1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Sovereignty of God

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Ray Berrian, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Ben A. Walburton, "Calvinism," (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1955), p.64 said,
    A.W. Tozer was pastor for thirty one years at Southside Alliance Church in Chicago. He has written more than forty books. In his book "The Attributes of God" in chapter eight about God's Sovereignty made these three statements.

Dr. Berrian is saying,

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good use of quotes Ray!

In Romans 3 - God makes it clear that the pit into which man fell was so deep - that no one among mankind "seeks after God".

However God "draws all mankind to Himself" John 12:32 - and in that drawing "enables" the choice that (if left to ourselves) we would not be capable of.

However Calvinism claims that nobody actually chooses anything "they are not made to choose".

So in Calvinism either our sinful nature MAKES us choose rebellion or God MAKES US choose life. In Calvinism - God is not capable of giving choice to anyone but God - otherwise "how will He know what happens in the future"?

In otherwords - it is simply Calvinism's failure to "be God" that results in their "God can't allow it" view of choice.

In Christ,

Bob

3. HisMercy

HisMercy New Member

The disciples didn't choose Christ, Christ chose them.

4. HisMercy

HisMercy New Member

It is foolish for man to take any credit for himself. All glory is the LORD'S. Glory in the LORD because HE did it ALL!

5. superdave

superdave New Member

generalization and hyperbole, great characterization of "Calvinism"

It would be helpful if you bothered to read Calvin's teachings and not lump him in with a few fringe people who call themselves calvinists.

I like the old children's song. "God does not compel us to go against our will, but he just makes us willing to go"

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My question to Ray Berrian is:

What is the sovereignty of God to you ? And please, none of those ramblings and musings that come from your finite and corrupt mind.

Straight from the Bible, according to what God says of Himself.

7. billwald

billwald New Member

Why does it matter? How does it change your day to day decisions?

8. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

His Mercy,

'Jesus called His disciples to follow Him; while the 12 responded to His call many turned their back on Him.' This is much closer to Biblical interpretation.'

9. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

pinoybaptist,

'While you do not like my correct Arminian doctrines, I must agree that my mind is finite. I guess you are telling me that you have a seminary degree, though you did not speak of it.
    As to me having a 'corrupt mind' this is merely a sampling of what is in your mind and heart. I in fact, according to the Scripture have the 'mind of Christ.' {I Corinthians 2:16c}

As to sovereignty my position is noted in my first post on this topic; please take time to read it.'