus. When in truth, the words are not connected in any way. They only look alike because of the final two letters.
    If, however, we do as some SNM teachers do and force a twisted pronunciation of the word Jesus, Gee-zoos, we can make the words sort of sound alike. For many Sacred Name people, that is enough. It also seems to be enough for Institute for Scripture Research.
    This whole idea given to us by the Institute is gobbledygook, folderol, and foolishness. It is inserted in the notes of their publication, The Scriptures, with the calculated intention of leaving the reader with the idea that the name of Jesus is in some way derived from and connected with the name of one or more pagan gods, particularly Zeus.
    This is a false impression. It is the impression Institute for Scripture Research wants to convey to us. Such scholarship, or lack thereof, as is exemplified by this, brings shame on many who indulge in it.
    If the Institute would study the Scriptures a bit more and do some real Research, they would find this myth to by unworthy of the name of their institute and the false impression they leave to be unworthy of an organization claiming any connection at all with the scriptures.