1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Spurgeon that some know nothing about

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Jun 30, 2015.

1. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another consistent Calvinist sermon. I have no idea why you think I, Iconoclast, or any other Calvinist would take humberage with what CHS preached. :confused:

You do not understand CHS and his sermons it appears.

2. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    DHK and his strange obsession with Calvinists who enjoy Spurgeon is quickly becoming one of my favorite reads on the board.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some people act like a moth drawn to a flame. DHK is like that when it comes to Spurgeon and Calvinism. He cannot help himself.

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In this sermon CHS uses this passage to illustrate the decline among the churches in his day. The decline was brought about by false teachers who denied the doctrines of grace.

[QUOTE]The clearness of the testimony is spoiled when doubtful voices are scattered among the people, and those who ought to preach the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, are telling out for doctrines the imaginations of men, and the inventions of the age. Instead of revelation, we have philosophy, falsely so-called; instead of divine infallibility, we have surmises and larger hopes. The gospel of Jesus Christ, which is the same yesterday, to-day, and for ever, is taught as the production of progress, a growth, a thing to be amended and corrected year by year. It is an ill day, both for the church and the world, when the trumpet does not give a certain sound; for who shall prepare himself for the battle?[/QUOTE]

People were wrongly using rev3:20 and denying the Covenant death of our Lord.

Now while taking a stand for the doctrines of grace and God's covenant dealings with his church he addresses those who are yet unsaved......

#45 Iconoclast, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2015
  6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is the next sermon I opened up ....having a late brunch...lol....enjoy

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The next sermon I viewed at my late breakfast / brunch...was this fine sermon in which CHS quotes from the same confession of faith that I post from all the time.
    He believed that same truths then, that RB's believe today...DHK

http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0041.htm

Here...I think CHS wrote this for you DHK as you have recently said these same things about the Cals here;
    And now CHS demonstrates that God has elected out the Children ....

#47 Iconoclast, Jul 3, 2015
  8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    pt2............

#48 Iconoclast, Jul 3, 2015
  9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0123.htm

A man over there says he is elect. He gets drunk. Ay, you are elect by the devil, sir; that is about your only election.

Another man says, "Blessed be God, I don't care about evidences a bit; I am not so legal as you are!" No, I dare say you are not; but you have no great reason to bless God about it, for, my dear friend, unless you have these evidences of a new birth take heed to yourself. "God is not mocked: whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."

"Well," says another, "but I think that doctrine of election a very licentious doctrine." Think on as long as you please; but please to bear me witness that as I have preached it to-day there is nothing licentious about it. Very likely you are licentious, and you would make the doctrine licentious, if you believed it; but "to the pure all things are pure." He who receiveth God's truth in his heart doth not often pervert it and turn aside from it unto wicked ways.
    \

No man, let me repeat, has any right to believe himself called, unless his life be in the main consistent with his vocation, and he walk worthy of that whereunto he is called. Out upon an election that lets you live in sin! Away with it! away with it! That was never the design of God's Word; and it never was the doctrine of Calvinists either.

Though we have been lied against and our teachings perverted, we have always stood by this—that good works, though they do not procure nor in any degree merit salvation, yet are the necessary evidences of salvation; and unless they be in men the soul is still dead, uncalled and unrenewed.

The nearer you live to Christ, the more you imitate him, the more your life is conformed to him, and the more simply you hang upon him by faith, the more certain you may be of your election in Christ and of your calling by his Holy Spirit. May the Holy One of Israel give you the sweet assurance of grace, by affording you "tokens for good" in the graces which he enables you to manifest.

#49 Iconoclast, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2015