1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Temple in Ezekiel

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Marooncat79, May 18, 2022.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that no human souls are in heaven right now, but are in sheol/hades, either in its 'paradise' area, or in its 'torments' area. The lake of fire is uninhabited now.

And I agree that Enoch was translated into paradise.

As for Elijah, he was merely taken to another part of Israel, as proven by 2 Chron. 21:12.

And we know Moses died. By the time the events of Luke 9 occurred, Elijah had been dead a long time. Both were called temporarily from paradise for a purpose. (Now, how the disciples knew who they were, as no pics existed of either, I don't know!)

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Jews are planning to build a new temple in Jerusalem soon. Thry've gathered all the building materials, made the instruments to be used in temple rites, consecrated an altar to be used for sacrifices in that temple, & are breeding the animals, such as red heifers, to be used in temple rites.

Some Hebrew University profs have determined that the timple site is NOT where the Dome of the Rock now sits, but is beside the Dome, so the Dome doesn'y hafta be destroyed before a new temple can be built. The Jews are waiting for when Islam can tolerate a Jewish temple being built beside their 2nd-holiest site. Maybe the coming beast/antichrist will broker a deal allowing this event to occur.

This temple is necessary for the abomination of desolation to occur in, and it may be the temple shown to Ezekiel. God may purify it after Jesus returns & ends "Judaism" when He takes over rule of the world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I actually believe that Christ liberated the Just from Sheol/Hades while His Body lay in the tomb. And that now we go to be with the Lord in Heaven when we die (2 Corinthians 5:1-8).

However, the term "paradise," though used at least once specifically to speak of Heaven (God's Realm), was also a term for the Just compartment of Sheol/Hades (in Jewish custom), or so I have read. Christ told the thief on his own cross that he would be with Christ in paradise that day. I believe the thief did end up in the Just side of Sheol/Hades that day.

I also take the position that Sheol/Hades is still divided, and that it is possible that there will be those who, not having heard the Gospel, will stand before God to be judged at the Great White Throne Judgment, and be given the chance to respond to the Gospel. That is not a popular notion, as it suggests more than one way to Heaven. But I base that on my own view that, if God can show mercy to all Old Testament Saints who did not hear the Revelation of the Gospel Mystery yet were "saved" due to temporal justification (and this because they were obedient to the revelation they received), why would He end that grace and mercy?

This is why I think the books (plural) are opened at that judgment.

I'd be curious to hear @George Antonios thoughts on the matter.

That's what I think happened. He went to the Just compartment of the place of the dead, Sheol.

I view that "he did not see death" to refer to his immediate translation, as opposed to seeing/experiencing death as all do (that we know of, lol, it may be God has done this with others, we simply have not been made aware of those cases in Scripture).

I agree. He was caught up to the heavens (sky), not Heaven.

Now @George Antonios presents a pretty good basis for his reasoning, as opposed to the view that the Two Witnesses are Enoch and Elijah because "they didn't die:"

Malachi 4:4-6 King James Version

4 Remember ye the law of Moses my servant, which I commanded unto him in Horeb for all Israel, with the statutes and judgments.

5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:

6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

He makes the point (in his video) that this is the last Prophecy given (before the Intertestamental Period), and both Moses and Elijah are mentioned. While Moses is not specifically said to be sent, I find it reasonable to see a potential literal fulfillment of this Prophecy concerning Elijah.

John the Baptist is said by Christ to fulfill the prophecy:

Matthew 11:11-15 King James Version

11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.

14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.

15 He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

But one thing we keep in mind is that partial fulfillment happens, and doesn't necessarily rule out a literal fulfillment.

Elijah may very well come literally, I won't rule that out, and as one of the Two Witnesses makes sense.

I would highly recommend the video George presented. I thought it was very good. I am going to watch the other one once I get the chance.

God bless.