1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Shack

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Deacon, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Shack (fiction) by William P. Young (2007)

My pastor mentioned the book in passing at Easter Sunday service.
    Both my daughter and I busily scribbled down the title; we’re always eager for good book recommendations.

After reviewing it on Amazon, I thought I’d purchase it and read it for family devotions.

After all, Eugene Peterson (editor of "The Message" and author of numerous books) wrote:
    “This book has the potential to do for our generation what John Bunyan's 'Pilgrim's Progress' did for his.”

But after reading the book I can say that there is no way I could read this book aloud.
    One just couldn’t read the story without weeping.
    The gripping story pulls at your heart.

It's a story of a man who experences a terrible family tragedy and suffers afterward with The Great Sadness.
    This is the story about how God reached out and mets his need, changing both his life and his familys.

This story should be read by anyone who has been effected by tragedy,
    By those disenfranchised with God,
    By those that desire an intimate story of God’s loving care for his children.

It's a story you will have to share with others.
    It's a story of God's love.

Rob

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

An excellent read that can highly recommend. Don't expect a theological work, be prepared to step outside of your safe little box for a few hours and see this amazing book for what it is, an excellent treatise on the "God is love" aspect of His character.

3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Amazing book.

I highly recommend it. :applause:

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread Karen posted this:
    Karen, I've seen this review...and I don't entirely disagree with it

BUT people need to understand and read fiction within the parameters of its genre

Don't expect to find a deeper theology or inerrant doctrine in work of a fiction!

IMO the author of the review went overboard, expecting more out of a work of fiction than it has to offer.

For example, I can overlook the modalistic tendencies within the book as it attempts to explain the trinity, understanding that the author had to work under certain parameters in order to make the book flow.

The book is simply a tool for further exploration.

I recieved this email yesterday from the woman I purchased a book for.
    Do you think I'll have a better chance to tell her of God's love and grace next time I see her?

Rob

5. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

#5 jdlongmire, Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2008
  6. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

My wife and I read The Shack, and both thought it was great. Most of those who are critical of the book are taking parts of the book out of context of this fictional story, from what I could tell. We have shared copies of the book with others. I agree with C4K, reading this requires you to step outside of your box, but that is a great thing to do. We hear in churches all the time that we shouldn't put God in a box, but these same churches like to put God in their own box and call it the church. An excellent follow up book to The Shack is He Loves Me, by Wayne Jacobsen.