1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Sinners Prayer

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Sep 21, 2017.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's fine. You missing that point, we were probably talking past each other.

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Apparently you are missing that point as well, as you can't quote it or refer to it either. No, we are not talking past each other. Perhaps you did not intent to either say what you said, or you intended it to be understood in a greater context you did not furnish and somehow we are to imagine is there, but Romans 10:13 is not prescriptive for salvation but descriptive and declarative.

3. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

I think, too many times, the 1-2-3 repeat after me, rolls off the tongue before Jesus is in the heart.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said exactly what I intended. It is wrong to use a prayer as a formula for salvation (I used the word salvfic formula).

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It shouldn't matter if you agree or not ... I have used the TSP for fifty years, and I happen to know quite a few who accepted Jesus under the ministry and TSP, and fifty years later they are still in love with Jesus. serving Jesus. And leading others to Jesus!

I never invited people forward for the purpose of having them complete a 3x5 card. It was always a six page questionnaire (just kidding).

I believed God laid it on their heart to accept His Son, and used me to share with them the reason they came forward, and if they wanted to pray TSP, we prayed it. It was never the same words, or as some would call it, saved by words of rote! It was simple and from my heart, based on the scripture, and I always let them close with a prayer of thanks for being saved!

Like I said. Over the years, I have come back in contact with s many I had the privilege to lead to Jesus, and every one of them were still on the Narrow Path, and being used to lead others to the Lord too!

I was always leery of the printed out TSP, to much religiosity. So I dumped the standard words, and went from the heart. Shooting from the hip, as the Spirit led, and God did the rest. Of course, I always preached the same way. As the Holy Spirit inspired and led. Of course, you all know that I believe in the gifts of the Spirit, including prayer language. And while this is not about that, it is necessary for you all to know, when I say "Spirit led" I mean Spirit led! There was such a freedom by not using sermon outlines, help cards, etc. Just using scripture and letting God lead my words! Shalom!

This is a great topic, Salty.
    Really, and necessary!

6. KLD

KLD New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Did prayer save Saul of Tarsus (Acts 9)? After he was struck blind, Jesus told him to go into the city and it would be told to him what he must do to be saved. Saul prayed the whole night, but it wasn't until Ananias gave him the "must do" part. Tell me, what Ananias tell Saul to do (See also Acts 22).

7. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Let me start off by stating that many Christians that have been saved for years do NOT know what "The Gospel" is. The Gospel is 1 For. 15:1-4 This is how sinners become saved. This is what you are supposed to believe in your heart. Remember that God can look right into your heart, don't ever forget that :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Billx

Billx Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me a sinner. (tsp) my question is which come first the prayer or counseling or the prayer?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of all the verses in the bible that describe God's requirement for man to receive salvation what percentage of them use the words "Faith", "Believe" or "Repent" as opposed to "Ask Jesus into your heart" or even praying a prayer for that matter? I'll help you out, Faith and Believe are found the most over 100 times, Repent is probably second with at least 33 times, and you could maybe argue that 3-5 particular passages describe a prayer, and ZERO times do we find man commanded to "Ask Jesus into your heart"

10. Billx

Billx Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a difference between mental assent and belief. Assent does not require repentance but faith does require changing of heart. Maybe repentance is a part of growth in grace.

11. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, however I fail to see how that relates to my post.

12. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me that repentance is proof of a change of heart on sin. Heartfelt faith and change that is needed for salvation.