1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Spirit of Gentleness

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Benjamin, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As per another thread:

And Quantum, I commend you for being so commendable to other’s expressions of solemnity in your spirit of peace. :thumbs: Personally, I have a tendency to draw the line on my spirit of gentleness according to the level of aggressiveness I face, but first always “try” to consider the value of replying rationally in a given situation. Unfortunately, the level of aggressiveness needed to take down and pin the Op’s logic, which he refers to as exegesis, is even beyond the rough-housing level that some of us might not, for various reasons, such as cultural habituation, take as serious as others. IOWs appropriate gentleness can be subjective.

Anyway, just know some of us appreciate the reminders, in the spirit of gentleness, which you do possess, to not to take it to what might be considered the necessary level it would take to match the opposition’s aggressiveness. Yes, it is better to consider the audience’s perspective whether or not one considers himself qualified to step up to and/or justified to deal with an irrational aggressive debater. If he thinks he wins because of pushing that line, so be it.

A quick example: After becoming a Christian at a late age and going for several years without a physical confrontation some guy almost ran over my children with his car while doing a power slide and accelerating in front of Toys-R-Us. Angrily I yelled at him to slow down and he slammed on the brakes and flipped me off. I told my children to stay put and went charging up to the car with the intention to do great physical harm to him, but he took off as I approached his window. At that instant I wanted him bad but later I was SO thankful that my children did not witness the violence that unfortunately I was apparently still capable of because of my history (cultural habituation). In truth, although the beating may have been justified it would have been to the detriment of my children’s emotions because of “their” perception of the situation. It also would have been contrary to the values I had been trying to teach them which often comes by example.

So whether you mean to or not you occasionally remind me of the above story and to consider that more sensitive perspective of others and to reconsider my own actions in the spirit of gentleness.

Just thinking at this point it is worth while to say, keep up the good work and don’t worry about being criticized for not crossing that line and for raising the bar on gentleness.

#1 Benjamin, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

My flawed, fallen and fallible traits come to the surface often too easily. I am not merely a 'mistaker", but a transgressor. Thanks for "gentle" reminder. Blessings

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No question about it. You are wrong in most areas, however you hold to the essentials and would have been with me as I debated with this OneNess Pentecostal yesterday, despite our CAL vs. Armin differences.

4. quantumfaith

No question about it, I think YOU are wrong in many areas. So we are even steven.

5. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I share the same flaws and I think I have admitted that on more than one occassion. Still a work in progress.

6. quantumfaith

Biblicist, allow me to be cathartic for a moment. My "displeasure" here in BB land is rarely with positions that each of take, but rather the manner in which we assert ourselves and our positions over one another. My "self analysis" is that this is simply the "nature" of the teacher within me. I simply cannot approach students attempting to learn, digest and master mathematics with perceived attitudes of the like "I can't believe you don't get this" etc.

I "react" to my perceptions of such here when the mature thing would be to just remain silent.

Also my silence in "active commentary" on discussions is a function of my lack of knowledge, wisdom and skill in theological rhetoric.

Please accept my apologies for a lack of decorum far too often.

7. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Apologies accepted. I will continue to work on my flaws as well.

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Posting on the forum is an art that takes time to cultivate.

Physical issues in my life have come up that have made me a bit more forgiving and liberal towards the weaknesses of others.

My body's old enough to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

And if I've learned anything at all, it's that I know only a small portion of the wonderful graciousness of God towards me.

Believe it or not I was given a 'time out' once for an issue that came up.

Rob

#8 Deacon, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2014
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh::laugh: You have such a way with complements, Evan.

10. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I emailed and PM'd you but you did not respond. I did not appreciate this and found it rude. Are you humble? I am not trying to be mean brother just honest.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Compliments.

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Hey Brother Rippon!!!

I'm the BB grammar police on here...

[​IMG]

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can't be the Grammar Police. You are an individual. You can consider yourself a policeman.

Ed Sutton, now deceased, was the definitive Language Cop.

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

[​IMG]

15. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Convicted1 ("grammar police") I think you're now deserving of this award courtesy of Rippon (No "policeman"):

[​IMG]

#15 Benjamin, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2014
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oops...thanks. :thumbs: