1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Talents

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Matt 25 Jesus gives the parable of the 10,5 and 1 talents.

The men who were given the 5 & 2 talents were able to double their talents.

However, the man who received only one, hid it as to not loose it. The master said "Thou wicked and slothful servant,"

Suppose he did try to invest it, but lost the talent.

Here is the question, would the master still call him wicked and slothful? Would he commend him for trying? or what.

Thoughts?

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Salty your question has nothing to do with the parable. Any answer changes the intent of what it is trying to teach.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty, I have often pondered this question and have no answer. I do wish this situation had been addressed.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

It is not addressed because it has nothing what so ever to do with the teaching.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I think this passage refers to "slothfulness". If God gives you a talent, such as singing for instance. Now, if you don't participate in singing in church, this gift/talent could be taken away. This is what stuck out at me. God hates slothful servents.

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

He wouldn't have lost it.

"So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase."

7. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

The point is to be faithful in what God has given us. The 3rd servant wasn't faithful. He hid the money and did nothing.(The parable used money as an example but it could be anything the Lord gives you.) The others used it. He was not faithful with what the Lord had given him.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Very well stated!!

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No the passage is not talking about talents. Remember it is a parable not an analogy. It is talking about light and how we act on it and all that goes with it. The more light the more we are expected to act on it. The one with one talent had enough light to at least bring themselves to the place of salvation and point one more in that direction, but they did not even come themself so they are condemned. Every man has enough light to come, but many will not act on the light they have rather burying or ignoring that light for the cares of this world.

#9 freeatlast, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2011
  10. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. Not even close.

The very word "talent" is a unit of money. The parable talks about "money," "possessions," "investment," etc.

The entire passage is part of a four-parable unit illustrating proper stewardship in preparing for His coming.

It says nothing about "light and how we act on it." Ironically, though you claim the parable isn't an analogy, you are making it one and breaking the rules of context and forcing a meaning on this text it was never intended to convey.

The Archangel

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're only partially correct, Free. The parable also addresses our sharing of that "light"; i.e., your comment about "acting on it."

Sunday morning, the pastor preaches; but no one goes forward, no one makes a profession, no one "gets saved"; these are examples of investing the talent but not necessarily seeing a return. The answer to Salty's question is that God will work that to His purpose, in His way, in His time.

The one who receives the word, but never shares it; as Archangel put it, is the example of improper stewardship.

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

I believe this parable is speaking of both personal salvation, and spreading the gospel. It is very similar to the parable of the sower.

Matt 25:14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.

The man is Jesus. The far country is when he rises from the dead and ascends to heaven, he will return some day. His "goods" is the word of God, but especially the gospel.

15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.

Note that the Lord already knew each man's ability. This is foreknowledge. He gave to each servant according to how receptive he was to the word of God (revelation, power to witness...).

16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.

This is a man of great faith, he goes out and preaches the gospel and wins many to Christ.

17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.

This man also has faith, goes out and wins people to Christ.

18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.

This man has no faith, he does nothing with the gospel. He even hid it from himself.

19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.

The Lord returns as he promised. Now there is a judgment of those who were entrusted with the gospel.

20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
    21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

This is the man of great faith who believed God's word and preached the gospel. He won many to Christ and will be rewarded. He will rule over many during the millennial kingdom.

22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
    23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

This man also believed and preached the gospel. He will also be rewarded and rule over many.

24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
    25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.

This man did not think well of God, he thought God hard and unjust. He did not believe. He hid the gospel, not just from the world, but from himself as well.

26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
    27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.

This man has no excuse, he knew of God (Rom 1). He should have at least believed the gospel himself and been saved.

28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.

To those who receive and believe the word of God, more revelation/power/rewards will be given.

29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.

Again, to those who believe, more will be revealed and rewarded. To those who believe not, even that which was given them shall be taken away. They shall be blinded, because they loved not the truth.

30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

The evil servant who did not believe will be cast in the lake of fire.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

It has nothing to do with what some pastor does on Sunday morning.