1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Transforming Power of Christ!

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Su Wei, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

THis thread is for personal testimonies of those who have decided in some point of their lives to turn away from worldly music and turn to godly music like hymns. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Give GOd the Glory! [​IMG]

2. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I shall start the ball rolling!

My childhood influences in music was primarily from my dad. He's a musician. Guitar is his favourite instrument. He used to play for the British troops when he was a teenager. He owns a Fender stratacaster (?) .

Though born in the mid 70s, I was brought up on Everly Brothers, Elvis and The Beetles.

I received the Lord Jesus at the age of 13 at a New Evangelical church. My life was no different from my friends in school other than the fact that i went to church on Sundays. i even served as a pianist for the youth service. (bass and rhythm guitars, drums, organ.)

The church never preached Separation. Never knew such a thing existed even. Afterall, i was going to Hard Rock Cafe on Saturday nights with my church friends!

Well, by the time i was 17, 18, i was in trouble with the world. Saved but miserable. My multiple pierced ears are a legacy of those tumultous times.

Then my sister started attending a Baptist church. She came home telling me about what she'd learnt about the KJV issue, alchol abstinence, and dressing.... I warned her that she might be going to a cultic church! :eek:
    (Afterall, the pastor was American.... :rolleyes: ) (The kind who says Mondee, Toosdee, Wensdee... )

Battling bulimia, I finally joined her in one of the meetings, i saw a group of Christians that was different from the kind i had known all my christian life. They minded holiness, and were genuine.

The church building was a rented place that looked a far cry from my previous church. THe place looked like the roof was about to collapse, whereas in the previous church, they had just built a spanking 4 storey extension with air-conditioning and big TV monitors in every room.

But yet, i was drawn by the sincerity and faithfulness of the people.
    The preaching was different. Preaching that taught that there are snares of the Devil that we are to avoid, for example.
    The music was hymns only. I remember the first worship i attended, i was screaming in my head "ANOTHER VERSE???!?!?" [​IMG] Now i know, it was my flesh that hated it.

It took me about 2 years after i got re-baptised into the Baptist church that i decided to throw away my CD collection. My U2 stuff among others. Actually i was moving house and decided not to bring that with me and start on a clean slate.
    That hurt! But i did it for the Lord. And He has blessed me much! [​IMG]

There were times of backsliding. Especially when i went to university and stayed away from home. I noticed that my return to worldly music always coincided with my spiritual backsliding.

Music is like a drug and there are still tunes i hear when i'm shopping that stir up those old yearnings. But now that God has given me a wonderful, loving and godly husband, to whom i'm accountable, and two beautiful babies to raise in the fear and admonition of the Lord, i'm too afraid to go back down that path anymore. [​IMG]

Now, i have commited to memory many verses of hymns (i dare say more than a hundred). And play the cello in the church orchestra. Thank God He can still use me! [​IMG]

(Hope others will share their testimonies! I would love to know what the Lord has done for you! [​IMG] )

3. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

praise god! what a beautiful testimony [​IMG]

4. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

I can still recall many of the top songs of the late '50's and early '60's. I had two older sisters whose lives were filled with the hottest songs of the day. Morning and night they had their radio on, or the albums playing. After they left home, I never had much interest in the radio, or the albums.

In 6th grade, I joined the school band, learned to play the clarinet. My intro to types of music began, and I prefered to play livlier music. In high school, my freinds and I loved classical and some contempory. I started listening to music when I had to design an album cover for art. Somebody told me to listen to Yellow Brick Road by Elton John. I started listening to pop, country, and other hits.

After high school, my college friends introduced me to rock and drugs, and alcohol. I went to many concerts and gained the look of the drug crowd. I smoked marijuana heavily, turned to more potent drugs, like hash and coke, mushrooms, and such. I dropped out of college, got married and lived a pretty rough life. My eyes showed my abuse, and my music was by my side. They went hand in hand.

I later started a search for meaning, couldn't find it my own way, and tried to straighten up. The Lord then came into my life by placing people in my path, christians. I was saved in 1986, and realized I didn't need drugs and alcohol anymore. But I wanted to keep the music.

As I began to read my Bible and pray daily. I threw out all my albums, 8-tract tapes, and all the music I had associated with my past. Hymnals became a part of my daily life. I wanted to learn all the hymns, to sing them by heart. I put them into my heart. But the church I was going to had encouraged CCM. Too much of it reminded me of my past. I was not comfortable with the radio stations they had recommended. A brother in Christ told me of a more conservative station to listen too, labeled as an "old foagie" station by my church.

I was about to leave that church when the pastor announced he was leaving to go to another church. The new pastor that came in was very conservative, changing the New Evangelical church I was a member of into a very conservative IFB church.

Since then, we have moved twice, but the Lord gave us good churches, both with good standards in their music.I was taught more thoroghly about the biblical standards of music about five years after I had known there was something right in hymns that was missing in CCM. I am thankful to the Lord for giving me a heart to please him.

5. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Su Wei,

Thanks for your testimony. I could almost say "DITTO." The only thing that is different is, I was saved in June 1981 at Antioch Baptist Church, Norma, TN., 10 years old was I. In highschool I got with the wrong crowd(to be cool uno) I fell by the way, but the Lord was gracious enough to pick me up again 3 1/2 years ago.

I also destroyed all of my worldly tapes and CDs. Not only did I do it for the Lord and myself, but for my wife and kids sake. I didn't want them listening to that trash.

God bless [​IMG]

6. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know what i'm talking about! ;)
    And God bless you too! [​IMG]

7. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

I'll find some time this weekend to post my testimony and how CCM has influenced me. Later,

`JD

[ March 14, 2003, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: JonathanDT ]

8. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

As a non-Christian, I was basically a "good" kid, and grew up on Stevie Wonder's "Talking Book" (with the songs Superstition and You are the Sunshine), and various '45's, the Beeatles Abbey Road, Marvin Gay'e "what's Going On", The Stylistics, the OJays and other stuff like that, and soft rock, pop and folk on the radio. Plus I always heard my father rehearsing his jazz radio program, often for hours. So I grew up with a rich diversity of music, and could enjoy classical as well when I heard it, but of course the hymns in a Baptist church my grandmother took me to, plus the old stadards practiced in grammar school to just a piano seemed dry compared with all that. Then the disco era began, and I, who was fairly naive wasn't even taught what sex was, and didn't recognize the sexual references. (I guess growing up on something like Abbey Road, words in a song don't really have to mean anything relevant). I did have a problem with the moaning of Donna Summers and Diana Ross (who I developed my first crush on) on their big hits in 1976 (even though I didn't know what that sound was!) And of course I was totally unaware of the behind the scenes action of Studio 54 and all the other vices behind the disco lifestyle.
    So most of that music, with the exceptions I mentioned, just reminded me of the innocence of childhood. Then came rap. I liked it, as it originally was mainly blacks from the ghetto voicing the realities of their lives. This was called "message" rap. There was "party" oriented songs (as well as in disco), but I didn't think of "partying" as sinful in itself, even though I did avoid them because of fear of tough people, and being pushed with drugs, alcohol and fast women. Then, when Run DMC came out with "sucker MC's, it all became what was called "ego", rapping about how good you are compared to others, with an agressive attitude. I hated this, and could see how it would lead to violence at the concerts, which this and other acts came to be plaged by. They would blame "individuals", but clearly the message they were now preaching would easily fire up kids already conditioned to be quick to fight and "dis" others. At the same time as materialism (gold, etc) that people even get killed over. From there it started going downhill, with more and more agrsssion, leading eventually into "cop killer" rap, then gangsta, disrespect of women, and of course, more raunchy sensuality.
    As I grew up, music started to get much racier. I remembered being amused by Vanity 6's "Nasty Girls" (Vanity, BTW, later became a Christian, completely renouncing her past, but I don't know if she is traditional only. If so, it would be understandable after the stuff she used to sing. But praise God someonle like that in the circle of one of the most sensual artists ever— Prince, could be delivered).
    In college, even though I wanted sex without marriage (and hated the Christians for preaching against it, along with evolution and the political agendas), I still though they were going overboard with almost every R&B song in the mid 80's being someone begging someone to sleep with them, and even songs celebrating affairs. Even Stevie got into the act with "Part Time Lover". (which I didn't care for musically, and wondered how he and others could release such stuff even as AIDS was starting to burst out all over). Perhaps I was jealous of having noone, but still I thought it strnage that the same people who always "thanked God" on the back of their albums or "at the Grammy's" (as the Christian rappers The Cross Movement pointed out) would be so into illicit sex.
    Shortly after that, I became Christian, but had nowhere to fellowship, as I was torn between Armstrongism, Adventism and orthodox evangelicalism. (none of them seemed completely right, but I kept reading their arguments and weighing them).
    I didn't really change my listening habits, as I had not heard a good enough argument to. I had run across rock critics such as Godwin, but what they said seemed just ignorant and almost racist, regarding how the beat is no good because it is from Africa, and only traditional Western music is good. I didn't particularly care for much I heard on the radio anyway, but only listened for stuff I did like (particularly any new Stevie Wonder releases).
    Eventually I found evangelical churches to fellowship with, and as I grew in the Lord, I began slowly moving away from a lot of the stuff on the radio. About 6 years ago, as I began entering this music debate by writing various ministries and even attending a fundamentalist music class, I became more convicted, and even stopped listening to my Earth Wind & Fire collection. I began getting into them around the time I was becomeing Christian. They had gotten back together with the "Touch the World" album, and had seemingly become Christian. Then rumors began floating around about Stevie Wonder being born again. Both had been eclectic before, with a mix of religious concepts surfacing in songs and album art. But both were recognixed as being leaders in producing good music. Even BJU rock critic Richard Peck mentions Stevie as producing great melodies. They are a standard of good R&B, and I can certainly agree that a lot of the pop of today (including that copied by CCM) is shallow at best. But at EWF's latest album, (where they finally went back to the old 70's "sound" fans missed so much) they went back to the pagan symbols (a giant Egyptian Ankh all over the album. My wife didn't like it, and she referred me back to Carman's then recent statement on the 700 Club that the're a "spirit behind the music", which is not the sound, but simply the spirit it was created under— whether God or Satan. This is what led me to finally stop listening to them, as much as I loved them (only second to Stevie). And I came to learn more about some of the disco and rock from the past.
    But it further showed that this focus on the sound as creating the bad spirit is wrong. Traditional sounding stuff too could be produced in a bad spirit. If you really think about New Age, it has more of the characteristics of traitional music (is not "beat heavy", and probably does not have as much syncopation as pop).
    So now I basically do not listen to secular radio or watch secular videos at all (they have gotten rally bad now), but only see/hear them in passing at work or in the street (keeping me informed of where the culture is at).
    But I still challenge the traditional only position, because once again, that is the wrong issue in determining the good or evil of music.
    Cont'd...

[ March 15, 2003, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Eric B ]

9. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

wow, thanks olivebranch and ericb. i have a hard time "debating" this really well becuase a lot of it has to do with feelings of what is right/wrong. it's not like i heard a perfect airlight logical argument one day and then responded because i had to. it's really nice hearing other's experiences. [​IMG]

[ March 14, 2003, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: timothy 1969 ]

10. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I had to run and couldn't finish the thought (and the post was long enough anyway)

So continuing...
    I learned to separate different aspects of the sound from the evil messages. In many songs, the sound does go together with the lust being sung about, but this is a wide combination of sounds. Pop is multi layered, with not only a beat, bass, and vocals, but also many other intruments layered together. Some of these can create what I would definitely admit is a "sensuous sound" (think of "slow jams", which couples use to 'get into the mood"), but the critics are focusing on a backbeat and syncopation, and the "sensuous sound" is so much more than just those two things. That rules out way too much that is not sensuous, (in order to leave only classical/traditional by default) so people ignore them and brush aside all the warning concluding that music must really be neutral. But what is needed is balance, not all or nothing extremes.
    That assumes that the "Spirit" necessarily advocated long multi-versed songs. Sometimes we can get into a purely cerebral faith that actually quenches the Spirit (it all becomes some formula with spirituality judged on how much discomfort we can work up). Many of those old songs are now being pointed out as just as shallow, and actually setting the stage for much of CCM! It's a shame that American missionaries are going over there preaching Western Culturism instead of the plain culturally neutral Gospel for all people.
    Well, once again, this is from your negative association with the music, and as I elaborated, there is a lot of bad stuff. But many of those hymns are done in a style that was once the secular sound often used in barrooms here centuries ago. (the out of tune uprights they are often played on in may churches creates almost a "honky tonk" sound that would have fit right in an old saloon.) So when they were first brought into the church, people then had the same problems. So that too is not unique to modern styles.

11. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks JD and i am looking forward to reading about it. However, i would really appreciate if you could start another thread? Coz i really would like for this one to stick to the premises set in the first post. THanks. [​IMG]

12. er1001

er1001 New Member

[​IMG]
    Hi Su Wei,I have enjoyed yours and all the above testimonies,and though we're many miles apart it seems testimonies like these are the norm where ever those who really love God abide.
    In 1982 I too wondered into a fundamental church and joined after the initial shock had worn off!!!!!!!!As God began to work in my heart as a result of studying God's word and lots of good preaching,out went the TV,worldly books,no more movies,pants came off my wife and our music became only traditional.We sent two daughters to this sort of Bible school were as far to the right as we could get.
    However I soon found myself on the back of those who were maybe on the way up and sometimes not as Godly as I thought I was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Then came the desire to sing for God and even ,dare I say,to start writing some worship down on paper.In the last 14 yrs my family has been apart of several singing groups representing our church and of late singing the material God has given us.We stress the Cross,the Blood,redemption,heaven and holy living.
    Probably if the Lord tarries a hundred years or so some might be added to fundamental hymnals.
    My brother has written a song called "only God knows". Here are a couple of lines,Only God knows the test I've had,Only God knows if i've failed or passed,only God knows.
    If I've learned anything since I trusted Christ in 1971, is to be patient with God's people as they grow in Christ. Remember ONLY GOD KNOWS ER
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, ER! Amens all round. [​IMG]
    (I hope your wife has a skirt on. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The law of replacement, amen? [​IMG] )

14. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

If you didn't want people like Jonathan or Mike or me to post our testimonies here you should be more specific, because none of us considers the music we listen to "worldly", and we all enjoy Godly music like hymns among many other various styles of Godly music.

15. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

Travelsong,

Must you seek to start an argument at every opportunity.

Take Su Wei's advice and start a new thread.

Since Su Wei made the original post I think it is obvious that we are dealing with HER definition of what is worldly and I'm sure that you are aware of her feelings given her postings on previous threads.

16. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

Thanks JD and i am looking forward to reading about it. However, i would really appreciate if you could start another thread? Coz i really would like for this one to stick to the premises set in the first post. THanks. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Ahh. As TravelSong said, I would be abiding by the definition you set in the original post. But that's cool though, I don't mind,. I'm actually grateful for this thread, now I understand where you all are coming from. I've never been under the influence of KJVO, so reading the stuff in this thread is fascinating/astounding/shocking. Later,
    `JD

17. er1001

er1001 New Member

:confused: :confused:
    Come on you guys why not stop the scrapping and give your brother liberty.I'm new to this board,only a couple of months,and look forward to this music chat!!!!!!!!
    As I said above,its mostly what I do for God.I'm song leader in our church and my family sings where ever oportunity presents itself.Its seems to me a long standing dispute is causing havic,too bad.
    I believe strongly in the local church which Jesus died for and believe each work of God has the right to set rules and guide lines for its members and they alone.Why not find what each has in common and dwell there.when differences in opinion arise and you feel that the other is maybe falling away,pray for thwm and see God move.
    A short time ago a disagreement arose between me and a brother in my church and I was close to breaking fellowship.We were singing on the road and I ran it by a friend who I considered spiritual and she said don't do it go back and just pray for them and see what happens.I did and all is well.
    There I go sticking my nose in again,typical baptist "A" [​IMG] have a good day in the LORD ER

18. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And JD gets the point why i'm starting this thread and hoping to stick to it with the testimonies of people like myself and OliveB! For that i am grateful. [​IMG]

And thank the others for their testimonies too. [​IMG]