1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Trees In The Garden

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by GordonSlocum, Jan 30, 2007.

1. GordonSlocum

GordonSlocum New Member

2:9. And the Lord God planted all sorts of trees in the garden-beautiful trees that produced delicious fruit. At the center of the garden he placed the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

3:15. The Lord God placed the man in the Garden of Eden to tend and care for it.
    16. But the Lord God gave him this warning: "You may freely eat any fruit in the garden 17. except fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. If you eat of its fruit, you will surely die."

7. At that moment, their eyes were opened, and they suddenly felt shame at their nakedness. So they strung fig leaves together around their hips to cover themselves.

21. And the Lord God made clothing from animal skins for Adam and his wife.
    22. Then the Lord God said, "The people have become as we are, knowing everything, both good and evil. What if they eat the fruit of the tree of life? Then they will live forever!"
    23. So the Lord God banished Adam and his wife from the Garden of Eden, and he sent Adam out to cultivate the ground from which he had been made.
    24. After banishing them from the garden, the Lord God stationed mighty angelic beings* to the east of Eden. And a flaming sword flashed back and forth, guarding the way to the tree of life.

A. First Adam and Eve were not commanded not to eat of the fruit of the tree of life. See verse 16.
    B. Second the only tree they were not to eat of was the tree of the knowledge or good and evil. See verse 17
    C. If you eat you will surely die. Verse 17
    D. The Lord God said, “What if they eat the fruit of the tree of life? Then they will live forever!” verse 22
    E. God makes sure they can not eat of this tree. Verses23,24

If they could eat of the tree of life and live forever in that the tree was there with the tree of good and evil then that would imply they would not live forever as humans.

But because God told them they would die has some bearing on the matter. If they would only die by eating of the tree of good and evil and even if they did not eat of the tree of life would they have lived forever?

Or if they had eaten of the tree of life before they ate of the tree of good and evil would their state be change to an eternal state as innocent people only and in so doing not be able to be tempted?

In their fallen state had they eaten of the tree of life would they be living eternally in the fallen state?

In their fallen state they were fore bitten to eat of the tree of life so that they would not live forever.

Are you inclined to believe this infers the physical state or physical and spiritual state or something else?

I think this could be a very good discussion. I would like to ask that you offer your feelings, opinions, and quote form scripture yourself.

Please forget about what others have written about and simply answer it yourself. Put it in your own words.

My thoughts:

1. If Adam and Eve had eaten of the tree of life in their state of innocence they would live forever in that state - both spiritually and physically and never be tempted. I can't prove it - it is what seems correct to me.

2. If Adam and eve had eaten of the tree of life after their eyes were opened they would have lived forever in that state both physically and spiritually.

3. In the state they were in prior to the fall they would have continued to live in the Garden in that state until they either ate of the tree of life or the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I think so. If they had not disobeyed God I believe humans, all humans, would live forever. Death was not part of God's original plan for humans. Now would humans have lived forever on this earth? I don't know it would look like over-crowding would have been a problem. I am sure God could have gotten around that though.

==Once the "test" had passed I think the human race would have been safe from that point on. Adam and Eve failed the test and therefore the human race has not been safe.

==Yes, and can you imagine how horrible that would be? Imagine living with cancer for eternity, or how about living for eternity with injuries suffered in a car crash. This planet would have been turned into hell.

=="IF" I understand your question correctly I believe that all of the warnings were both physical and spiritual.

3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

By implication you believe Adam and Eve were not created to "live forever". I agree.

I think had they eaten of the Tree of Life they would have gained immortality.

Not physically. The eating of the Tree did not cause physical death.

I do not think it was ever the plan for them to live forever in the Garden. Is Heaven better than the Garden?

4. GordonSlocum

GordonSlocum New Member

I would say that Adam and Eve would still be living in the garden today if they had not eaten the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

The interesting point that fascinates me is would Adam and Eve, had they eaten of the tree of life while in their innocent state would they then have sealed their position and then be unable to make a decision to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. I would lean in that direction.

5. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Which leads to the question if eating of the Tree brought physical death, then where would the billions of people and multi-billions of animals have lived had they not eaten of the tree of knowledge?

Secondly, is living in the Garden better than our Heavenly home we enter upon death? Which would you rather have?

It is my belief that they had not yet eaten of the Tree of Life and was an act of Grace by God to remove them from its presence after the fall. Lest they live forever(immortal) in a fallen state.