1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Sinners Prayer

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Stanedglass, Aug 11, 2009.

1. JSM17

JSM17 New Member

Darrenss1:
    Are you suggesting that one needs to be baptized before he can be added to the church?

2. billwald

billwald New Member

>If a sinner, horrified by his sinfulness, cut off from any avenue of escape outside of the Lord Jesus, cries out "Dear God save me," I believe God hears and answers.

Why would a son of Satan be horrified by his sinfulness unless the Holy Spirit had regenerated him?

What does "added to the church" mean? If it means being officially added to the membership of a local congregation, then baptism is required.

If it means being regenerated by the Holy Spirit, then it was a done deal since before the foundation of the universe.

3. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Matt...

Whatever that means?

How is it that you dont know what it means?

Revelation 3:20...

John 14:20...

(cant remember the citation for that one)

#43 Alive in Christ, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
  4. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

No, yet I wouldn't bring that up anyway as it is not related to the topic.

Darren

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Others have already pointed out that that is a bad exegesis of Rev 3:20, where the Lord is speaking to a congregation of the saved (specifically that at Laodicea) rather than an individual unsaved sinner. The whole "Rev 3:20 = asking Jesus into your life = conversion" owes far more to Holman Hunt's romanticism than it does Scripture.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Unless you have Christ in your heart, a profession is but a painted pageantry for a soul to go to hell in. As a corpse is drawn to the grave by horses adorned with nodding plumes, so may you find in an outward profession a pompous way of being lost. God save us from that!
    "No," says one, "but I do not trust in mere profession. I have great reliance upon orthodoxy. I will have sound doctrine." That is right, friend, I would have all men value the truth. "My confidence is in my sound doctrine." That is not mine, friend, and I hope that it will not be yours long, for many lost souls have firmly believed orthodox doctrine." ---Charles Spurgeon

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I agree. The Holy Spirit also illuminates, convicts and draws during this process. Since the rest of the post veers away from the OP, I won't comment on it.

My view is that the Sinner's Prayer is neither prohibited nor required.

#47 Tom Butler, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
  8. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Romans 10 deals with conversion, not regeneration.

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I find it interesting that nearly without exception everyone contributing to this thread will preach that God is sovereign in salvation; that God is the one who saves. Then some will turn right around and instruct a sinner to do something to be saved. That he must perform some act to be saved. That he must say some words and everything will be all right.

Oh, but you must really, really, really mean those words.