1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Spirit and Snakehandlers

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Aaron, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read through A. J. Jacob's book, The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible. It's an entertaining look at one man's carnal attempt to be obedient to all the commandments in the Bible.

In one part, he visited a snakehandling service. I thought the description of his responses to the preaching style was revealing, and I'm posting it in this forum because it's relevant to modern worship (which has its roots in Charismania) and the appeal of pop idiom music.

Was this a spiritual or carnal experience?

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Red herring.

Emotions should not drive worship, but their being present is not an inherent evil.

I'm sure there are similarities between your worship service and a Christian Science meeting, Aaron....but no way I would say they are related.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't answer the question.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm not answering because it's a baited question.

Should I answer "spiritual," there are obviously some issues at hand (one being the misinterpretation of Mark 16; the tongues thing, etc) that make my answer problematic scripturally. However, we both know that God can use things that might not be entirely "pure" to accomplish His purposes.

However, my answer of "carnal" will further your red herring argument that because these guys handle snakes, CCM is wrong.

So I refrain.

5. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that a little wisdom that I detect???

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Nah, indigestion. :D

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh puh-leeze! It was a carnal experience. Jacobs is agnostic, and his 13 months steeped in the Scriptures did not impart faith, yet he was caught up in the feelin' of the worship service of the snakehandlers. Note the elements:

-Continuous rhythmic repition
    -exhibitionism
    -spontaneity vs order

These things are effective in evoking emotions, even from those who have not the spirit.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not entirely pure? He called the king of Babylon His servant, Jer. 25:9. God uses Satan to accomplish His purposes.

That God can use something isn't the issue. The issue is, is it hallowed? Is it spiritual?

9. tenor

tenor New Member

So, are you saying that anything with repetition, and spontaneity cannot possibly be of the spirit?

Also the "preaching style" that is discussed here (with the exception of snakes being present and the misinterpretation of teh Mark passage) is possibly, if not probably, used in 75 - 90% of mountain churches. Where I live in NC for a while there were 4-6 preachers on the radio each SUnday morning that sounded like the man discussed.

Emotional, yes. Carnal, not sure. Was is worshipful for or a Spiritual experience me, no. I did, however find it quite entertaining, but not in the good sense of the word.

#9 tenor, Dec 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2007
  10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm saying that these are some of the elements employed to evoke a feelin'. And where the feelin' is a result of elements like these, the worship is not spiritual.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If they threw me a snake, I tell you that I would get the spirit in a hurry!!!

BBob,

12. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

<no dog>

Compared with:
    :confused: Continuous rhythm equals spontaneity?

</dog>