1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Sin Question In Romans 7?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, Oct 11, 2017.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to The Apostle Paul in Romans 7 is sin a condition an action or both or something else entirely?... Brother Glen:)

Romans 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shows to us that even the great Apostle Paul had to still deal with his sin nature after being saved.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He includes the sinful nature as part of it - and the actions that result from the sinful nature another part of that definition

4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The overall context is that the Law of God can neither justify the lost man (Rom. 7:7-13) or sanctify the saved man (Rom. 7:14-25). Only the substitutionary Person and work can justify (Rom. 7:1-6) and only the indwelling power of the Spirit of God can sanctify (Rom. 8:1-27).

"the law of sin" or indwelling sin refers to the principle of sin or the principle of "corruption" (1 Cor. 15:53-55) that still remains in that part of the Christian who has not yet been glorified. Our body was not born again and still needs to be saved from sin and so "in my flesh dwells no good thing." It is not that the body is inherently evil, but it is the natural appetites of the body which the law of sin takes advantage of and rules over the soul ("I" "my mind" "will") even though the soul delights in the law of God "after the inward man (regenerated spirit - Jn. 3:6). The law of sin is first a CONDITION or STATE under which our body operates and will operate until the principle of corruption is removed at glorification (1 Cor. 15:53-55).

The new birth reversed the moral condition of our spirit, which in turn governs the moral inclination of our soul (heart, mind, will) and so Paul says that his moral inclination is to do good (Rom. 7:15-17; 19-20) as the moral inclination of his soul "delights in the law of God." However, the problem is that even though his soul has the moral inclination to do good, his will does not have the POWER to overrule the power of indwelling sin and so he always ends up sinning (attitudes and actions).

The new birth does not give power to overcome sin in the soul or life of a child of God. It is the power and Person of the indwelling Spirit of God that gives power to overcome sin (Rom. 8:8-13).

So, you are a sinner by birth, by nature and by practice and that does not change with regard to the unredeemed elements of your fallen human nature after new birth of your spirit. You must learn to WALK as you received (Col. 3:6) because without Christ you can do nothing.

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Law of God is a standard. As James points out - it reveals truth but does not change it.

Only the substitutionary Person and work can justify (Rom. 7:1-6) and only the indwelling power of the Spirit of God can sanctify (Rom. 8:1-27).

Still in Romans 8:4-9 we have the fact that the lost person "does not and indeed can not submit to the LAW of God" only the born-again person can do that according to Rom 8.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, we are commanded to submit to the Holy Spirit, and not the Law!

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Until you read the Bible.

1 Cor 7;19 "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God"

James 2 "8 If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. 9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all. 11 For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not commit murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so act as those who are to be judged by the law of liberty."

1 John 5:2-3 "2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome."

1 John 3:4 "Sin IS transgression of the LAW"
    1 John 2:1 "I write these things that you SIN NOT"

Romans 2:13-16 "13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus."

Instead of the Holy Spirit leading mankind to be at war with the Law of God - the Holy Spirit authored it AND under the NEW Covenant "Writes the LAW on the heart and mind" Hebrews 8:6-13

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are under the yoke of Jesus, NOT that of the Law, as the Holy Spirit Himself lives in and thru us, and that is only way God gave to us to live as we should now for Him!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I quote the Bible

In response -- you quote "you"

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So neither Jesus nor any of His Apostles commanded us to be infilled by the Holy Spirit, as that is the way to have power to live for Christ!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    read the Bible.

1 Cor 7;19 "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God"

James 2 "8 If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. 9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all. 11 For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not commit murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so act as those who are to be judged by the law of liberty."

1 John 5:2-3 "2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome."

1 John 3:4 "Sin IS transgression of the LAW"
    1 John 2:1 "I write these things that you SIN NOT"

Romans 2:13-16 "13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus."

Instead of the Holy Spirit leading mankind to be at war with the Law of God - the Holy Spirit authored it AND under the NEW Covenant "Writes the LAW on the heart and mind" Hebrews 8:6-13

I find your logic "illusive" just then

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 7 tells us that the power to live for God, and how to have victory over sinning, is not by focusing on keeping the Law, but by submitting to the Holy Spirit and keep on being infilled by Him!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are infected with antinomianism.Try true bounds of Christian freedom by Samuel Bolton as an antidote.

14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Does sin dwell in him

1 Cor 15:56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Was that emboldened a spiritual law unto Adam?

Could Adam have justifiably said; I am carnal, sold under sin?

Was Satan the devil, the sinner from thee beginning, already active before Adam was created?

Was it necessary for Adam to be created carnal, of the flesh, and sold under sin by being given a law, in order for the following to take place?

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8
    Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; Heb 2:14

Did the Devil and his works need to be destroyed before Adam was created?

Isn't this relevant to Romans 7?

15. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The Holy Spirit does not sanctify anyone by the use of the Law of God! We are sanctified according to a higher principle "the law of the Spirit" or love. The ten commandments were designed to reveal and restrain sin not to sanctify anyone. The ten commandments are characterized negatively "thou shalt NOT" whereas we are sanctified by a higher and POSITIVE law or the imparted righteousness of God as manifested in the life of Christ. For example, when a woman was caught in adultery the Law prescribed death by stoning - that is the letter of the Law. However, Christ simply told her to go and "sin no more." The higher law or principle of sanctification is truth mixed with mercy whereas the law shows NO MERCY. The whole law (moral, civil, ceremonial) as a covenant has been abolished forever by the cross. The inward new man delights in the righteousness revealed in the letter of the Law but operates on a higher principle that is not of the letter (2 Cor. 3:3-6).

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, we are still under the moral aspect of the Law of God, but we have ONLY one way provided to us to live for God now, which is to rely upon the presence of the Holy Spirit now indwelling us, as Paul wrote to us!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even after he was saved, paul tried to keep living by his own efforts, in the flesh for God, by obeying the Law, but He find out by revelation that the Lord gave to us now the Holy Spirit, and we must be infilled and in tune with Him in order to now live as we ought.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Where do you come up with these antinomian tweets?

In tune?do not remember that verse....
    Rely on the presence????

How do you know.....do you get a mystical feeling? Chills???

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So paul did NOT command us to be infilled by the Holy Spirit, and He did NOT tell us that he is the only way for us to have the needed power to live as we ought as Christians now after salvation?
    What does the Holy spirit do in and thru us then?

So if we are led and empowered by the Holy Spirit, would we not then be obeying the law, as that is what the Spirit does in us?

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Y1,

where did I post that?

where did I post that?

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
    10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

The being led by the Spirit is to mortify sin by being law keepers.

10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

so..why did you suggest this?

Paul said this;
    25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
    He did not see law keeping as inconsistent, and he did not say he did so in the flesh.

If you respond do so with scripture...or do not respond.:Cautious:Cautious:Cautious

8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

• Winner Winner x 1