1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Tomb Issue: Bock Responds

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Martin, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    New Testament scholar and professor at Dallas Theological Seminary Dr Darrell Bock has responded to the hysteria over the "tomb of Jesus" claims.

His first response came on Monday and you can find it here.

However it is what he said today that I am so glad to see.

"Christians do not need to get so worked up about this. Several of the responders from the Christian side come across as too nervous about all of this, almost yelling in response to the calm presenters of this Discovery special. Part of this is because they have not yet seen the show and are having to respond to reports, sort of shooting in the dark. I have seen the show and the argument is full of problems that can patiently be set out for others."- SOURCE

I was thinking this last night as I watch Dr Mohler on Larry King. He seemed very nervous and just a bit too edgy. As one who has spent a lot of time studying the historical Jesus and New Testament history, though not as much as Dr Bock, I don't see what all the panic is about. This is not the tomb of Jesus. Worse yet this is not even a serious scholarly argument. This is media hype that is all about selling one group's theory, a tv show on the Discovery Channel, and a book. As Dr Bock points out many of their arguments suffer from major flaws. What Christians need to do is sit back, take a deep breath, gather the facts, pick up the pin or microphone, and cut this theory to shreds in a calm, assertive way. If we look like we are in a panic then we are sending the wrong message to the world.

2. Karen

Karen Active Member

Good post and points. But I doubt that Dr. Mohler was nervous and edgy because of the issue. If he seemed not up to par keep in mind that he almost died at the end of December from a sudden condition and is still recuperating.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yes "we" are aware of that. However I am concerned about those out there who are not.

If he is not fully back on his game then maybe he should have directed Larry King to Darrell Bock, Ben Witherington, or NT Wright?