1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Semi-Pelagian Narrow Catechism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Luke2427, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Strawberries? :)

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Only if they are using strawberries on stall floors these days. :thumbsup:

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

If people really believe that we "A's" believe things like this, no wonder Calvinsim is on the upswing. This is complete and utter nonesense(this belief system posed here). :rolleyes:

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Which ones did you think failed to represent you fairly?

Before you say "almost all of them" or something like that- pick a few- maybe three of four.

Here is what I suspect. I suspect it does represent most of the non-cals viewpoints but they haven't thought it through enough to see how it does.

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    skan...that is a valid point...just having some fun....but at the same time it is in reality very sad that it even gets to this!
    I have met people face to face who offer some of this....many more than you would think possible...I travel all the time....meet new people..get into bible conversation.....we need biblical revival...we as a country at this point in time are on life support!

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Uh, how 'bout 1 thru 37 for starters.

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

This which I bolded[/B gets a hearty (((((AMEN)))))!!!!!

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well Brother, when you smell straw, you are usually close to a stall. Guess what is usually under the straw in the stall......step lightly, politely, and ever so slightly.....LOL......Just kidding Brother!!

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I predicted this would be your response which is why I requested this which you ignored:

10. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I hear you. Truth be told, the reason I remained a Calvinist for a decade was due to some of these types of answers.

I remember the pastor of my home church asking me if I'd ever read John 3:16 and then telling me about a Calvinist he once knew in Seminary who is now selling cars, as if that should prove my doctrine to be in error. Answers like that only sealed me further into my new found "reformed" beliefs. It wasn't until I really sought to study and fully understand the scholars from the "Arminian" perspective that I began to question my Calvinistic conclusions.

I'm not suggesting that you all will change your views like I did if you do this. I'm only saying that it would be refreshing to see that you (generally speaking) actually have studied and correctly represented the opposing scholarly views in your posts, rather than these weak and often misrepresentative answers.

11. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

just for clarification sake...

You are NOT classicical Arm, correct?
    As they would hold to the basis of election by God IS His gorknowing/seeing in advance the decision made to accept jesusChrist?

NOT Weselyn, as you do NOT hold to sinless perfection, second act of Grace, as far as i know!

So what Arms are you, is there a third set?

12. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I don't believe all "classical" Arminians believed this and taught it in the manner we see presented here. Some may have, but not all. It's kind of like all the various forms of Calvinism. Who is to say what is true "classical" Calvinism since so many disagree as to what Calvin himself believed on some of the nuanced points of the doctrines? See my point?

13. JesusFan

Agree with you that there are indeed 'shades" within both cals/Arms!

Just curious...

What do you think about Amyralism? that is my viewpoint at the present time!

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

Hey, I liked Luke's OP, those were pretty good. I have been thinking of some for Calvinists.

Q- What movie did Calvinists boycott?
    A- Free Willy

Q- How do you confuse a Calvinist?
    A- Ask him to define the word "all"

Q- How many flavors did they offer at the Calvinist owned Ice Cream Parlor?
    A- Only one, why offer more?, people are unable to choose.

Calvinist gospel tract:
    Would you trust Christ today?
    A) No
    B) No

[offensive ("joke") edited out]

This is fun... more to come!

#34 Winman, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2011
  15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Now THAT'S funny, Looking forward to more.

Winman, you are setting a good example of how to respond to a Calvinist's satire. Give us a couple of shots yourself. No need to get your feelings hurt; just laugh and fire back.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The first and great commandment is to love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, soul, and mind. If you obeyed that you would also obey the Great Commission by preaching the gospel to all persons everywhere on earth, and doing your utmost to see that they come to Christ.
    The second great commandment is to love thy neighbor as thyself, which if obeyed, would mean to so sacrifice your life that you would do everything in your power to bring others to Christ even if means selling all that you have and going to the neediest places on earth with the gospel so that they too might have a chance to hear the gospel. For only by faith will they be saved. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Are you willing to go?
    For by grace are you saved through faith and that not of yourselves. It is gift of God, not of works lest any man should boast. Let's make it clear here. Faith is not a work. Salvation is by faith alone. Without faith you cannot be saved. Unless you put your faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and his atoning sacrifice you are not saved! That is simple Bible doctrine.
    At the age of accountability we are all responsible for the light that we have, and that includes hearing the gospel. If you have heard the gospel and do not respond in faith, but reject the gospel you will be damned. (John 3:18,36)
    At what age did you become accountable.
    If you have never received Christ as your savior you are not saved.
    He that hath the son hath life; he that hath not the son hath not life.
    If thou shalt call upon the name of the Lord thou shalt be saved.
    The onus is on you to call upon the name of the Lord. God isn't going to do it for you. If you think he is you have been deceived.
    God in his Sovereignty has given man a measure of free will. Though he knows the outcome before that decision is made it is still up to man to make it. He does not force salvation upon man. He has not made man into a robot as Calvinists portray him to be. He desires that man would receive the gift of salvation and worship God out of his own free will, and not be forced to do it as a robot would be forced to obey his master. The latter is unproven Calvinistic drivel.
    Dead simply one is separated from God. Adam was dead (separated from God) and yet he continued to talk with God. Dead doesn't mean lifeless or a spiritual corpse. Because the Calvinist has wrongly defined theological terms they have built on a wrong foundation and have ended up with an erroneous foundation. The foundation falls and the only recourse they have is to make fun of others rather than to intelligently respond to their own error. Pity isn't it?
    1John 5:11-13; Rom.8:1; Phi. 1:6; Rom.8:38,39; John 3:16; John 5:24.
    My assurance lies in the promises of the Word of God.
    The Calvinist has no assurance of salvation, for he is not entirely sure that he will persevere to the end. He can never be 100% sure of this, neither can he have 100% surety in his heart that he is indeed one of the elect? What objective proof can he bring to the table that he is indeed one of the elect? How can he prove that his name is one of the ones that is written in the Lamb's book of life. He cannot. The non-cal doesn't have that problem.
    Do you have a problem with that? Isn't Eph. 1 one of your favorite chapters? Have you read Eph.1:12, 18 recently? Or don't you like singing of God's grace?
    If thou shalt believe with thine heart and confess with thy mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord, thou shalt be saved?
    Do you know for sure, based on that scripture, that you are saved?
    Salvation is by faith and faith alone. But would the Calvinist of today believe what Martin Luther believed? sola fide.

Now that is the first ten. Good enough?

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes, those were all meant in pure fun. I am very secure in my beliefs, someone calling me a heretic, or a blasphemer, or having a dark wicked heart does not shake my faith in what I believe, I actually get a chuckle out of it.

So, if any Calvinist got their feelings hurt by my jokes, I apologize.

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

Great post #36 DHK, just because regular folks don't use $100 words does not mean they are not expressing the truth as they know how.

When the woman at the well left her waterpot to rush into town and tell everyone about Jesus, I seriously doubt she spoke in sophisticated theological language. She simply knew that Jesus was the promised Christ they all looked for. And whatever she said worked, for the scriptures say many of the Samaritans believed on Jesus for the saying of the woman. (Jn 4:39).

You don't have to be a theologian to tell people about Jesus.

19. JesusFan

Now if you could JUST refute"true" calvinism and not the starw man keep posting about!

20. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.