1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Soul Who Sins Shall Die

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

The Soul Who Sins Shall Die
    This verse has been misused and abused over the last few months by some wanting to change scripture to fit their doctrine. Its time we take a look at it.

What does it mean?

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It means you are accountable to God for your own sins and not the sins of another.

Your wickedness is your own and your righteousness is your own.

The sins of the father are not accounted to the son. Which means that Adam's sin was not accounted to Seth and Seth's sins were not accounted to his children and so on and so on and so on, until you get all the way up to me and you. However, we all die because of Adam's sin, but we become spiritually dead (separated from God) because of our own sin.

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Thanks Amy for your reply.

I want to address this a few ways.
    1st...If this be the case, how do you handle the atonement?

Christ must be 100% man just as He is 100% God.

If guilt of sin cannot be placed on another man, unless he himself has sinned, what does this do to the atonement?

#3 Jarthur001, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008
  4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

First of all, are you questioning God's word when He said "his blood shall be upon himself"?
    We do not get to blame others for our sin. That is what God is saying.
    We are held accountable for our sins only. My son can't tell God that he sinned because his dad did. He will be accoutable to God for his own sins, not the sins of my husband.

Obviously Christ could die for other's sin because He did. It was His choice; out of love for the world.

Jhn 10:17 "Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again.
    Jhn 10:18 "No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father."

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think Amy gave a good reply. :thumbs:

This is what I think: The context is that people had been dying due to others' sins - for example, in the OT when parents worshiped false gods, or disobeyed God, their children were also sometimes executed by God.

Here God is saying this is no longer the case.

Jesus didn't die as a victim due to others sinning, he willingly took on sin in order to atone for them, and only Jesus, as the perfect Lamb, could do this. The atonment is not the same category as those who died due to the sins of parents, etc.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Christ had a body of flesh, but He is God. You can't compare him with mankind.

Scripture says if we (mankind), give our bodies to be burned it would profit us nothing.

No other name given under heaven, whereby a man can be saved. Hang us all, it won't profit nothing. Only Jesus, the only begotten Son of God.

BBob,

7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Did Christ take your guilt?

Was Christ guilty?

Did He die for your sins?

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

What so ever sayeth the scripture:

1 Timothy 2:3-6 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

BBob,

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Was Christ 100% man as well as 100% God?

Did Christ die for sins?

If so...was Christ guitly?

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Don't know where you going with this James, but knowing you, I know something is up.

What so ever sayeth the scripture:

1 Timothy 2:3-6 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

BBob

11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

in other words he died?

But was He guilty?

12. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

from here

1 Cor 13

21For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive. 23But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ's at His coming,

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No. WE are guilty.

Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray;
    We have turned, every one, to his own way;
    And the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.

He laid down His life for the sheep. It was His choice to do so. God planned it before He created the world, before sin even came into the world.

Why do you ask what you already know?

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No. And babies aren't guilty either, but they die.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If he was, then he would of died for His own sins.

BBob,

16. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Well this truth must be known or we fall into error. If Christ was not allowed by God to take my place, even if he was not guilty and I am the one guilty, then the death on the cross means nothing.

So just to be clear. Was Christ allowed to take my guilt although he had never sinned? Was he allowed by the Father to die for my sins when it was me that was guilty?

One yes will do....if you agree

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

This says more than he died.

BBob,

18. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

maybe you did not understand. Let me ask again.

Was Christ allowed to take my guilt although he had never sinned?

Was he allowed by the Father to die for my sins when it was me that was guilty?

a yes or a no will do.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A big affirmative from me on that one James.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't understand what you mean by God "allowing" Christ to die. Christ IS God. He CHOSE to die in my place. That's why the cross means everything.