1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Test(s) of Fellowship

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Paul from Antioch, May 11, 2021.

1. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard this term used down through my 55+ years as a Baptist, but I've never really seen actually are ]THE Tests of Fellowship clearly defined so as to determine what precisely they are among ALL saved people, nor what precisely they aren't. Is there such a definitive list of these "TESTS"?? OTOH, is this phrase merely subject to one's "private interpretation(s)? If it's the latter, are they some collection(s) of dogmas passed down throughout ALL generations since the NT have ceased? (See Rev. 22:18-19.) I've heard some Baptists dogmatically state that, e.g., THE KJVO came down right along side of Rev 22!!! and, OTOH the next speaker said that last speaker is full of ......!! I've understood that if a doctrine "Comes from the HS, "END of DIScussION!!!" etc., & I'm sure that most BB'ers probably have as well. SO....."Is we IS, or IS we AIN'T" Christ-honoring comments ARE welcomed, but anything else.....I'll leave up to our BB Aministrators. :Ninja:Ninja:Ninja:Devilish:Devilish:Devilish:eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

#1 Paul from Antioch, May 11, 2021
    Last edited: May 11, 2021
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Test of Faith

I would say the answer is similar to that of a contract - "A meeting of the minds"

For example - You might agree with Pastor Jones that you do not believe in selling things in the church.
    Now Pastor Jones agrees with you BUT you had a Mother- Daughter dinner at church and charged each
    person $5 for the catered meal. To him - that was "selling" something.
    And then Pastor Smith will not fellowship with Pastor Jones because he even considered fellowshiping
    with you because you charge for a meeting at your church.

Or it could be like our fellowship of pastors in our city. Currently we have two Baptist, (1 ABC & 1 SBC) and 4 Pentecostals.
    We mainly meet for prayer once a month - we dont worry that much about doctrines we disagree - ie speaking in tounges - eternal security, ect.
    Rather we are more concerned about reaching our City for Christ - with the gospel.
    Also we agree that we do not want to fellowship with the ecumenical group of pastors.

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my mind, a test of fellowship requires discernment into what is essential doctrine. I understand that is not as easy as it sounds.

Most essential doctrines center around the person and work of Jesus. His eternal existence and nature as God is essential. Salvation by grace, not works. Inspiration and authority of scripture.

I believe in Christian liberty and everyone being convinced in their own mind.

Beyond that, I suppose I would just have to hear a person out and then decide.

peace to you

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely correct BUT what one person considers essential - another may not.

5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. Discernment must be a gift of God. May we all be granted abundance of discernment.

peace to you

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    agreed, but as long as the other person has the trinity, Jesus died on the Cross for sin atonement, and was raised again, is my brother or sister!

7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many Christian forums use the Nicene Creed.

I am against it, even though I am a Trinitarian, believe in the full deity and full humanity and Eternal Sonship of our Lord Jesus Christ. I do not agree with some key parts of that Creed as it is unBiblical I would not be considered an orthodox Christian by that Creed.

8. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure who was that wrote the following, but IMHO, I think this is the right way to view matters: "In ESSENTIALS (The Trinity, Salvation by Grace, etc.) UNITY, in NON-ESSTENTIALs DIVERSITY, and in ALL THINGS, HUMILITY."

• Like Like x 1
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a great saying - BUT different groups see different Essentials.
    For example as a Baptist - we do not believe that Baptism is necessary for salvation
    But the Church of Christ does - thus Baptism is an essential.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're not suggesting that a Baptist church should seek to have a pastor who is a staunchly C of C are you?
    And here's another issue that seemed to be a very divisive one back in the last century: Secondary separation: i.e., a church that had a neo-evangelical head pastor should not only be "disfellowshipped" by all other churches, but should be publicly "Called out" by other churches. I've been told that essentially this was the position of Bob Jones University back then. It appears that BJU no longer adheres to such a policy, but did so back in the 1950s - 1960s. I'd like to read what you BB'ers think about such a stanch as this.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course NOT!

What I am saying is that a Baptist may not fellowship with a COC because they believe that Baptism is essential to salvation
    and that a COC may not fellowship with a Baptist because we dd not consider baptism as essential to salvation.

12. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just asking, but can one err to genuinely believe Baptism IS essential to salvation? IMHO, one cannot genuinely believe such and still be saved. 'What sayeth thee/'

13. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    CoC uses Acts 2:38 - Repent and be Baptized is the verse they claim that baptism is essential to be saved.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a handful of essentials. For example, one must profess the Braves as God's team, and obviously the Yankees as heretics. Other than that, I'd say a basic confession of faith (for fellowship), an adherence to the local church beliefs for guest preaching, etc.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and dont forget - there must be a dinner on the grounds no less than quarterly -, Never allow a Methodist to preach in your church,
    Never let the message go past noon - as the wives have their stoves set for 1230, Evening services must not start before 730 pm, during NFL season, and most important - arrive early for a good back pew.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recall reading somewhere back in the last century this saying that, IMHO, pretty much outlines my particular reasoning about these so-called "Tests": In essentials, UNITY, in non-essentials, DIVERSITY, AND IN ALL THING, HUMILITY."...... OTOH, we still have to determine what both the "Essentials" & what one should consider the "Non-Essentials" In my 55+ years in God's family, I've come across some folks who rather adamentally proclaim that, "EVERYTHING that I consider ESSENTIAL is what I (#1) I determine & NOT anyone else. I ALONE have infinite & immutable wisdom, & you don't..so there!!" (OTOH, this kind of , shall we say, somewhat less than `110+% HUMBLE," always seem to be THE one who, most of the time, unsolicitly mind you) takes over EVERY single conversation we're having to DEMAND that he/she is judge, jury & executioner of ALL "Friendly" dialogues, and then proceed with vigor & enthusiasm to proclaim that his/her version of 'THE truth(s)" are & anyone who even as much dares to even think about thinking about ANY other concept is THEREFORE a her(him ?0 atic & thus must be taken before the firing squad for them to do their duty (as I'VE directed them to do, post haste & HENCE the end of any & ALL FURTHER disCUSSion(s)!! ..... Have ant of you folks ever come across these self-appointed know-it-alls?

18. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn’t declare someone unsaved over the issue of baptism. Paul gives what is of “first importance” in 1 Cor 15.

These are “Jesus died for our sins according to the scriptures”. Jesus was “buried and raised from the dead, according to the scripture”. And Jesus was “seen by more than 500 people” after the resurrection.

The phrase “according to the scriptures” includes all reference in OT to the coming Messiah.

We all go through a process of maturing in our faith, which includes a better understanding of doctrine.

I believe Holy Spirit guides believers into all truth. If we were given all the answers immediately at salvation, there would be no need for guidance.

peace to you

19. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist

20. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've always heard that saying with "liberty" in place of "diversity" and "charity" (in the 1 Cor 13 sense) in place of "humility". I think liberty is the better choice of words but may switch to humility, as that is so scripturally important.