1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The spiritual aspects of music.

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by 37818, Jan 1, 2019.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ". . . And it came to pass, when the [evil] spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him. . . ." -- 1 Samuel 16:23.

First music has a physical aspect, ". . . Saul was refreshed . . ." It is sound.
    Second music is mental, ". . was made well, . . ." We here the music in our brain.
    Third music has a spiritual componit, ". . .the evil spirit departed . . ."

It should be noted the text says ". . . David took an harp, and played . . . ," says nothing about singing.

The point being just the music alone can have a spiritual aspect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So we don't need hymns - only extended guitar solos.

3. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saul needed more than music -

1Sa 19:9 And the evil spirit from the LORD was upon Saul, as he sat in his house with his javelin in his hand: and David played with his hand.
    10 And Saul sought to smite David even to the wall with the javelin; but he slipped away out of Saul's presence, and he smote the javelin into the wall: and David fled, and escaped that night.

Spiritual music does have a spiritual effect - but what is spiritual music?
    Eph. 5:18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Col. 3:15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Words are vital for true spiritual music.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For quite some time there seems to be a strictly intellectual movement within Evangelical Christianity. But you are absolutely right that music itself can have a spiritual aspect. I think this evident even within secular music. I enjoy Ravel and Debussy (both impressionists). One can listen to Ibéria and capture the emotions and moods that Debussy was trying to communicate through his composition.

While another topic, I also believe this relates to sacred architecture.

Unfortunately western Christianity seems to have moved away from these ideas and more towards a utilitarian view.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do you get that? Just because music apart form any lyrics have a spiritual component? King David also wrote some Psalms (songs).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Satire.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean "cittern". :Laugh

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SAUL TURNS AWAY FROM THE LORD
    1 Samuel 15:10-11 And the word of the LORD came to Samuel, saying, “I repent that I made Saul king, for he has turned back from Me, and My words he has not fulfilled.”

THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS WITH DAVID
    1 Samuel 16:13 ...And the spirit of the LORD gripped David from that day onward. ...

THE LORD TURNS AWAY FROM SAUL
    1 Samuel 16:14 And the spirit of the LORD had turned away from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD had struck terror in him.

I’m not sure the text supports that the music was the cause of the spirit departing,
    Rather it is the presence of the spirit within David.

Rob

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this is very applicable. Music can be uplifting, and I believe spirituality significant apart from lyrics. But this assumes the presence of the Spirit.

I look at nature and without words see the majestic nature of God. When I see the architectural accomplishments of cathedrals in Europe my mind is drawn to God. When I listen to the music of Handel's messiah my my eyes are drawn to Heaven. But this presupposes the presence of the Spirit.

• Like Like x 1