1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Translators intent??

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Pastor_Bob, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

Is this what the Translators, which are oft quoted here as approving of later versions, had in mind when they said, "Indeed, without translation into the vulgar tongue the unlearned are but like children at Jacob's well without a bucket or some thing to draw with..?"

[​IMG]

#1 Pastor_Bob, Mar 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2008
  2. queenbee

queenbee Member

I must be missing something here. That Christian magazines are automatically vulgar? That Christian magazines geared towards young people automatically put them in danger of going off the straight and narrow? What's your point?

3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Pastor Bob, please don't think that I misunderstand your point here. I realize that some folks are offended by unexpected Bible configurations. But in fact, formats of the scriptures such as these may cause some folks to think: What exactly constitutes a 'Bible'?

Depends upon how groups and individuals define 'Bible'. I can tell you that people view the concept in a multitude of ways. Is it wrong to call the Hebrew holy scriptures (Tanakh) a 'Bible'? Do the Greek Orthodox not have the 'Bible'? When the early Christians only had the writings of Paul, did they have a 'Bible'? When the Syrian Church didn't have 2 Peter, 2 & 3 John, and Revelation in their scriptures (Peshitta), did they not have a 'Bible'?

What makes a book a 'Bible'? Is it the black leather cover? Is it the concordance and maps located in the back? Can a 'genuine' Bible have pictures in it? What are the traits of a true 'Bible'? Just as importantly, what are the characteristics of a false 'Bible'?

#3 franklinmonroe, Mar 14, 2008
  4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Franklin, great observatoins, followed by great questions.

These marketing approaches are not new to the Bible. We just need to go back before these MVs and we'll see. :thumbs:

5. standingfirminChrist

God's Word says 'Wherefore, come out from amongst them and touch not the unclean thing and I will receive you, saith the Lord.'

Revolve endeavors to bring the world into the Bible with their magazine... completely ignoring the command to 'come out from amongst them.'

What are the readers of this magazine gleaning? They cannot have their minds fully on the Word, when just across the page their eyes catch sight of the world.

Eutychus sat in a window listening to the preaching, but looking at the world. Eutychus fell headlong out that window in which he felt he was secure and broke his neck.

This is what is sure to happen to those who rely on Revolve to be their method of learning of God. The world will entice and lure them for a fall.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

You offer nothing in your post to support your claim other than conjecture and personal opinion.

7. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, you do not have an understanding of the term "vulgar" as it is used by the KJV Translators. Second, this is not a "Christian magazine." These are both complete New Testaments and marketed as "bibles."

8. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    To continually keep the Word of God "on the bottom shelf" has become, in many ways, a ridiculous endeavor. How far down must we go to make sure all men understand the Bible? Is it not more beneficial to educate the people to the higher standards of the Bible? Are we really helping these young people by dumbing down the Bible into their street language? Are we sending the right message by bundling God's Word in a worldly package?

9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Very poor illustration. Talk about misuse of the Bible. Eutychus simply fell asleep. Paul had been preaching and teaching for a long long time. The scripture doesn't condemn Eutychus for this. It doesn't say he was "looking at the world." You are adding to the scripture your own personal slant.

10. standingfirminChrist

Whaley, the author of Revolve, calls it a Biblezine. She asked girls what they read if not the Bible. Their answer was "magazines". Magazines such as Vogue, YM, Seventeen, Cosmopolotin (all worldly magazines) were what teens read, so Whaley used the types of articles that grabbed attention in these magazines to publish her Revolve Biblezine.

So Whaley came up with an idea to bring the world into the Word by making the Word in magazine format.

Sadly, she is deceiving many and being deceived her own self into believing that God is pleased with such junk as she is selling under the name of "Bible."

#10 standingfirminChrist, Mar 14, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

It's good to know that you have acknowledged the NCV, a MV, as the Word of God. :thumbs:

12. Salamander

Salamander New Member

:laugh: He gave you the word of God and that is all you can say?:laugh:

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Simply quoting a Scripture does not a good argument make. I could post, "Jesus Wept" as a response to this thread...but that doesn't mean that I've offered a proper context, relevant arguments, or correct interpretation.

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

he made a great application using that illustration of precisely what is going on in "today's church".

The world demands to be let in the church, then they demand their ways be accepted and eventually the church is no longer a sanctuary, but a place to meet and have "good time".

Having one's head in the sand for ANY LENGTH OF TIME IS CERTAIN TO FAIL TO SEE WHAT IS GOING ON WHILE IT'S IN THE SAND.

(DIDN'T MEAN TO "YELL" JUST DIDN'T FEEL LIKE RE-TYPING AFTER ACCIDNETALLY HITTING TH CAPS LOCK.):praying:

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Actually if you did quote Luke 11:35 and applied it to this topic, you'd be amazed how accurate you would be!

What is really amazing is how far Christians have gone to fail to see what worldliness is!:praying:

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

Clever? Yes. Accurate? No. See...there's this thing called context....

Actually, here's the rub for me: I'm not going to make a great deal of judgements based upon a 20kB picture on my computer screen regarding the contents of a magazine I'm not looking at.

17. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Follow this linkVulgar for your dissemination.

#17 Palatka51, Mar 14, 2008
  18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I did notice the KJV translators did not translate any word in the text as "vulgar".

Ed

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Personally, I kinda' like paraphrases that have been around awhile and pass the test of time -

[​IMG]

;)

Ed

20. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Biblezine

So what’s the charge?
    This doesn't concern translation, it's merely a different format!

Is the format too different for you???
    (It would be for me! ...but I won't condemn it either)

Would you consider a font change from ther original KJV’s Gothic script to a Roman font to be a modern translation compromise?

Do you think these words by the translators of the KJV might be bent just a bit to include formating differences?
    Can you imagine the translators of the KJV complaining that a particular bibles format wouldn’t be profitable to the saving of souls?

Rob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.